Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Great British Sewing Bee!

(70 Posts)
H1954 Wed 22-Apr-20 16:23:14

Yay! Back on the TV tonight! 9pm on BBC 1!

shysal Wed 22-Apr-20 16:54:06

Hooray!

BlueBelle Wed 22-Apr-20 16:57:29

Oh thanks for heads up H1954 I m looking forward to this one starting

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 22-Apr-20 18:20:30

Brilliant programme smile

Urmstongran Wed 22-Apr-20 18:51:20

Oh thank you! I’d forgotten all about it.
In Spain so it’s 10pm on our tv.
I shall enjoy it. Himself will have to bear it....
?

ArtySue Wed 22-Apr-20 18:55:09

Oh thank you! I'd forgotten too! I love it!

Niobe Wed 22-Apr-20 19:05:22

Brilliant! It was probably filmed before CV19 and the lockdown but it would have been nice to see them make non surgical masks since we are all being advised that it might be a good thing to wear on when out and about.

Niobe Wed 22-Apr-20 19:06:19

‘One ‘ not ‘on’

J52 Wed 22-Apr-20 19:07:10

Can’t wait, but will, as it’s preceded by the Repair Shop. Another excellent programme.
I love it as my Grandfather was a cabinetmaker and often was asked to repair all sorts of other treasures as well.
Link to the sewing bee, he had a fantastic Electric Singer sewing machine and made my Aunts wedding dresses.

Pollygon Wed 22-Apr-20 22:19:11

Thoroughly enjoyed tonight's Sewing Bee. I am now an occasional sewer but doing lots more recently, raiding my sewing box and enjoying being creative and thrifty. Does anyone else remember 'turning collars', my daughters don't understand!

Purplepixie Wed 22-Apr-20 23:23:55

It was really great tonight! I think they are all brave as I just couldn’t stand the pressure. Fantastic and I am looking forward to watching the whole series.

BradfordLass73 Thu 23-Apr-20 01:14:25

Pollygon I certainly do, and cuffs and sheets 'ends to middle'.

In those days we couldn't afford to do anything else and the good quality of such things meant we tried hard to hold onto them.

When my Mum died in her mid-70's, I used the Irish Linen sheets she was given as a wedding present in the 40s.
They'd been turned but with those beautiful double seams which meant they were smooth.

Eloethan Thu 23-Apr-20 01:23:51

I don't know why I like it so much - it's really not the sort of thing I imagine myself being interested in - but I think it's great. (Not that I can sew anything - I even have trouble sewing buttons back on).

ninathenana Thu 23-Apr-20 06:14:57

I loved the winning yellow Tea dress

ninathenana Thu 23-Apr-20 06:15:59

Oooh blush sorry for the spoiler if you've not watched it yet.

BlueBelle Thu 23-Apr-20 07:12:12

We seem to have two threads I wonder if HQ could incorporate them

Kittye Thu 23-Apr-20 07:18:15

nina I’m going to watch recording this afternoon ?

Curlywhirly Thu 23-Apr-20 07:29:35

Yes, I really enjoyed it. I was a massively into sewing for many years, making all sorts of garments and soft furnishings, but haven't made anything for ages, just do the odd alteration. However, I have just got back into it as I and a friend are making hospital scrubs to help with the shortage; I had forgotten how much I enjoy it, and let's face it, I now have plenty of time on my hands! I too loved the winning tea dress, some of the materials they have in stock are gorgeous - I wonder where the programme makers get them? I haven't seen a dress material shop for years.

ninathenana Thu 23-Apr-20 07:33:50

Kittye apologies. ?

I think it was pretty obvious it would win.

Kittye Thu 23-Apr-20 09:16:42

nina I will have forgotten by this afternoon...memory like a sieve. ?

DanniRae Thu 23-Apr-20 09:48:16

Just watched it and I loved every minute of it!! smile

Chewbacca Thu 23-Apr-20 10:44:59

I can't sew for toffee but I love this programme. My favourite tea dress was Therese's soft floaty floral dress that came 2nd. And I was surprised that the Peter's 2 shirts redesign won; it looked a bit odd to me! Looking forward to the next episode.

henetha Thu 23-Apr-20 11:30:21

This programme is fascinating, I'm not sure why. I haven't done any dressmaking for about 40 years. I used to do loads, made all my own dresses when I was young.
I loved that wrap skirt and it looks easy to make. Shall I have a go? Without a pattern? I'm tempted.

grannypiper Thu 23-Apr-20 12:32:08

I forgot all about it but luckily i flicked through the channels and found it, only missed the first 3 minutes. Cant wait for the rest of the series

goldengirl Thu 23-Apr-20 12:36:40

Loved it and am looking forward to next week. I admit I didn't like the first 'shirt' garment at all. I thought it was a mess - just like I used to make and my teacher used to make me undo it. Just think! I could have been in fashion if I'd only stuck with it grin