Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Alan Dart Advent Calendar - has anyone made it?

(10 Posts)
Witzend Mon 12-Aug-19 10:22:09

Found the pattern while browsing and have ordered.
If anyone's made it, how did it go/turn out? Wondering whether the little inserts might be very fiddly - perhaps better to use e.g. small tree decorations - maybe chocolate ones since it'll be for gdcs.

What with another Nativity set too, I shall have to get cracking soon!

Gonegirl Mon 12-Aug-19 10:28:37

It's very sweet! Do you actually knit the numbers in? Respect!

It's lovely.

Gonegirl Mon 12-Aug-19 10:29:04

I think you should make all the little inserts. And pop a choccy in as well.

Witzend Mon 12-Aug-19 10:31:25

I don't know, Gonegirl - the pattern hasn't arrived yet!
I hope not, it'd probably be the sort of thing that has me going wrong and swearing a lot!
But we shall see....

Witzend Wed 14-Aug-19 12:09:19

Pattern arrived - doesn't look too fiddly but finished size is very big - 70 x 50cm! Just wondering where dd would put it, maybe on the back of a door.

Inserts are lovely though - I'm sure Gdcs would enjoy hanging one on the tree every day.

One bit I def. wouldn't knit is the green 'ribbon' - a few stitches and hundreds of rows! Would buy some green ribbon instead.

Witzend Wed 14-Aug-19 12:11:33

PS - numbers on pockets are knitted in, but charts are given. I would prob. lose track of those so would have to write down row by row. Just as well they're only little!

craftyone Wed 14-Aug-19 12:17:56

I love Alan Dart patterns, there are dedicated threads on AD in ravelry. I have dozens of old patterns, religiously cut out and filed. I made the nativity scene in the past, a sheep who is sitting with a weighted bottom and is knitting and more. I should think that the calendar is very do-able, certainly looks nice

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 13:08:28

I think it sounds so lovely Witzend. Back of the door would be great. One that gets closed a lot so it is seen. Good luck with it.

Witzend Fri 06-Sep-19 14:39:57

I should have started it in June! Except that I hadn't found the pattern then - it's an awful lot of work. Have done 2 of the 'pockets' and 3 inserts so far - Christmas pud, pear and sugar mouse - but no sewing up or stuffing. Luckily the backing pieces are knitted in chunky, on big fat needles.

I'm having to transfer the chart for the pocket numbers each time to paper, row by row, impossible to keep track otherwise.
Instructions are very clear, though.

Press on, halfway through pocket no. 3, just taking a break....
Sort of glad it's chilly and raining, so I don't feel I ought to be outside, doing something 'healthy' instead!

Luckygirl Fri 06-Sep-19 15:47:53

I have put numbers or letters onto knitting simply by embroidering them with wool over then top of the knitting, following the way the stitches lie - I actually did a whole little Mermaid sweater for my DD like that - she loved it!