Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Painting by numbers

(56 Posts)
Sunlover Fri 20-Apr-18 18:44:03

I loved painting by numbers as a child and recently discovered kits for adults. Bought one from Amazon. Pleased to find I still enjoy it! Hoping the finished painting will be good enough to put on the wall. Anyone else tried it.

Marydoll Fri 20-Apr-18 19:03:58

This brings back happy memories, Sunlover.
As a child I asked for a painting by numbers kit for Christmas. I received the most beautiful oil painting kit of a ballerina. I can still picture it clearly in my mind.
I would imagine it would be a very therapeutic hobby. If you decide to try it, please post a photo of the finished painting for us all to admire.

Greyduster Fri 20-Apr-18 20:12:22

I’ve never done painting by numbers, but years ago someone gave me, for my birthday, a painting kit that was just an outline sketch that you had to put paint on. They provided acrylic paints, but I used my own oils and the finished result was rather pleasing. It was a bowl of ox eye daisies and iris. I think they were a forerunner of what is now known as greyscale painting or painting without numbers and you can still buy the kits it seems. Anything that gets people picking up a paint brush has my seal of approval.

jusnoneed Fri 20-Apr-18 22:17:51

I haven't done any myself but an American friend has done some lovely ones, she does them as gifts too.

ninathenana Sat 21-Apr-18 08:11:42

DH has done several of these. He is not remotely arty but can produce a rather good picture this way. The finished results of the slight more expensive ones (£20ish rather than. £10) are much better, due to the finer detail. He does sometimes need the aid of the magnifying lamp though.
We buy them on line too.

shysal Sat 21-Apr-18 12:05:26

I had a free trial of a 'painting' by numbers app on my tablet, which I enjoyed. However I refuse to pay beyond the free trial! Sorry, I can't remember the name of it.

Toddleo Sun 12-Aug-18 13:27:49

Colorfy app is a good app for painting by numbers type activities - without the numbers. It's free

rebecca1989 Tue 31-Mar-20 05:46:37

I just did my first Paint By Numbers I bought of www.paintplot.com and it was so enjoyable, it took a while but I was patient and careful with the lines and it turned out amazing, I am so happy smile

almostelderly Tue 07-Apr-20 08:31:10

I am not painting by numbers but I am doing 'mindfulness' colouring. The word 'mindfulness' usually makes me cringe, but I find the colouring therapeutic and relaxing. There are some wonderful, unusual colouring books available from Waterstones. I heartily recommend the pastime.

GranOf4Monkeys Tue 09-Jun-20 09:33:42

I keep saying to myself that I want to take up painting by numbers again. My daughter has an app on her tablet but nothing as good as holding a paintbrush.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 01-Sep-20 11:24:27

Just sit in front of something simple like a flower in a vase. Look very closely and have a go at drawing.
It’s not about some special talent. It’s all about looking. If the result is far from what you want do not mind. The resulting painting may well turn out better than you think. Remember be bold so no tiny drawings. Large and bold. You will be surprised.

Happysexagenarian Mon 07-Sep-20 00:03:41

I have done a few over the years. They are now much more detailed with a wider range of colours to achieve better results. I like that many of them are on canvas now. My son gave me one for my birthday this year. I'll get around to it eventually, a bit inundated with Christmas projects at the moment.

SallyJackson1952 Mon 26-Jul-21 02:29:50

I just did my first paint by number in decades. It was a gift from my daughter, a custom one actually. I think it came from here paintablepictures.com/products/personalized-paint-by-numbers-custom-photo-upload

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 26-Jul-21 05:54:52

A friend who has just died did 2 of these during lockdown when she was shielding, one was of Poppies and were very good, she loved doing them, they have certainly come on from when I was a kid. They were kits from Amazon.

Whiff Mon 26-Jul-21 05:58:05

rebecca1989 your painting is beautiful. I am 63 so well remember having painting by numbers for presents. They where always oil paintings and smelt vile. The hair in the brushes always fell out. I was never very good and the pictures not very inspiring.

But your painting has so much detail and is so clever. You must have a lot of patience and must have taken days to complete. Thank you . It has given me an idea for a Christmas present for my crafty friend.

Infinity2 Mon 26-Jul-21 08:36:05

Anyone remember those old programmes on the telly, I think it was Painting with Nancy Kominski ?

noemiasmont Wed 18-Aug-21 00:39:25

Last week is was my sister`s birthday and I decided to buy her a painting by numbers, with our family, because she moved last year. I searched for a family photo and ordered a portrait, from this photo. The website I use every time is: paintingbynumbersshop.com, because they have the best quality and the best service from the country. After a few days, the painting was delivered and I gave it to my sister. She was very happy about the present and we decided to paint all together. The result was great. It seemed to be a great idea, especially that my sister loved it so much that she hanged it on the wall in her room.

Emily10001 Sat 11-Sep-21 04:14:28

I just finished my fourth Paint By Numbers that I bought on Paint By Numbers Paradise My daughter and I have discovered this great activity. It allows us to spend time together smile

Gabrielle56 Wed 15-Sep-21 16:32:29

I remember those and Bob Ross too ! Used to watch when DS was a baby.....during his naps! Loved them too. I now draw and paint all sorts of stuff, have done for years. When I returned my DS and partner at time bought me some art materials for birthday (50th) never looked back.reignited my love of art since a child. It only takes one event to set you on the road to hidden treasures ?

Gabrielle56 Wed 15-Sep-21 16:33:11

# retired!!!!

Sarnia Wed 15-Sep-21 16:56:45

I haven't myself but my youngest daughter (mid 30's) bought a kit and the finished article was amazing. She has framed this psychedelic giraffe (!) and hung it on a plain white wall on her landing. It looks great.

grannyrebel7 Wed 15-Sep-21 18:29:35

I bought a kit from Amazon during the first lockdown and when it arrived it was so small I couldn't see the numbers! I think it came from China, but it wasn't cheap. I haven't bothered since but will now look at some of the sites mentioned and get a good one. I think your wolf is beautiful Kate1989 btw.

emiltyhjk Thu 21-Jul-22 20:04:38

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

canvasbynumbers Tue 03-Jan-23 12:03:56

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

canvasbynumbers Tue 03-Jan-23 12:05:18

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.