Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Pattern help please, I'm stuck!!

(15 Posts)
rosequartz Mon 05-May-14 21:33:22

I just had to try it, so I knitted a little piece with a border of two stitches either side, two repeats of pattern and alternate purl rows.

I realise it is perhaps not the only pattern row but it looks nice, not too lacey and quite easy.

Perhaps I made it sound more complicated when trying to explain it step by step!

Ana Mon 05-May-14 21:16:59

Re-reading your first post, rosequartz, I realise I missed the 'k1' after your increasing instructions, sorry. We're all right! smile

rosequartz Mon 05-May-14 21:10:38

I didn't say re-knit surely?

You end up with the same number of stitches you started with:
Start with 4 stitches on lh needle
increase into the first stitch (knit into back then front of 1st stitch) = 2 stitches on rh needle and 3 stitches on lh needle
Then knit the next stitch = 3 stitches on rh needle and 2 on lh needle
Then knit 2 stitches together = 4 stitches on rh needle.

The only reknitting I mentioned was if it all went wrong and nanapug sent it to me to unravel and reknit which could take 5 years.

nanapug Mon 05-May-14 21:00:26

Sorted, thank you ladies, I knew I could rely on you all x

Agus Mon 05-May-14 19:59:22

I was thinking the same as Tanith'and Nellie. Much simpler.

mcem Mon 05-May-14 19:52:30

Ps I realise that she isn't actually increasing at this stage . I just meant that at the end of a row you need to take care to keep it neat and working twice into the first stitch can be tricky. Do let us know how it goes!

mcem Mon 05-May-14 19:48:57

Nellie I think Rose said the same as you. She didn't indicate that you'd reknit any.
Inc in first stitch, k1 then knit next 2 together and keep going. Mind you I always think that increasing like this can give a rather 'loopy'edge. I have adapted this type of instruction to neaten the edge but that might just confuse. Without seeing it, I wouldn't know if my 'adapting'would suit!

Elegran Mon 05-May-14 19:30:35

I agree too. If you increase in the first stitch, knit the next, then knit the next two together, you end up with the same number of stitches as you started with - which must be good.hmm

Ana Mon 05-May-14 18:39:57

I agree with tanith and Nelliemoser!

Nelliemoser Mon 05-May-14 18:37:47

Nanapug How many stitches do you have on your needles to start with ?
where are you in your piece of knitting.

Rosequartz that does not make sense to me. You cannot "re knit" the increased stitches on your right hand needle you have have just created by increasing, without turning the knitting surely ? confused

I really have to hold the knitting and just do things to understand a lot of knitting instructions. Visualising it in the abstract is beyond me.

What I interpret it as, is increase in first stitch, knit the next stitch. knit next two stitches together, but keep going in the same direction.

I am sure another knitter will be along soon to confuse us further. wink

rosequartz Mon 05-May-14 18:05:04

Ps if it's wrong I'm not offering to unpick and re-knit in 3ply - the baby would be at school by the time I finished!

Iam64 Mon 05-May-14 18:02:06

you may be doing that if you're working to a pattern. I'm currently knitting poppies, and the pattern in similar when you began to shape the petal. Knit forward and then back into 1st stick, knit two together - and similar at the opposite end.

rose quartz explanation is the right one, I think smile

tanith Mon 05-May-14 17:51:19

I would read it as increasing in the first stitch then knitting the next stitch and then knitting two together. End up with four stitches again.

rosequartz Mon 05-May-14 17:51:18

I think it means increase in the first stitch ie knit into back and front of 1st stitch then 2 stitches are on rh needle, then k1 k2 together, ending up with 4 stitches on rh needle

Can you try it out on a little test square first and see if it looks like the pattern picture?

nanapug Mon 05-May-14 17:21:02

My pattern says the following :- Inc in first stitch, K1, K2 together..... So am I increasing in the first stitch and knitting the K1 in that or what was the first stitch before I made one IYSWIM? It is part of a pattern and is critical to get the pattern lining up. Am clearly having a thick moment!! Help appreciated xx