Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Pinterest, am I being thick here?

(40 Posts)
mrsgreenfingers56 Sun 17-Nov-19 12:49:34

Ladies does anyone fully understand this Pinterest site with lots of lovely knitting and crochet items? The illustration is there but when you click in I don't understand how to actually get the pattern. Some have said you have to pay for but the others sometimes have comments "How do I get this pattern?" Miserable winter days now and would do some knitting and just recently found this site so new to it. Any help would be much appreciated. Do anyone else use this site with success?

pinkquartz Sun 17-Nov-19 12:53:06

I can't answer for Pinterest but if you want to explore free knitting patterns there is a very good free site called "All Free Knitting"
They also feature other crafts I think.

M0nica Sun 17-Nov-19 13:17:45

I think Pinterest is mainly people posting pictures of things they like or have made rather than a source for the patterns they use.

I have never seen 'All Free Knitting' although I will be off to visit it as soon as I have finished this GN session.

Anothger site to look at is Ravelry www.ravelry.com/account/login

NanaandGrampy Sun 17-Nov-19 14:57:49

Not all pictures on Pinterest are links . So on some you can click through to buy a pattern or onto a blog where you might find the pattern for free .

It’s a great site for saving inspiring pictures for future projects .

Gemini1789 Sun 17-Nov-19 15:35:52

I think that since the last IOS update “they” have done something to stop us getting into Pinterest. You used to be able to get to the patterns but I read that you have to go round the houses now and go in via google or something. If you google ‘ why can’t I get into Pinterest ‘ they tell you what to do. I couldn’t be bothered. I’m hoping they put it back on the next update.

MissAdventure Sun 17-Nov-19 15:44:38

I've never understood pinterest.

I know if I find anything interesting and click a link that takes me there then I may as well give up.

MamaCaz Sun 17-Nov-19 16:05:27

Normally, I just use Pinterest as a way to look for (and save) pictures that give me ideas/inspiration for some project that I am planning, but quite a lot of the sewing and craft-type pins that I have 'saved' do have links to patterns or tutorials.

MamaCaz Sun 17-Nov-19 16:09:46

I do agree with whoever said that it has got harder to get into Pinterest - these days, I am often prompted to join up or download the app when all I want to do is 'save' a picture! It seems to take me a few attempts these days!

Happysexagenarian Wed 20-Nov-19 23:33:36

I use Pinterest the same way as MamaCaz, as inspiration and an aide memoire.
If you click on the 'Visit' link bar below a picture that should take you to the original source. But many Pins are re-pins, simply repinning someone else's pin. Pinterest has become rather overloaded with duplicate pins, but it's still a useful source of ideas, inspiration and tutorials for crafters and DIYers etc.

welbeck Wed 20-Nov-19 23:46:03

why is it called pinterest?

MamaCaz Thu 21-Nov-19 10:32:58

welbeck
why is it called pinterest?

I presume it's because you 'pin' pictures that 'interest you onto virtual boards, where you can easily access them whenever you want.

shysal Thu 21-Nov-19 10:46:24

So pleased to read this thread, as I thought I was being dense too!

Marmight Thu 21-Nov-19 10:51:41

Another one here ?

Callistemon Thu 21-Nov-19 11:57:52

I've never 'got' Pinterest either

In fact until I heard someone pronounce it 'pinterest' the other week, I'd always called it Pee Interest. I still do, can't get out of the habit.

Oh MamaCaz, thanks, I thought it was because of pins (sewing, knitting or otherwise!).

mrsgreenfingers, Ravelry and Allfreeknitting as mentioned above and some online craft companies such as
Deramores have lots of free patterns, either included with kits or as free downloads without having to buy yarn.

Jzpap Thu 21-Nov-19 23:12:06

Love Pinterest. I have over 40 boards that cover my interests from fashion to food to interiors to anything that interests me. I use it just for inspiration. Sometimes there’s links to recipes which is handy. I don’t take it too seriously

Callistemon Thu 21-Nov-19 23:25:32

I'm no clearer, sorry confused

Ginny42 Thu 21-Nov-19 23:31:22

I lost interest in it after a few attempts. I still don't understand it's purpose really unless it's like an online scrap book, which I don't need.

rosecarmel Fri 22-Nov-19 01:26:04

Pinterest influenced US interiors- And it's sort of a shame because a lot of the decor it inspired isn't timesless, it's trendy-

And when you look at interiors on the realtor site/s the paint/color choices, inspired by by Pinterest and similar .. Oh ..

But it has its upside because it offers so much more- Its like a window into the world, a gigantic pictorial of infinite "interests"-

Ginny42 Fri 22-Nov-19 01:41:27

If you want a window on the world you might like pixabay.com which is fully accessible and free.

MamaCaz Fri 22-Nov-19 09:14:57

Most of my boards are craft related, but I have one onto which I have uploaded pictures of our old narrowboats.

Anyone Googling those boats by name would find my photos on Pinterest, and I hope that sooner or later that will lead to my finding out what eventually became of them - though I am pretty certain from a photo that I found elsewhere on the internet (and added to that board) that one of them will have been scrapped by now! It had become quite a wreck in the photo. sad

Marilla Fri 22-Nov-19 09:21:56

???
Can I join the club? I am also another Pinterest thicko.
Not sure how to create ‘boards’.
My daughter in law loves it. I just nod in agreement.
I’m going to try Pixabay. ?

Bathsheba Fri 22-Nov-19 21:00:08

I love Pinterest. I'm almost afraid sometimes to log in, because I know once I start browsing, I can waste a couple of hours without even being aware of the time passing!

It's where I find inspiration, and make all sorts of plans for things I want to make. But then I have to shake myself, and remember that while I'm spending all this time dreaming of things I might make at some point, I could make better use of my time by sitting at my craft table and actually making something!

BradfordLass72 Sat 23-Nov-19 11:40:26

I long ago gave up on Pinterest, it doesn't (p)interest me to fight a site for access.

If I want a certain type of picture, I Google it and go to 'images' - much easier and a lot more choice too, not just someon else's ideas.

I also specifically exclude Pinterest when searching.

rockgran Sat 23-Nov-19 12:38:44

Same here MamaCaz - I use Pinterest as a Pinboard for ideas -I have one for card making, one for sewing, one for painting, etc. I just save an idea or even my own photos to that board as a reminder for later. If I'm looking for inspiration I just browse. The more you use it the more it knows what you might like.

Teacheranne Sat 23-Nov-19 12:50:04

I had no problem with Pinterest once I downloaded the app rather than find it via google.

I now search for something using the search bar, say " free crochet blanket patterns" and get loads of pictures. When I click on a picture, a new screen opens with options to save or just read. I tend to open and read first to make sure it really is what I'm looking for then I save it to one of my boards.

There is also a feature link " more like this" which leads to even more patterns.

There are times when a search result is not exactly what I want, it might be a paid pattern or just a blog but I reckon at least 80% are accurate.

Before I downloading the app, I really struggled to find anything but now I spend hours on it! I get regular emails with ideas based on recent searches which are I enjoy looking at.