Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

How old is your sewing machine?

(69 Posts)
Witzend Tue 25-Feb-20 10:14:09

Just worked out that I must have had mine for 40 odd years, since not long after we were married. It’s a little Elna, very neat, the sides fold up and cables etc. store inside, so it takes up very little space.

I didn’t use it at all for maybe 10 years, so when I finally got it out again to make curtains for a dd’s first house, I did wonder whether it’d still be working. Still don’t use it very often, but touch wood still fine.

I bet some GNers have S machines a lot older than mine!

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 25-Feb-20 10:19:11

Oldest I have is 47 years, very heavy but if DH lifts it into the sturdy table it’s great, newest are 10 years and 16 years and are used all of the time, one is embroidery only.

old hand machines are very old but I’ve only had them for 25 yrs or so, used rarely, but they are so pretty and have so many attachments, one day I’ll use some of them, I’ve always fancied something with ruffles on.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 25-Feb-20 10:19:59

That was tongue in cheek, I don’t do ruffles!

Farmor15 Tue 25-Feb-20 10:20:55

I got my Elna - bigger model - for 21st birthday. A part broke last year when I was 67, so it must have been 46 years old. I replaced it, as part was no longer available! I inherited an Elna Lotus - probably like yours, Witzend - from my mother. It's 40+ years old, but not working very well.

Some of the old-style Singer's go on for ever. My sister-in-law has one - adapted to electric with add-on motor. It could be at least 70 years old.

Farmor15 Tue 25-Feb-20 10:23:37

I have some attachments from my mother's old Singer, including ruffler. Just for interest, I tried it on new machine - Husquarna - and it workedsmile

henetha Tue 25-Feb-20 10:23:39

Mine was my grandmother's and I have clear memories of her using it. It has served me well for many years. I think it dates back to the early 20th century, about 1910/20.
It's a Singer.

tanith Tue 25-Feb-20 10:24:34

My electric machine is about 25 yrs old I don’t use it very often but it works fine. I also have an old Singer hand machine black with gold decoration it has a shuttle rather than a bobbin. It works, not really sure why I keep it and I can’t even remember where it came from to be honest I’m sure it’ll be chucked when I’m gone.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 25-Feb-20 10:26:02

farmor I never thought to try that !

I need to go down into the shed and fish the box of tools out and give it a go.

aggie Tue 25-Feb-20 10:26:19

I have my Grans Singer treadle , I don’t think it works now , but all the bits are there. It must be over 100 !
I use it as a side table with plants on

storynanny Tue 25-Feb-20 10:26:36

I had my first one for my 21 st as well, a lovely heavy duty Frister and Rossman. Wish I had kept it and had it renovated as the one I bought to replace it after nearly 40 years was useless! It was a lightweight singer. Bought myself a fancy computerised one for about £250 a few years ago and love it. As my mother used to say “ it will see me out”

Pantglas2 Tue 25-Feb-20 10:28:07

I now have an Aldi sewing machine which is 15 years old but my old Singer machine given to a friend is 40 years old and still going strong!

To top all that my dad is still using my maternal grandmother’s old manual Singer machine which must be 80 years old - it will be mine eventually but not sure my GD will be bothered which is a shame.

GrannyLaine Tue 25-Feb-20 10:36:43

I had a Frister+Rossman for my 19th or 20th birthday but we never really got on. Invested in a Bernina in 1985 and it was delivered when I was in the early weeks of my 5th pregnancy and feeling sick as a dog. I couldn't even look at it for a few weeks. It's still going strong, just beautifully made.
The machine I learned to sew with is my grandmother's Singer from I'd say the 1930s. My Mum inherited it and now I have it for its sheer beauty and craftsmanship.

Nannarose Tue 25-Feb-20 10:39:50

My latest, a Brother, is 15 years old. My own old machines have been part-exchanged.
However, I still have - and occasionally use for tent and heavy denim repairs - my mother's Singer bought in 1948.

MaizieD Tue 25-Feb-20 10:41:19

I have my mother's Singer treadle (in a beautiful case) that she bought in 1939. It does what I want it to do.

My sister, for a long time, used our Gran's hand cranked machine (with a long bobbin) which dated from about 1919. I bet it still works!

GagaJo Tue 25-Feb-20 10:43:48

26 years old. It's been serviced twice, once because the tension was out. In perfect working order.

NotSpaghetti Tue 25-Feb-20 10:49:34

I have my mother's old sewing machine - second hand in 1950.

I also have a "new" one which does stitches other than straight ones. That was given to me by a friend last year after her mother got rid of it and then my friend "upgraded". I think thus new one is about 25 years old.

Xander Tue 25-Feb-20 12:39:20

Bernina here. Also 21st birthday present. One of the best things I have ever been given. Made soooo many dresses in 70s and 80s I would never have been able to afford to buy them. Machine still going strong after 46 years, but not used very often anymore as no longer a fashionable shape for flowing cotton maxi/mini dresses!!!!!!.

whywhywhy Tue 25-Feb-20 12:55:59

I got my Newhome sewing machine 47 year’s ago when I was expecting my first child. It weighs a ton and after its last service, about 3 years ago it is as good as new. I’ve just made a table runner (quilted) with it.love it.

Chestnut Tue 25-Feb-20 12:57:47

Still using my grandmother's Singer sewing machine from 1891 although I don't do much sewing these days. It doesn't do anything fancy stitches, just a straight row of firm and steady stitches. It is a beautiful example of Victorian engineering!

Susie42 Tue 25-Feb-20 14:57:21

I have had my Bernina 630 for about 13 years and my overlocker and coverstitch for about 10 years. I don’t plan to upgrade any of them in the near future. I also have a couple of machines hiding in the loft, one of which is over 50 years old.

Allegretto Tue 25-Feb-20 15:26:19

My sewing machine is 2 hours old. I’ve just brought it home from the shop and as soon as I’ve finished this cup of coffee, it’s coming out of the box. I’m very excited!

storynanny Tue 25-Feb-20 15:36:06

Funny how quite a few of us had them for 21st presents! Bet that’s not first choice for anyone turning 21 these days!

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 25-Feb-20 15:39:24

* storynanny* I’ll bet it isn’t , I bought my sewing machine (DH has to carry it even then) then I went next door and got my ears pierced!

Happy days.....

storynanny Tue 25-Feb-20 15:42:22

My lovely dad came to the sewing shop in Derby and bought mine, 1977

grannysyb Tue 25-Feb-20 16:07:48

I bought a Pfaff 3.2 recently and sold my 16 year old Janome to a friend. Pfaff was secondhand but works beautifully.