Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Bargello-

(6 Posts)
petra Sun 13-Apr-14 06:20:51

Thank you. I think I will give it a try.

FlicketyB Sat 12-Apr-14 20:44:34

I tend to use both words indiscriminately as I have books using both words.

absent Sat 12-Apr-14 20:14:58

That's interesting – to me, anyway. I have always heard this kind of embroidery called Florentine work in the UK and bargello (though why with a lower case b I don't know) in the US.

FlicketyB Sat 12-Apr-14 20:04:09

Bargello is about the only handcraft I can manage. Having got on so well with it I tried to extend my repertoire to more traditional tapestry patterns like floral motifs etc, without success. Over the years I have acquired quite a library of different patterns which I choose and then use with my own choice of colours.

It is reasonable hard wearing and I have a number of bargello small cushions, but I am currently working a cover for a chair and for that I am doing each stitch of the strips as gros point and not as threads taken the width of each strip, which one usually does because I do not think it will be hard wearing enough.

tiggypiro Sat 12-Apr-14 19:35:25

Choose a good quality wool yarn and it should be fine. Also don't try to use very long threads as they will lose a few fibres everytime you pull it through the canvas and weaken the thread.
Bargello is good fun to do and grows quickly so I do hope you enjoy doing it.

petra Sat 12-Apr-14 19:22:41

I've never done this craft before, but I love the look of it.
What I would like to do is make cushion covers for the loose cushions on the back of a settee. How hard wearing is it.
I know it's not the same as sitting on a cushion but I think they will still get a reasonable amount of wear.