Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

addicted to my knitting

(39 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 01-Apr-19 09:26:17

Anyone else hooked on knitting.I think about what i am currently doing and what i want to do and cant wait to sit down and pick up my needles. Currently knitting for a new baby boy due in August and loving it. Also making items for a stall my knitting group run later this month to raise money for training guide dogs. My daughter bought me a great knitting book for MD called the knitting bible, full of hints and tips, and different stitches to try out. I had an email fromSaga yesterday about the benefits of knitting and it is great for the brain, so here's hoping i will keep mine for a long while yet!!! smile

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 01-Apr-19 09:35:13

I'm more hooked on sewing but go through phases. Patchwork is really my thing but since I fell down the stairs and hurt my hand I've not returned to it properly yet. Then there's the guilt about 'UFO's - unfinished objects.
Do you find that the next project is more exciting than the the one you haven't quite finished?
More self discipline is required, I feel.
Good luck with the knitting.

Witzend Mon 01-Apr-19 09:36:33

I'm a bit the same. After a rather mammoth knitting blitz before last Christmas, I have a mass of different coloured yarns to use up.
So in between another Nativity set, I'm also making twiddle muffs and knitted breasts (!) for the local hospital, and the odd blanket or clothes for Gdd's baby dolls.

I'd like to make jumpers etc. for Gdcs (2 1/2 and nearly 4) but hardly ever seem to find patterns that aren't over-fussy or complicated. Apart from disliking fussy patterns I can't cope with fancy stitches at all.

Jaysbee Mon 01-Apr-19 09:46:53

Yes, I'm a knitting addict too, there's always at least one project on the needles! Socks, mittens, blankets and the odd sweater would be my usual knits. Good for the brain, especially if following a pattern whilst simultaneously watching a scandi noir with subtitles! smile

BBbevan Mon 01-Apr-19 10:42:47

Yes, I always have to have a bit of knitting on the go. Currently making a blanket for DH ( his choice of wool, colour etc) for cool evenings. If at a loss ! I have made cotton face flannels, Christmas wreaths, and my default, socks . Find it very calming and I don't like just sitting

Thingmajig Mon 01-Apr-19 11:25:25

I was knitting like someone possessed for a recent sale the church knitting group had ... the pins were on fire trying to get as much done as I could. Now a bit more relaxed but still knitting for the refugees again and trying to fit some knitting for the grands too.
Never like to sit doing nothing as I then get tempted to lie down on the couch! smile
I don't wear one, but apparently knitting fairly gets your step count up on the Fitbit thingy!!! grin

Maggiemaybe Mon 01-Apr-19 12:12:43

I’ve got one of the poor woman’s Fitbits, a MiFit, and I certainly can’t fool it by knitting. Only proper steps count!

MamaCaz Mon 01-Apr-19 12:37:36

It seems like a great addiction to me.
When I took knitting again six years ago, after a twenty-year break, I had arthritis in my fingers and struggled. However, I found that the more I knitted, the better it got, and now my fingers no longer ache at all. smile

Millie22 Mon 01-Apr-19 13:43:52

Yes love it. I've just finished some dolls clothes for my little gd. The next project is a summer top.

SueDonim Mon 01-Apr-19 14:51:16

I've taken up knitting and crochet again recently. The modern yarns and patterns are so lovely and it is very satisfying. I had a 600+ mile car journey yesterday and when I wasn't driving, I did my knitting.

I was annoyed when it got dark and I couldn't see any more to continue. I did also consider what might happen should there be a car accident but then I thought 'Woman impaled on own knitting needles' would make a very good Daily Mail headline! grin

BradfordLass72 Mon 01-Apr-19 16:26:55

Me too. It's just about the only craftwork I can do these days with so little sight.
I can literally do it with eyes closed. smile

Of course I only make simple things: hats, scarves, slippers and bags and these are turned over to the local community food bank to pass on to anyone who needs them.

I don't mind being addicted at all and it's so relaxing and therapeutic.

Oldandverygrey Mon 01-Apr-19 16:30:59

Another knitting addict here. I am a charity knitter so always have some project on the go, have enough yarn in my home to stock a Wool Shop!

Grannyknot Mon 01-Apr-19 16:54:51

Me too! I love knitting, I find it super soothing. I've just signed off two teenage pupils to whom I taught knitting as part of their Duke of Edinburgh award and learning a new skill. We had so much fun and they (and their mothers) are delighted with me.

Here's a fab project for leftover wool (doesn't have to be with sock wool, as long as you keep to the same weight). Photo to follow 'cause I have to hunt for it.

Grannyknot Mon 01-Apr-19 16:59:16

The pattern is called Sock Yarn Blanket. The pattern is continuous so there is no sewing up required. Isn't it fab?

Oldandverygrey Mon 01-Apr-19 17:47:56

Yes its great Grannyknot, very colourful.

Witzend Mon 01-Apr-19 19:46:31

Brilliant blanket, Grannyknot! Where did you find the pattern? I've googled, but the only similar ones I've found seem to need the squares sewn together.

FountainPen Mon 01-Apr-19 20:13:52

I learned how to knit join-as-you-go mitred squares in a class given by Claire Cromptom some years ago. The instructions are in her book The Knitter's Bible.

Thingmajig Mon 01-Apr-19 21:29:16

That's a gorgeous blanket Grannyknot!

Grannyknot Mon 01-Apr-19 21:45:27

Hi Witzend you have to search for Mitred Sock Yarn Blanket.

The pic above is of my friend's blanket, I'll ask her for the pattern she used, but I found this blog post with instructions included, in the meanwhile:

www.theknittingsquirrel.com/how-to-knit-a-mitred-square-blanket/

I plan to start mine soon.

Grannyknot Mon 01-Apr-19 21:46:13

Thanks for that info FountainPen ...

agnurse Mon 01-Apr-19 21:48:46

I am a cross stitch addict. I buy the new copy of Cross Stitcher magazine most months. (We can get it here in Canada. I'm strongly considering ordering a subscription - it is possible to do that overseas, although it costs more than if I lived in the UK.)

I had a nursing student once who told me that she's a knitting addict, too. She's originally from quite a ways away, but close enough that she can visit her family periodically. She said she literally leaves her knitting needles at home (i.e. with her family) during the academic year, because she knows she won't get anything done academic-wise if she has them with her!

Grannyknot Mon 01-Apr-19 22:01:42

Here's another pattern for the blanket:

knittingsuna.blogspot.com/2011/04/mitered-square-blanket-pattern.html

I'm told it only seems complicated ...

SisterAct Mon 01-Apr-19 22:12:56

I used to knit years ago for a shop and was paid a penny a gram ?.

I have had a good few years break but now love it again and it’s helping the diet ?

Bathsheba Mon 01-Apr-19 22:19:35

I made one of those 'no sew' blankets Grannyknot, but the direction of the diagonal alternated with every row. This started off as a 'scrap buster', but I ended up actually buying more yarn as it went on grin.

Marelli Mon 01-Apr-19 22:28:28

I have to have some knitting on the go at all times. It's such good therapy, especially the mindless sort where I'm so used to a pattern or shaping that I can do it almost automatically. I love knitting colourful socks, but when I've run out of people to knit them for, I turn to the very colourful woolly hats which get sent to the Seafarers' Mission.