Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

chunky jacket or cardi for a baby

(10 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 20-Sep-19 13:05:48

Anyone found a nice pattern for the above. I want one for my great nephew who is now two months old and growing fast. Fancy doing a chunky one for the colder months for him, nothing too complicated though, i dont mind doing cable or moss stitch.

Hetty58 Fri 20-Sep-19 14:07:12

I like knitting with chunky wool but I don't think it's practical for babies. When would he actually wear it? It's too warm for at home or in the car and would have to be lined to wind proof it outdoors. Another problem is the safety aspect. They can easily get fingers and/or toes trapped in large knitted pieces.

Alygran Fri 20-Sep-19 14:20:54

I made this in the version with a collar. It was well received by DD1’s friend and worn a lot. It’s Aran so not quite chunky.

Farmor15 Fri 20-Sep-19 16:24:19

Something like this? Also hooded version.

Grannyknot Fri 20-Sep-19 17:01:32

Hi Travels there's a really nice, all in one shawl collar baby cardi on Ravelry, do a pattern search for Baby Sophisticate. The pattern is free. I knitted it in light grey for my grandson.

glammanana Fri 20-Sep-19 18:03:25

There are many patterns for matinee jackets on line you can do them as fancy or plain as you like,I do like the traditional ones the best they look so cute over daytime sleepsuits when babies are so tiny.

travelsafar Sat 21-Sep-19 07:56:02

Grannyknot thank you.

Witzend Sat 21-Sep-19 14:43:41

This might be nice when he's a bit bigger. It's Erika Knight for John Lewis, which is where I found it.
Sizes age 1 - 4, in chunky.
I never did get round to it, partly because the recommended pure wool needs careful washing - which my dd just doesn't do! - and I didn't get around to finding an easier-wash substitute.

I did like the pattern, though - the absence of fussiness! Plus I can't cope with anything complicated.

GagaJo Sat 21-Sep-19 15:02:24

Wish I could knit! I'd love my grandson to have home made, hipster knits!

I can sew, but can't follow a knitting pattern to save my life.

GrannyMosh Sun 20-Oct-19 15:02:58

I have a pattern for a hooded jacket which has served me well for 36 years. Today is my son's 37th birthday, and I made it for him when he was a toddler. Now I make it for his two little girls, and they both love it. It's in DK, but a textured pattern, so extra-cuddly, and very easy. I don't 'do' difficult! Makes up well in acrylic, washes and wears beautifully. Only comes in sizes 20" and 22", unless you are clever enough to scale it up or down. Sorry, I'm not! Message me if you would like a photo.