Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Alan Dart Advent Calendar - has anyone made it?

(8 Posts)
Witzend Mon 12-Aug-19 10:22:09

Found the pattern while browsing and have ordered.
If anyone's made it, how did it go/turn out? Wondering whether the little inserts might be very fiddly - perhaps better to use e.g. small tree decorations - maybe chocolate ones since it'll be for gdcs.

What with another Nativity set too, I shall have to get cracking soon!

Gonegirl Mon 12-Aug-19 10:28:37

It's very sweet! Do you actually knit the numbers in? Respect!

It's lovely.

Gonegirl Mon 12-Aug-19 10:29:04

I think you should make all the little inserts. And pop a choccy in as well.

Witzend Mon 12-Aug-19 10:31:25

I don't know, Gonegirl - the pattern hasn't arrived yet!
I hope not, it'd probably be the sort of thing that has me going wrong and swearing a lot!
But we shall see....

Witzend Wed 14-Aug-19 12:09:19

Pattern arrived - doesn't look too fiddly but finished size is very big - 70 x 50cm! Just wondering where dd would put it, maybe on the back of a door.

Inserts are lovely though - I'm sure Gdcs would enjoy hanging one on the tree every day.

One bit I def. wouldn't knit is the green 'ribbon' - a few stitches and hundreds of rows! Would buy some green ribbon instead.

Witzend Wed 14-Aug-19 12:11:33

PS - numbers on pockets are knitted in, but charts are given. I would prob. lose track of those so would have to write down row by row. Just as well they're only little!

craftyone Wed 14-Aug-19 12:17:56

I love Alan Dart patterns, there are dedicated threads on AD in ravelry. I have dozens of old patterns, religiously cut out and filed. I made the nativity scene in the past, a sheep who is sitting with a weighted bottom and is knitting and more. I should think that the calendar is very do-able, certainly looks nice

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 13:08:28

I think it sounds so lovely Witzend. Back of the door would be great. One that gets closed a lot so it is seen. Good luck with it.