Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Upcycling small furniture

(32 Posts)
RiebyG Thu 03-Oct-19 11:47:22

Anyone else made something old look stunning?

MissAdventure Thu 03-Oct-19 12:33:54

I've made plenty of stunning things look old, if that counts? grin

I've always got a few 'projects' on the go.

midgey Thu 03-Oct-19 12:34:57

Oh MissAdventure I am so totally with you!

BradfordLass72 Thu 03-Oct-19 12:53:24

I had a poor old bookcase which looked very miserable indeed. I painted it a glossy black and did decoupage pansies all down one side. It certainly looks happy now and has been very much admired.

Also an old stool which originally had a laminated plastic top which chipped and broke. I prised it off, sanded the top and painted the stool red. Then I painted little white daisies and leaves around the top.

With a funny old chest of drawers I painted ivy leaves along the front and renewed the tarnished gilt handles with wooden ones.

But perhaps the oldest thing I made look stunning was me. grin

Namsnanny Thu 03-Oct-19 15:10:59

RiebuG* .. what did you refurbish?
I have lots of projects on the go...my problem is not finishing! hmm

Namsnanny Thu 03-Oct-19 15:13:00

MissAdventure...grin Well said ?

rosecarmel Thu 03-Oct-19 15:23:33

Oh, yes- I've always enjoyed doing it- Last project was turning a vintage curio wall shelf into a small standing bookshelf by adding angled legs to it from an old footstool-

rubysong Thu 03-Oct-19 15:25:51

I have a small cupboard which my mother bought at an auction when I was a child. It had various lives and colours while I was at home (kitchen bathroom, bedside etc.). When the house was cleared it came to us and has been by the bed for twenty years. It is now a very smart kitchen island, thanks to chalk paint, new knobs and a new top. It is a good match for our kitchen units.

Shazel1 Thu 03-Oct-19 22:50:10

I had old sofa I hand stitched patchwork new cover for lol turned out really nice was proud of my self ? love skip dipping and bringing old stuff to life love painted furniture I refuse to buy new stuff lol

Willow10 Wed 13-Nov-19 18:59:57

When I downsized 6 years ago my brown furniture looked completely out of place and overwhelmed the new rooms. Since then I've painted everything off-white - tv cabinet, coffee table, chests of drawers, rocking chair, nest of tables, sideboard, picture and mirror frames, kitchen units, table and chairs. On a set of 9 drawers I wallpapered each drawer front in various patterns of duck egg blue. I'm really pleased with the results and everything looks so much lighter. I have to warn visitors not to sit still too long or they may get painted!

ayse Wed 13-Nov-19 19:20:30

This was a nasty dark red colour so I decided to upcycle. I also did up an old tray.

Callistemon Wed 13-Nov-19 19:33:43

Lovely, ayse

I watched someone upcycling an old bedside cupboard on that programme (can't remember the nams) the other day and she used Ordnance Survey maps of that area - it looked great.

Sillygrandma5GK Wed 13-Nov-19 23:29:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Coolgran65 Wed 13-Nov-19 23:58:47

I've done several items. Chunky wooden table and chairs....I painted the chair legs and the sides of the ladder backs ivory and then applied random decoupage over the paintwork. Painted the table legs ivory.

A pine wardrobe with matching two tallboys and two chests of drawers. I painted the doors and alternate drawer fronts a soft greyish pink, the other drawers were done in ivory.

A heavy blanket box and an 8 drawer tall narrow lamp thingy was painted sage green with ivory drawers. This was in the living room and it holds a cream Belleek lamp..

What else, our bedside table was upcycled. I got it for £5 in a second hand shop.

Several lovely milking stools. Painted cream with sage green butterflies.

Everything gets a coat of beeswax.

Willow10 Fri 15-Nov-19 12:09:14

A use -snap!

Willow10 Fri 15-Nov-19 12:10:28

Ayse! Sorry, stupid predictive text.

BlueBelle Fri 15-Nov-19 12:19:37

My Aunts old Whatnot which was rather a worn out brown wood

merlotgran Fri 15-Nov-19 12:31:23

I Annie Sloaned my mum's old pine dresser.

merlotgran Fri 15-Nov-19 12:33:20

Old fabric armchair, chalk painted and waxed. Comes up like leather!

Peggy approves.

ladymuck Fri 15-Nov-19 12:36:54

I wish I could say 'yes'...but I'm so afraid of ruining something that I haven't got the courage to give it a go.

Willow10 Fri 15-Nov-19 15:54:32

Ayse - that would have been the lovely Emma Walker on Money for Nothing. Sadly deceased one year ago. Wonderful talent and a beautiful smile.

Willow10 Fri 15-Nov-19 15:55:51

Merlotgran, that looks amazing!

Willow10 Fri 15-Nov-19 15:59:43

Callistemon -that was meant for you. I'll go now.blush

Callistemon Fri 15-Nov-19 17:14:53

Thanks Willow10, oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that she died. That makes her makeover of that bedside table even more precious.

Callistemon Fri 15-Nov-19 17:15:07

You're all very clever!