Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Very simple stash-buster blanket.

(38 Posts)
Witzend Wed 30-Sep-20 09:30:26

I saw the idea on another forum and was wondering whether anyone else had made one. If so, how did it turn out, and any tips? Just 2 row stripes in garter stitch - seemed ideal for my vast stash of a mass of different colours.
As the person put it, mindless knitting while watching TV!

I’ve got 100 stitches of DK on 4mm needles - it’ll come out at about 55 cm wide so I’ll make the length similar, will need another 3 pieces similar or maybe more - will have to see - for Gdcs.

I’m not going to sew in all those ends! Will just knot to make a fringe. Will probably join the pieces visibly with a colourful chunky yarn, not sure what stitch, so any suggestions welcome.
This is it so far - given the sort of things I’ve been making, there aren’t many tasteful colours in my stash!

Illte Wed 30-Sep-20 09:35:44

I like it!

So will it be four big squares when it's finished?

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Sep-20 09:37:04

That looks lovely (although I've no idea what a buster blanket is).
It would make a fabulous scarf.

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Sep-20 09:39:11

Ah! Read your title properly! Sorry.
Still fancy it as a scarf.

Witzend Wed 30-Sep-20 09:47:54

Or 4 rectangles, Illte - not sure yet.

DanniRae Wed 30-Sep-20 09:48:21

If you look on Youtube there is an amazing was of joining two balls of wool that leaves no loose ends. It would be perfect for your blanket.
I can not describe it - you need to see it demonstrated but I never do it any other way now!
I hope this is helpful? smile

Kalu Wed 30-Sep-20 10:01:02

I like that and the idea to use up spare wool is always welcome.
I’m sure your GCs will be delighted with their blanket.

I have been using up my spare stash knitting triangular shawls.
Start with 4 sts. and increase either end and centre until desired size. Mindless knitting whilst watching TV for me too. ?.

I have changed over to circular needles recently Witzend. They make knitting wider projects much easier, no bunching up of stitches on a straight needle.

CraftyGranny Wed 30-Sep-20 10:09:57

What a good idea Witzend, it is looking good.
I too have an enormous stash of wools that is taking up too much space. .
It is mainly DK, so I may dust off the knitting machine and give it a whirl. Normally I make toys and dolls clothes, because they are quick, but the thought of all those stitches on a needle for a blanket is overwhelming!
I hope the machine still works, it's been ages since it was last used!

Callistemon Wed 30-Sep-20 11:01:20

I downloaded a week by week crochet pattern for a blanket which looks like a stash-buster but it all seems like Double Dutch to me.
I may have to stick with granny blankets or plain knitting.

Callistemon Wed 30-Sep-20 11:03:10

This is it so far - given the sort of things I’ve been making, there aren’t many tasteful colours in my stash!

The in thing, Witzend. Rainbow colours are in fashion just now!
In fact I just ordered more blush

Hetty58 Wed 30-Sep-20 11:09:54

Witzend, that looks nice and cosy. It's so relaxing and therapeutic to do some simple, mindless knitting - especially as the days are getting chilly and evenings longer. I love doing little squares to sew together.

mary51 Wed 30-Sep-20 11:10:28

Good idea about knotting ends instead of sewing them in.

MiniMoon Wed 30-Sep-20 11:10:34

I'm doing a stash buster blanket, but doing treble crochet. When joining new yarn, I'm just knotting the two colours together, and leaving the ends. I'm quite happy with the result so far. It is not very long yet, but its the desired width.

Greta Wed 30-Sep-20 11:16:11

I had a bag full of cotton yarn in lovely primary colours. I haven't got the patience for big projects these days so I knitted some stripey wash mittens for my young grandchildren. Very quick and easy. They loved them and I'm now knitting some more!

Witzend Wed 30-Sep-20 11:49:12

Thanks for the yarn-joining tip, DannieRae. A bit late for this one but I’ll look up for next time!

I like the idea of wash mittens, Greta - might even buy some cotton for the purpose!

Best thing about this blanket, it uses up those tiddly little oddments that aren’t much use for anything else. Not that I’ve got many of those - mostly whopping great balls of cheap and cheerful - I could probably knit a dozen blankets with this lot! And why so many different greens/golds/yellows? confused

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 30-Sep-20 11:55:33

It's fabulous Witzend so colourful and looks so neat.

queengran Wed 30-Sep-20 13:01:49

Very beautiful Witzend (and minimoon too).
Witzend, weren't you the one who was making those lovely Santas for the school fair? Hope I've remembered that correctly!

Kalu Wed 30-Sep-20 13:11:04

What a good idea for using up cotton Greta I will now use my stash of cotton to do wash mitts for GDs. ?

NfkDumpling Wed 30-Sep-20 13:18:29

No left over wool here either as I used up all mine last winter knitting DGD a sloppy, weirdly stripped jumper. She loves it, especially the sparkly stripes!

travelsafar Thu 08-Oct-20 11:48:22

MiniMoon only yesterday i was watching a utube about crocheting and the American lady showed how to weave loose ends in so they dont show and she was also using a special fabric glue to stick the ends down once you had weaved them. The glue is flexible and can be washed. Sorry i didnt catch the name of it but i am sure if you searched it would be easy to find. smile

rosecarmel Thu 08-Oct-20 13:07:15

I think they're gorgeous- I've picked up 2 like new stash busters at charity shops that are well thought out and beautiful- One is several shades of off white and the other reminiscent of the traditional Pendleton wool blanket called Glacier National Park-

flopen Sun 11-Oct-20 18:51:26

Beautiful.
I'd also recommend the ripple crochet blanket from the Attic24 site. Repetitive but not boring.

fevertree Sun 11-Oct-20 21:44:08

Kalu I like knitting triangular shawls or scarves but I don't understand your suggestion of increasing in the centre, surely for a triangle the increases are at each end of the row only?

Witzend Mon 12-Oct-20 08:25:11

From experience of knitting much smaller things, e.g. the triangular head ‘cloths’ of my Nativity shepherds! - the central increase makes a slightly curved item - if that’s what is wanted.

I’ve finished the first 2 pieces (of 4) of my blanket, each 20 inches square. (My cloth tape measure is ancient and doesn’t do cms.).
Only problem now, is how to join the non-fringe edges. I’ve found an ‘edge to edge’ stitch, but a trial run in red isn’t the neatest in the world. Not that I expect Gdcs will be looking too closely and tut-tutting, but a more perfect finish would be satisfying.

fevertree Mon 12-Oct-20 08:59:14

Thank you Witzend so one would increase by Kf&b on the centre stitch of each row? I might start it now, 6 rows in ...