Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Hand made presents for grandchildren

(51 Posts)
Farmor15 Tue 17-Dec-19 21:00:47

Anyone else been making presents? I just made this activity bib for 9 month old GD. You can buy them, and older GD gets good entertainment from hers when travelling in car, but I decided to do one myself. She loves zips, so I incorporated one and various other playthings, all attached firmly.

I also made dolls clothes for another GD and decorated hand towels for the older 2. Enjoyed my bit of crafting, but now have to put away all sewing stuff before the invasion!

SirChenjin Tue 17-Dec-19 21:05:07

That’s brilliant - well done you! I’m sure your GD will have many hours of enjoyment with it smile

MamaCaz Tue 17-Dec-19 21:16:12

Oh, what a great idea, and it looks lovely. smile

Esther1 Tue 17-Dec-19 21:21:53

It looks lovely - what a special gift, made with love.

Grammaretto Tue 17-Dec-19 22:18:14

That's so lovely. I like to make things too but haven't done anything this year.
We made tree decorations together with clay which are in pride of place. Even the 2 yr old enjoyed herself.

Farmor15 Tue 17-Dec-19 22:58:11

Thanks for nice comments. I’ve always enjoyed making things though usually copying (stealing?) ideas from others ?. Looking forward to making some decorations with grandchildren- dil is very artistic and I’m expecting her to have lots of ideas.

rowanflower0 Wed 18-Dec-19 10:20:36

Lovely,Farmor!

I have 'made' for the hard-to-buy-for this year, large pots of growing garlic for the gardeners/cooks, and kilner jars of spiced plum chutney for he others - cos who doesn't like to eat something nice?

wolfie1 Wed 18-Dec-19 10:24:22

This is great.
I do fiddle mats for old folks homes. It's basically the same but larger with lots of things to fiddle with.
I knew a woman in a home that used to lift her skirt up every time someone passed by her. She was given one of these and she now plays with it and the skirt lifting stopped.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 18-Dec-19 10:35:13

Ive done paintings in the past for my daughter, at her request and of places she's been on holiday. She has quite a collection now.
Then her daughter, my granddaughter got in on the act so I've done a couple for her too, not landscapes, more fantasy type stuff. I know her taste will change and they'll end up in the loft but she's still enjoying them at the moment.
I also made a patchwork quilt for another granddaughter a few years ago, she still cuddles up under it.
Pots of grapefruit marmalade have been included in Christmas presents, along with Christmas cakes and puddings. All requested by my family so at least I know I'm giving what they want.
This year though it's all bought presents as I've got polymyalgia rheumatica and my hands are very stiff and sore.
Hopefully I'll be back in action for next year.

rubysong Wed 18-Dec-19 10:39:33

Going in the other direction - when DS1 was a poverty stricken student, I asked him to write me a story for my birthday. He did and it was very good. More thought went into that than buy me a box of chocs.

BusterTank Wed 18-Dec-19 10:47:41

I like the personal touch because It means more .

Theoddbird Wed 18-Dec-19 10:57:08

Brilliant I think hand made is lovely.

4allweknow Wed 18-Dec-19 11:44:37

Great idea. Juvenile equivalent to a twiddlemuff. Sure GD will love it and no doubt everyone else with the peace and quiet it will provide.

Merryweather Wed 18-Dec-19 12:33:10

Farm or that's absolutely brilliant. I love it. I need things like this for my baby x

Witzend Wed 18-Dec-19 12:41:30

I love the activity bib - did you have a pattern or was it just your own ideas?
With a new little Gdd due soon, all being well, that could well be something I'd like to make.

Haven't made anything for presents, but I did knit a massive Advent Calendar for Gdcs, which they are enjoying.

A niece last year knitted really lovely Christmas jumpers for my little Gdcs. . There was a crocheted snowman with a carrot nose stitched on, and apparently she learned to crochet on purpose. Full marks to her!

EthelJ Wed 18-Dec-19 13:50:27

They'd lovely farmore I wish I was good at craft but alas I am terrible. A homemade gift is the best, its personal and something to treasure.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 18-Dec-19 13:52:36

Farmore, it’s beautiful. Wish I could make something like that,your GD is going to love it

CarrieAnn Wed 18-Dec-19 13:57:27

I have done a load of knitting,mostly child size,which I've just delivered to the Salvation army,hoping that they have families who need these

Noname Wed 18-Dec-19 14:56:12

I have made some beeswax wraps and I think they look as good as those you can buy!

gillyknits Wed 18-Dec-19 15:07:08

I made one pair of these for myself and ended up getting “orders “ for another five pairs!

KnittyNannie Wed 18-Dec-19 16:09:45

Now that our nine grandchildren are getting older (ages 13 to 26), we decided that we would treat the whole family to a meal at a restaurant as their “main” presents. I have also made bags containing soap (made by me), bath poufs (crocheted by me), facecloths (knitted by me) and a little soap dish (not made by me) to give to them on Christmas Day. I’m quite pleased with myself!

Feelingmyage55 Wed 18-Dec-19 16:52:57

farmor15 lovely.
witzend a knitted advent calendar really grabs me. Where did you get the pattern?

Shizam Wed 18-Dec-19 17:29:13

I’m so impressed by all your creativity. Wish I was better at making things. Can’t even remember how to knit. ?

HillyN Wed 18-Dec-19 17:57:37

Not making anything this year but a few years ago I made matching toilet bags and makeup bags for my three close friends from my school days. We have a £1 spending limit on each gift and it can be challenging! I used leftover fabric, an old shower curtain for lining and only had to buy the zips.

nipsmum Wed 18-Dec-19 18:15:33

Your activity bib is great. I love the idea. I'm not very handy with sewing but I love knitting toys of all shapes and sizes. I first did a large Humpty Dumpty for my daughter who is now 53.