Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Some knitting advice please!

(28 Posts)
Nona4ever Fri 03-Feb-17 14:24:39

I really only started knitting last year - a few odd toys for the GC so my technical knowledge is rather sparse. Help gratefully appreciated.
I've just got a book of Christmas knits I'd like to try - 3 wise men, robins etc, but they are all in 4-ply wool. For my efforts last year I bought stacks of DK wool and have loads left.
So, two questions.
Can I use DK for a 4-ply pattern and if so what do I do about needle size?
Or does anyone know a source of 4-ply in wondrous colours ( maybe odd quantities) which I could buy?
One problem is that I can't get out much and do all my shopping online.
Many many thanks for any help.

Jalima Sun 26-Feb-17 09:47:31

Nelliemoser Sirdar have a FB page ( if you are on FB).
If you message them they will answer promptly, probably after the weekend now, and tell them you are puzzled and it doesn't seem to work out.

I had a problem and they were extremely helpful

Nelliemoser Sun 26-Feb-17 09:35:43

I am just off loading (having a rant) about the pattern I am doing on chunky yarn It's the increasing on the sleeves that seems wrong.
As in increasing from 39 to 57 stitches "every following eighth row". then knit to reach 46cm.
There are nine blocks of 8 row increases which would take the sleeve way past the 46cm where the yoke starts.
I fiddled with the spacing for days ages trying to get it right, trying to calculate it and I eventually took the spaceing of the last 5 increases down to 4rows. sirdar/hayfield will be getting a piece of my mine. What is left of it after all this knitting grief.

Jalima Sat 04-Feb-17 17:40:20

I saw these online:
www.sirdar.co.uk/images/products/Elephants%20by%20Sue%20Jobson%20-%20Sirdar%20Knitalong%20Part2.pdf

Jalima Sat 04-Feb-17 17:38:16

They both wanted my Rose Fairy so I kept her myself and she cheers me up every time I see her grin
They can play with her when they come here!

PoshGran Sat 04-Feb-17 17:18:02

Good advice given Nona.

It might also be worthwhile investigating if there's a Knit & Natter group nearby that you could manage to attend occasionally. They're usually welcoming groups & may even be able to help with transport.

Most prolific knitters will have a "stash" of not only incomplete projects, but oddments that they know will be useful "sometime". Regular Knit & Natterers (& other crafters) will be pleased to let you have odd bits of wool to complete your work at no cost.

Have fun.smile

Firecracker123 Sat 04-Feb-17 12:25:46

If anyone is on Facebook there is a good group called Knit and Natter, Hooked on our Needles. It's a friendly group.

Thingmajig Sat 04-Feb-17 12:00:52

I have knitted up some 4 ply patterns with DK wool and vice versa. I use the correct needles for the wool (not what the patterns says) and have found that it's knitted up ok ... just a bit bigger (or smaller if I've used 4ply for DK). I'd say you jump up or down one size, so I use the length measurements for that size.

However, for knitting toys it's probably easier to use the specified yarn thickness. Might end up with some interesting toys though!!! grin

jusnoneed Sat 04-Feb-17 09:47:29

loveknitting.com is another site I find patterns on. They also sell wool.

storynanny Sat 04-Feb-17 00:01:36

I would use the double knitting and just accept the toy will turn out a bit bigger. But I would not use 4mm needles for toy making. If the knitted fabric is very dense , the stuffing will be enclosed better and not show through. Personally I would use 3.5 or 3.75 . Using 4mm will be too "see through"

Firecracker123 Fri 03-Feb-17 20:52:36

Nona4ever Happy knitting. I'm sure your first Rose Fairy will be lovely.

Nona4ever Fri 03-Feb-17 20:48:03

Thank you Jamila and Firecracker123 I've joined Ravelry - 3 GGD to fight over my first Rose Fairy!

Jalima Fri 03-Feb-17 20:04:57

These fairy dolls are lovely (there are more in the set) if you have DGD:
www.amazon.co.uk/Patons-Flower-Knitting-Pattern-Booklet/dp/B0054DDHYE?tag=gransnetforum-21
The Rose Fairy is available free from Ravelry.

You don't have to use the recommended yarn, but using the same make of yarn would be best because even DK varies slightly.

Jalima Fri 03-Feb-17 19:59:47

ps 8ply is DK in English!

Jalima Fri 03-Feb-17 19:59:12

If you use DK for a 4 ply pattern it will come out bigger so, if the pattern tells you to knit for, say, 4" or 10cms you will have to make it a bit longer to be in proportion.
Most patterns have a tension guide eg 22 stitches and 24 rows for a 4" or 10cms square (or whatever).

Unless you are an experienced knitter, it could be too difficult.
The easiest thing would be to try to find a pattern in DK or to buy some inexpensive 4ply yarn and use your DK yarn for something else.

Ravelry have free patterns and I saw these too (I like the baubles)

www.loveknitting.com/christmas-knitting-patterns

Nona4ever Fri 03-Feb-17 19:10:52

Thanks shysal I've got a bid in on that EBay job lot.
And I guess if I'm back to using the DK wool with 4mm needles, I'll have 3 very plump Wise Men and a cheeky Robin who's let himself go. I can live with that......( and identify with it )

NanaandGrampy Fri 03-Feb-17 17:09:25

Www.deramores.com , I buy my wool online , I think they do mixed packs of tiny balls of wool for toy knitting. Might be worth a look .

Marelli Fri 03-Feb-17 15:54:03

eBay is a great place for odds and ends of wool. Charity shops are a bit hit and miss so you must grab it whenever you see it! I find that buying the large cones of wool that are used for knitting machines are a great buy, and if wound up into balls can be doubled up and used more or less as 4-ply.

Nona4ever Fri 03-Feb-17 15:53:34

What a quick and detailed response! Thanks all.

Jayh Fri 03-Feb-17 15:30:40

Try Kemps online wool shop. It has discounts on a variety of yarns.

Nelliemoser Fri 03-Feb-17 15:29:27

I don't think it is a simple as trying to knit DK yarn on 4ply size needles I think you would find the needles will get very crowded with yarn and be tight to knit.

Try all the local charity shops. I had a lovely haul of needles and crochet hooks etc, that came with a knitting needle bag.

jusnoneed Fri 03-Feb-17 15:00:56

You'd usually use size 10 (3.25mm) needles for 4ply with ribbing done on 12's (2.75). Double knit usual sizes 8 (4mm) and 10. As Firecracker said things will come out bigger.

Ebay has lots of wool sellers. Charity shops good for small amounts.
I bought some DK yesterday in Hobbycraft, on offer buy 2 get 1 free, they may have 4ply too.

Firecracker123 Fri 03-Feb-17 14:55:08

If you look on wool band it will tell you the needle size to use. But you could use larger or smaller needles.

shysal Fri 03-Feb-17 14:53:04

If you keep looking on Ebay you can find job lots of 4 ply. This auction in the link is probably getting too expensive, but keep trying.
I am not a great knitter but small items are very satisfying aren't they? Good luck.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222388441365?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Firecracker123 Fri 03-Feb-17 14:51:23

On the wool band it usually says what needle size to use. If you were making a jumper you would have to be careful with sizing, but with a toy personally don't think it really matters.

Firecracker123 Fri 03-Feb-17 14:44:38

If you are just making toys and want to use DK wool up you already have I would say use it,the toys will just come up bigger. Why don't you join Ravelry (it's free to join ) lots of advice and free patterns as well.