Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What do you do with all the lovely things that you make?

(123 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sun 15-Nov-20 15:16:47

Well I am presuming they are lovely!
The time spent making them can’t equate to the price that they could be sold for and not all of you want to have a stall at a craft fair. There must be a limit to how many cushions, tapestries ect. that you and your families want.
I’m asking as I’m expecting another * from my sister for Christmas. I want to shout “it’s just fabulous but I don’t want another one”!
The things she makes are really lovely, thank goodness, and I feel very ungrateful but I can’t help it.

fevertree Sun 15-Nov-20 15:25:15

I make lots of stuff and give it to friends and family.

My family just tell me "It's lovely, but no thanks" grin if they don't want something. Mostly I like to think people appreciate the home made gifts.

I have donated some items to various local raffles.

Sometimes I make something and like it so much that I keep it for myself!

PamelaJ1 Sun 15-Nov-20 15:30:06

You must have a big house or make small things.

Witzend Sun 15-Nov-20 15:32:52

I’ve done a load of knitting since the beginning of lockdown no. 1, virtually all Christmassy things, some of which (Nativity set, Jolly Snowman wreath, big fat Father Christmas) have gone to little Gdcs’ school for their Christmas raffle - online this year.

Duplicates of those have gone, or will go, to Gdcs soon. Some to other small relatives too.

3 Santa hats for Gdcs ditto, and I’m now knitting them Christmas stockings, after a request from dd.

Plus a rainbow blanket for Gdcs, to use up some of my vast stash.

The other granny knits them lovely jumpers, so I don’t try to compete there.
As for cushions, etc., I wouldn’t make any such thing as a gift for adults, since just about everyone I know really doesn’t want any more Stuff!
I’ve never made anything to sell, at least not for myself, but have previously made things to donate to a school fair.

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 15:36:38

Plus a rainbow blanket
I've just started one but, of course, dudnt have any green so had to send for some.
I hope someone in the family will want it otherwise it will go to a charity for Syrian refugees.

Don't mention the NS

Blossoming Sun 15-Nov-20 16:31:29

I make jewellery. Sometimes it’s made with a recipient in mind, such as this little necklace as a Christening present for a great niece. Sometimes I donate it to a local charity for tombola or raffle prizes. Sometimes I wear it.

fevertree Sun 15-Nov-20 17:47:44

@pamela, I do make small things. During lockdown I have made:

Knitted scarves (and my scarves are very trendy and are welcomed as gifts) ?
A doorstop with a drawstring inner bag for the weighted bit (a bag of rice).
Many reusable, fabric, fully lined, gift bags.
Fabric trays.
Wardrobe tidy with zip pockets (kept one, made a second one on request from my son).
Kindle bean bags.
A waterproof lined car bin with straps that hangs from the front seat headrest for my grandson to use.
Cushion covers.

I'm busy now making a Christmas wreath.

NotSpaghetti Sun 15-Nov-20 18:21:31

Are you a silversmith Blosdoming?

NotSpaghetti Sun 15-Nov-20 18:22:06

Oops! Blossoming

CraftyGranny Sun 15-Nov-20 18:23:59

During lockdown I have been making toys, and still have a teddy bear, Bagpuss (remember him) and an Hippo dressed in a ballerina outfit (from the Knitables patterns)! Scarves. I don't know who to give them to.
Lots of dolls clothes, for my Great Grandaughter's babies.
Ooo, and a cable throw, and cardigan
I just have to keep my fingers moving.

Do you think knitting etc are dying arts ?

PollyDolly Sun 15-Nov-20 18:27:26

Although I sew for pleasure I mainly make items to order; so I tend not to get an abundance of stuff at home. If I'm working on a new "line" I either make it for myself or gift it, that way I can test the waters to see if it is worth repeating.

At the moment I'm making items for a Christmas charity craft sale in mid - December.

vegansrock Sun 15-Nov-20 18:34:43

I have made numerous face masks for charity and am now making lap quilts for the animal rescue centre using up OHs old shirts, sheets and scraps.

Pantglas2 Sun 15-Nov-20 18:36:34

My DH goes mad about the amount of jams, preserves etc that I give away - he reckons that he ends up with ‘shop bought rubbish’ because the stores are depleted by my donations!

My family and friends queue up for refills and it would be a full time job keeping them all supplied if I’d a mind to do so. I keep things manageable by giving only at Christmas, birthdays, visits, special occasions.....oh dear, that’s where they go...!

Blossoming Sun 15-Nov-20 18:41:30

Strictly amateur NotSpaghetti. My impairments mean it takes me ages to finish anything but it gives me a lot of satisfaction.

fevertree Sun 15-Nov-20 20:01:20

vegansrock that's beautiful.

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 20:05:12

Lovely vegansrock

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 20:05:32

Sorry!
vegansrock

Chardy Sun 15-Nov-20 21:38:08

NotSpaghetti if you're interested in making silver jewellery, Google Emma Mitchell or look for her on Twitter. Her nature jewellery using silver clay is gorgeous and easy

Witzend Mon 16-Nov-20 08:47:56

Beautiful patchwork, @vegansrock!

Humbertbear Mon 16-Nov-20 08:51:34

I paint and if someone expresses a real liking for a painting I give it to them. I have sold a few but I am happy to give them away if people are going to put them on their wall.

Gingster Mon 16-Nov-20 08:51:52

Little Gd and I collected pine cones and now don’t know what to do with them. Any ideas for Xmas decs?

Grannynannywanny Mon 16-Nov-20 09:00:43

As someone who is ham fisted just sewing on a button and whose art skills didn’t advance beyond painting by numbers I am in awe reading this thread.

fevertree Mon 16-Nov-20 09:01:01

Gingster I found lots of ideas on Pinterest:

pin.it/1fpagJF

PamelaJ1 Mon 16-Nov-20 09:06:24

Gingster, we did the same.
I decided to update the Christmas decks but as they all seem to be made in China we are doing our own. Well I’ll be doing it on my own. I won’t see him again for a while.
I’ll look on Pinterest.

Witzend Mon 16-Nov-20 09:09:39

I do need to feel that there’s a definite potential home for whatever I’m making. So a year or so ago it was twiddle muffs for patients with dementia at the local hospital. I was then asked whether I could please make some knitted breasts (!) for breast feeding advisors to use during demonstrations!

They did say any colours would do but I happened to have these that needed using up.