Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Want to take up embroidery/crochet again but who will want the results? Recommendations please

(81 Posts)
giulia Sun 12-Jan-20 12:24:40

Nobody of a younger generation wants pot plant mats of milk jug covers any more. Nor does anybody want embroidered hankies.

Can anyone think of anything small but useful I can make, using crochet or embroidery? So far, have thought of making pefume sachets for drawers and embroidering them with a small motif.

I so enjoy the manuality of these activities but want to make things that my nearest and dearest can enjoy and make use of.

dragonfly46 Sun 12-Jan-20 12:28:58

They are crying out for crocheted items for the animals in Australia affected by the fires.https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/help-australia-wildfire-animals-4781336

dragonfly46 Sun 12-Jan-20 12:29:51

Sorry the link didn't work. Try putting the address in Google.

Puddelchen Sun 12-Jan-20 12:45:08

I do cross stitch cards. I get the fun of making them and the recipient is usually pleased but isn’t under any obligation to keep long term.

Doodle Sun 12-Jan-20 12:47:12

I was going to say cards too Puddelchen. A good idea. Something personal that most people enjoy getting.

Doodledog Sun 12-Jan-20 12:49:23

Crochet toys (particularly amigurumi) are very popular with children and teens.

Crocheted baby blankets (and if you can be bothered, full size ones, too) are also in fashion - the ripple ones in particular.

Have a look on www.ravelry.com for inspiration - there are thousands of patterns on there smile.

HootyMcOwlface Sun 12-Jan-20 12:54:46

Tea is very popular, what about small tea cosies for those pots for one?

Small blankets for babies or for pet charities?

Grannyknot Sun 12-Jan-20 13:02:07

Crochet 'snoods' and simple fingerless gloves or handwarmers are very popular with younger members of my family. The trick is to use contemporary colours. My daughter crochets and Doodle is right, the amigurumi ones that she makes are hugely sought after by friends and family, also her other toy creations. They are cute! Look on Ravelry for patterns.

MiniMoon Sun 12-Jan-20 13:32:09

I've recently crocheted mobile phone cosies.
Christmas decorations too. I made little crochet Christmas trees, and Angels to hang from the tree. Last year I made my daughter 24 little Santa stockings as she wanted a different kind of Advent calendar. She strung them on tinsel this year and made them into a Garland.
Thesprucecrafts and moogly both have loads of patterns.

lavenderzen Sun 12-Jan-20 13:39:39

What about making embroidered sachets that contain lavender? You could sell them on ebay/etsy and see if you are successful. I buy lavender net sachets in bulk from an on line shop.

Crochet blankets for babies etc also sell well. I bought 2 crochet blankets last year from Etsy.

I used to knit baby jackets to sell on line, I can't do it now unfortunately.

Best of luck, I understand the need to keep busy.

Hithere Sun 12-Jan-20 13:42:28

Blankets for animal shelters.
Hats for chemo patients
Bobby knockers for breast cancer patients

So many possibilities

lavenderzen Sun 12-Jan-20 13:45:40

Sorry Giulia see you already put perfume sachets! See how quickly I forget what I have just read! (frightening smile )

Liz46 Sun 12-Jan-20 13:47:56

I belong to a knit and natter group and word has come from Australia that too many things have been sent and they don't want any more.

Dottynan Sun 12-Jan-20 13:50:07

Contact your local premature unit at the hospital. I know someone who is always making different things for the unit

Dottynan Sun 12-Jan-20 13:56:37

Or twiddle muffs for dementia patients

Grannyknot Sun 12-Jan-20 14:11:39

Here's dragonfly's link made 'live':

www.thesprucecrafts.com/help-australia-wildfire-animals-4781336

smile

TrendyNannie6 Sun 12-Jan-20 14:18:06

Mobile covers are lovely when crotchet as are children’s toys and blankets for animals babies too

Grannytomany Sun 12-Jan-20 14:23:59

I don’t want to dampen anyone’s enthusiasm but it can be very hard to find people who actually want the things you’ve so lovingly produced so it’s probably best to be prepared for that.

I like to crochet while I’m sitting at night and though I say it myself, make some lovely blankets of all kinds and sizes but finding a buyer or just someone who will use them isn’t easy. Unless of course you’re making a commission for someone.

None of our local baby units have accepted donations for a couple of years now as I understand there are some h&s issues and much of my stuff ends up being donated to the hospice shop. I have sold a few things on eBay but am lucky if I get the cost of the yarn back. Etsy was a complete failure for me.

But I’ll carry on crocheting as I enjoy it so much. As people have said, there are loads of free patterns out there.

Grannyknot Sun 12-Jan-20 14:24:31

That's a really nice site dragonfly thanks for posting! smile

I already have an 'Outlander' shoulder cape ... I get so many compliments on it, including from complete strangers on the train or bus.

ladymuck Sun 12-Jan-20 14:31:42

Grannytomany, I find that hard to understand. Animal shelters and Cats Protection are always asking for blankets for their animals. They are talking about donations, of course, they won't buy them from you.

timetogo2016 Sun 12-Jan-20 14:35:55

My mom used to knit for premature babies for the local hospital,i don`t know if they would take them now with the health and safety brigade apparent.
But there are the homeless to consider gloves/scarves etc.
And well done you Giulia.

trisher Sun 12-Jan-20 14:37:46

I've still got blankets my mum and my gran crocheted. Goodness knows what will happen to them after me! I did watch Kirstie doing Christmas and it stuck me that the designs my mum used for table mats, doilies etc would on a smaller scale make snowflakes for Christmas decorations. But it's very fine crocheting

M0nica Sun 12-Jan-20 15:12:17

The main thing is to use modern colours and designs. Babies, for example, rarely wear pretty pastel colours these days done in delicate lace patterns, but rather bright colours and heavier threads.

Often, what makes things unacceptable or under used is that the style and colour is wrong.

Nannarose Sun 12-Jan-20 15:40:15

Hello, I am a very keen crocheter (is that a word!?)

I belong to one of these groups:

www.lovinghands.org.uk/

Here is another cause:

www.sands.org.uk/get-involved/fundraising/fundraising-resources/crochet-pattern

If money is tight, it can be an issue. However, the groups get donated yarn, and I scour charity shops. My last SANDS blanket was made with yarn from a charity shop that I got for pence because it was tangled.

Grannytomany Sun 12-Jan-20 16:02:02

Monica, you wouldn’t be saying that I make awful things would you lol? It doesn’t seem to matter how trendy the shades, how gorgeous the yarn or how intricate/plain the designs, there’s still a limited market - and I’m including giving things away as well as trying to sell them. My main aim is to keep my fingers busy rather than make any money from my work. Fat chance anyway.

Perhaps I should post a few photos.

I was really just wanting to sound a note of caution because yarn can be quite expensive if you want something that’s not just bog standard.