Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitted nativity set - has anyone else made one?

(62 Posts)
Witzend Wed 22-Aug-18 21:10:09

Saw a pattern mentioned on mumsnet and thought I'd give it a go - it's a Jean Greehowe (IIRC). Apparently quite easy!
Was going to get a bought nativity for Gdcs but they're still rather little for anything breakable.
Now thinking of how to make a stable to put it all in - some of the empty shoeboxes stored in the garage - the ones dh has wanted to chuck a few times - might come in handy.

Jalima1108 Wed 22-Aug-18 21:22:02

I have knitted part of one (the craft group I go to undertook the whole nativity set).
It turned out very well - but I think it would be quite a task to knit the whole lot; perhaps you are a more dedicated knitter than me smile

We used that pattern

Jangran99 Wed 22-Aug-18 21:34:23

A dear friend knitted the complete set for me to use in my Reception class many years ago! My own grandchildren have loved it and we still set it out every year although they are not little now. The loo roll inners are the only part I’ve had to replace.

Witzend Wed 22-Aug-18 22:09:02

Oh, loo roll inners! Thanks for that! Pattern hasn't arrived yet so I hadn't thought of that - must start saving them.

storynanny Wed 22-Aug-18 22:35:23

Ive still got the one I made when my adult children were little. As they got older I never knew from one day to the next where they would move the figures to or what they would pose them doing! Often the baby was up marys dress and joseph was wearing the kings crown and giving the donkey a piggy back!

muffinthemoo Thu 23-Aug-18 12:05:38

Can’t knit so bought a wooden one.

Last year Thomas the Tank Engine was spotted replacing the baby Jesus in the crib.

I should have used this as a teachable moment but it was so funny I left him there for a while...

maryrose54 Thu 23-Aug-18 15:44:23

I knitted that one for the grandchildren a couple of years ago.They love acting out the nativity with it.Made two baby Jesus as he kept disappearing.

Maggiemaybe Thu 23-Aug-18 16:25:36

I unwrapped my ceramic set one year and the shepherd, carrying a sheep round his neck, had lost his head. He looked like a gruesome hybrid.

My smaller set is made from something like Fimo. Several characters are missing eyes and Joseph did a runner years ago. A knitted set sounds like a lovely idea, but I doubt my skills are up to the task.

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Aug-18 18:08:22

Having knitted part of the set I know how fiddly it is!!

I didn't like the ceramic set I bought so it went back to the charity shop where I bought it brand new. I hope it found another but loving home.

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Aug-18 18:09:23

Now I'm wondering whether to knit one.
We have a Sylvanian Families cottage in the attic which could make a nice stable …….

Glitterknitbaby Thu 23-Aug-18 19:44:12

The Jean Greenhowe pattern is not difficult to do but does take a lot of patience and time, not something you can do in a hurry, if you want it for Christmas 2018 you need to make a start as soon as the pattern

Glitterknitbaby Thu 23-Aug-18 22:34:30

Only just noticed, that should have ended with arrives.

Bellasnana Fri 24-Aug-18 14:29:59

My darling mum knitted at least three of these nativity sets. I still have mine and , when I bring it out each year, still marvel at her patience.

Good luck Witzend, it will be worth the hard work smile

grandtanteJE65 Fri 24-Aug-18 15:04:29

The kind of thin wooden box that tangerines are sold in are fine for stables, either used as they are, or taken apart and put together to make a stable if you or your OH is good with a glue gun or a hammer and small tacks.

I don't knit well enough to contemplate a nativity scene, so I am full of admiration.

Hope you can see photo I tried uploading

Witzend Sat 25-Aug-18 12:27:21

Pattern arrived yesterday, and since I don't have nearly enough 'oddments', I spent ages ordering all the different colours. The only place I can buy knitting wool locally is John Lewis, and theirs tends to be the considerably more expensive types, so I was glad to find umpteen colours in a cheap and cheerful yarn online.

I will have an awful lot of 'oddments' left at the end of it, though, since only a very little of some colours is needed.
I can foresee a 'rainbow' blanket some time in the future, or maybe Battersea Dogs' Home wouldn't object to rainbow coats for the dogs?
Mind you if (!) I have time at the end of it, there are some nice little tree decorations in the book as well.

Witzend Sat 25-Aug-18 12:43:39

PS - thanks for tip about tangerine boxes, Grandetante, your pic is lovely.
I've looked through the instructions, and obviously a lot of it will be fiddly, since pieces are so small, but at least it's all just garter or st st. I just can't cope any more with fancy or lacy stitches, always ended up going wrong, cursing, and having to undo it.

Another thing I know I'm going to need is a much better 'reading' light, which I've been meaning to get anyway.

shysal Sat 25-Aug-18 16:31:19

Last year a made a knitted Christmas tree and ornaments, for which I read about the free pattern on GN. I thoroughly enjoyed doing it. The decorations were very simple if you need more ideas to use up your wool, witzend. I hope you solve the stable problem.
www.knitting-bee.com/free-knitting-patterns/free-knitted-toy-patterns/advent-christmas-tree-free-knitting-pattern

Witzend Tue 28-Aug-18 11:24:22

While waiting for my umpteen colours of cheap-and-cheerful to arrive, I dug out just enough cream from my meagre stash and have made the 3 sheep! The ears and tails have to be the tiniest things ever to come off a pair of knitting needles.

Just as well I had held on to a big bag of polyester stuffing, left over from washing and restuffing a huge floppy elephant a dd had coveted for Christmas at about 10. He had been languishing in a wardrobe for ages, grubby, coming apart at the seams, and missing a lot of his 'innards'.

Witzend Tue 28-Aug-18 11:25:57

Meant to add, thanks for that, Shysal! The pattern is lovely - something else I know Gdcs will love.

Billybob4491 Tue 28-Aug-18 11:34:02

Witzend - I have knitted the complete nativity set a few years ago, even knitted a donkey to go with it! It was from the Jean Greenhowe pattern. With the leftover wool I knitted Christmas decorations for the tree, its my hobby.

Thorntrees Tue 28-Aug-18 13:48:19

Only yesterday I found my book of Christmas knitting patterns and decided to do a nativity set. I got the book on Amazon and it’s got lots of lovely small Christmas bits to knit. I think the figures are smaller than the Jean Greenhowe ones but they look very cute. I have quite a few bits of wool to make a start and see what else I need as I go along, There is a wool company on line that sells small balls specially for craft work but not sure if I can name them. I did warn my Grandaughter I wasn’t promising which Christmas the set might be done for ! Going to start with one of the three kings this afternoon.

Witzend Tue 28-Aug-18 14:21:25

Oh, Billybob, where did you find the donkey pattern? I'd love to include a donkey!
Here are my 3 sheep! (Had to send a pic to the sister who thinks I'm off my head to be doing it!)

Witzend Tue 28-Aug-18 14:44:19

PS, found the JG donkey pattern online.

Billybob4491 Tue 28-Aug-18 17:17:32

Love your sheep Witzend, my donkey is a bit knock-kneed due to inadequate stuffing! still I enjoy it, husband said my Joseph bears a striking resemblance to Bin Laden!

Witzend Wed 29-Aug-18 22:21:15

All my cheap and cheerful colours have arrived - I'm going to have so much left over! The balls are huge, but still a fraction of the price of even the cheaper stuff in John Lewis.

I've started one of the Kings - I'll call him Melchior. IIRC there was a Balthazar, but can't remember the name of the other. Anyone know?
I dare say the shepherds will be Tom, Dick and Harry...