Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What are you interested in right now?

(99 Posts)
JennyNotFromTheBlock Thu 14-Jan-21 06:43:29

May I ask you what your hobby is? I find myself being interested in different things, but I lose interest after several months of being into something, so I go through hobbies rather quickly. Right now I'm interested in photo montage learning and also got a book on coding (the one for beginners, of course, it just seems interesting to me to try). What are your current hobby or are you more stable and been doing something for a long time already?

Kim19 Thu 14-Jan-21 07:05:58

Current 'hobby' is turning my hand to any DIY that presents itself. I would normally employ a handyman but, under current climate, have a go myself. Wouldn't say I enjoy any of it but I do get a huge kick when I reap success. Some of my contraptions have been a bit Heath Robinsonbut have done the job which makes me very happy. Current challenge, on a different level, is trying to master/understand
how to work a new iPad and 'smart' - much smarter than me - TV. When my projects are going badly I simply walk away and return when I'm in a better frame of mind. Find perseverance sheer folly in my case. No staying power!!

KerryS Thu 14-Jan-21 07:29:34

I enjoy lots of different crafts, and like you, JennyNotFromTheBlock , like to try different things. I am cross stitching at the moment, but zentangling is a restful hobby which costs nothing and can be picked up and put down easily, and you can do as big or as little design as you like, you just need paper and a very fine black pen. In lockdown, I've discovered adult colouring - a complete waste of time really, I suppose, but it's relaxing, and I like playing around with colours. Otherwise, I have loads of other hobbies on the go - journalling, scrapbooking, photography, card making, decoupage, paper-cutting, pyrography, upcycling, DIY, Postcrossing, penpalling, gardening (though not at the moment - I'm a fair-weather gardener!), family history researching, sketching........ I never have time to get bored!! So I'm lucky that lockdown isn't as bad for me as it is for many. (Miss eating out and going for coffee with friends though!)

PollyDolly Thu 14-Jan-21 07:42:51

Machine sewing in the form of dressmaking, quilting, doll making, bag making, repurposing garments to list a few. Knitting and crochet but not so much. Early last year, at the start of the pandemic I made some birthday cards as our favourite shop for greeting cards was closed. Gardening in the better weather.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Jan-21 07:47:27

I’m knitting a Scandinavian patchwork blanket. I intend to knit two for an advent gift for both my children. I make something for them every year. Tend to just keep the cold months for that as in the garden the rest of the time.

Billybob4491 Thu 14-Jan-21 07:59:08

Currently knitting miniature baskets for Easter, when completed I shall fill with tiny chocolate eggs. Kim 19 I havnt heard the expression "Heath Robinson" for many years, it brought a smile to my face.

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 14-Jan-21 08:14:37

I've been a keen knitter and card maker for years. I knitted a lot of projects for gifts last year. My most recent hobby is diamond/crystal art. It is without doubt the most soothing and relaxing hobby I have ever taken up.
I have had a very pretty fleeting kit for about a year that I must try. When I have seen people do it they make it look so easy, I have visions of producing an unrecognizable blob. I would love to hear how others totally new to felting got on.

Viridian Thu 14-Jan-21 08:23:26

I'm currently knitting creatures and food. My grandchildren have a basket full of knitted sandwiches, pizza slices, burgers and cakes which they love. The slice of cheese for the burger is only a yellow square but the little ones think it's wonderful!! I've finished a pheasant, a fruit bat and a snail and am thinking about knitting a box of frogs, which would sum up how crazy this time is!

Whitewavemark, do you have a picture of the pattern you use? I'd love to have a go at a Scandinavian blanket.

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 14-Jan-21 08:28:50

That should read felting ?

ImStillGood Thu 14-Jan-21 08:34:50

Mine is knitting at the moment and I'm also became keen on drawing by numbers, it relaxes greatly.

ImStillGood Thu 14-Jan-21 08:35:44

JennyNotFromTheBlock

May I ask you what your hobby is? I find myself being interested in different things, but I lose interest after several months of being into something, so I go through hobbies rather quickly. Right now I'm interested in photo montage learning and also got a book on coding (the one for beginners, of course, it just seems interesting to me to try). What are your current hobby or are you more stable and been doing something for a long time already?

JNFTB may I ask you how learning photo montage is going? Is it complicated?

Esspee Thu 14-Jan-21 08:43:14

For years I said that when I retired I was going to try working out my family history. This is my first winter since then and with lockdown looming I registered for a free extramural class on genealogy and got started.
I have managed to trace every family line back to the early 1800s and am now trying to amass more information about their lives.
I have made online friends with two people whose ancestry overlaps mine. It is completely absorbing and I will be able to pass all the information on for further generations.

Liz46 Thu 14-Jan-21 08:45:47

I knit cannula sleeves for dementia patients. People with dementia tend to pull their cannula out which is distressing for staff and patients and expensive to the NHS. The sleeves have safe twiddles to keep fingers busy.

I also knit worry monsters for therapists to use with children. The children can write their problems on a piece of paper and 'post' it into the pocket behind the monster's mouth.

Witzend Thu 14-Jan-21 08:52:14

From the beginning of 1st lockdown to shortly before Christmas it was knitting, but nearly all Christmassy things for Gdcs and their school fairs. School fairs didn’t happen but they did online raffles instead.

Masses of yarn left but nothing I particularly feel like making at the moment. Plus left thumb joint playing up a bit.
I’ve set myself to master a piano piece I’ve tried before, but not good at practising often enough/ long enough. Easily discouraged when progress is so slow.
Lacking in self discipline! (Nothing new there...)

Plus I’ve dug out an ancient (over 45 years old!) Teach Yourself Modern Greek which I first had before going to live in Cyprus aeons ago. I have the basics and can read it, but never got beyond the ‘getting by’ stage so would like to put some work into that before the next holiday in Greece?? if and when we can.

PippaZ Thu 14-Jan-21 09:11:34

Rather like Polly Dolly my main occupation is machine sewing, dressmaking, soft toy making and have started on simple bag making. I don't make full sized quilts after making one but I have learned a lot of techniques from quilting and use them in making smaller items. I also have an embroidery machine and am building up my knowledge with that, particularly "in the hoop" construction and one of my Christmas presents was a "get to know your over locker", which I haven't had time to start yet so the over locker stands shrouded in its cover but I know it's glaring at me every time I go in my sewing room!.

I have been through the hopping from hobby to hobby stage but found you either have to limit what you do or it costs a fortune so, before I recently moved, I sold off a lot of what I had collected with the rest going to groups or the local charity shop. I realise there is still some to go but it will have to wait until "the current situation" is over.

The OP asks about "right now". I am stunned to find that I am back making masks. One adult GC has been told by her employer that they need enough masks for frequent change so, while wishing she could stay at home, I am back to sewing these.

JennyNotFromTheBlock Thu 14-Jan-21 09:44:33

ImStillGood

JennyNotFromTheBlock

JNFTB may I ask you how learning photo montage is going? Is it complicated?

Not really. I started with simplest editors like Photo Instrument and Photodiva and then watched Youtube tutorials for more sophisticated programs and read some guides to get the theory (highly recommend this channel if you are going to use Photoshop and step-by-step tutorials on how to do a photo montage like this one if you are interested). I thought it would be much more difficult than it actually turned out to be, but Photoshop may seem complicated at first, so here is also a list of good pc photo editors if you don't want to mess with it at all- photography.tutsplus.com/articles/best-photo-editing-software-pc-free-paid--cms-36447.
But in general no, it's not that bad and coding is more difficult either way grin

JennyNotFromTheBlock Thu 14-Jan-21 09:50:12

PippaZ

Rather like Polly Dolly my main occupation is machine sewing, dressmaking, soft toy making and have started on simple bag making. I don't make full sized quilts after making one but I have learned a lot of techniques from quilting and use them in making smaller items. I also have an embroidery machine and am building up my knowledge with that, particularly "in the hoop" construction and one of my Christmas presents was a "get to know your over locker", which I haven't had time to start yet so the over locker stands shrouded in its cover but I know it's glaring at me every time I go in my sewing room!.

I have been through the hopping from hobby to hobby stage but found you either have to limit what you do or it costs a fortune so, before I recently moved, I sold off a lot of what I had collected with the rest going to groups or the local charity shop. I realise there is still some to go but it will have to wait until "the current situation" is over.

The OP asks about "right now". I am stunned to find that I am back making masks. One adult GC has been told by her employer that they need enough masks for frequent change so, while wishing she could stay at home, I am back to sewing these.

Agree about the cost! I'd love to do some things longer but it's either too expensive or current restrictions just wouldn't let me.

Peasblossom Thu 14-Jan-21 09:58:18

When we woke up this morning OH started telling me about some interesting new discoveries in the field of Quantum Leap. The connection with Schrodingers Cat ? and somebody’s Dog. Einstein maybe. I drifted off a bit there.

As I had no idea what he was talking about I thought maybe today I would explore, with the help of Google, the theory of Quantum Leap.

How’s that? ?

Witzend Thu 14-Jan-21 11:01:39

@Liz46, I like the idea of worry monsters. Who do you pass them to? And can you recommend a pattern?

I’ve knitted twiddle muffs for dementia patients in the past and given them to the local hospital, but had it in my head that they wouldn’t want donations ATM because of Covid. Must check, though, since I have so much yarn that would be ideal.

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 14-Jan-21 11:27:36

Liz46 and Witzend I love the idea of the canula covers and worry monsters to. I used to make twiddle mitts. It's a great way of using up documents of wool.
I imagine with covid restrictions they would be ok of isolated for a while.

ginny Thu 14-Jan-21 11:45:38

Like others I dabble in lots of different crafts depending on my mood.
The last few weeks have been mainly knitting baby jackets and now crocheting a rainbow baby blanket. I have also made a felt flower wreath.

ginny Thu 14-Jan-21 11:46:27

Can we see some photos of your work please.

PippaZ Thu 14-Jan-21 11:53:43

Witzend

*@Liz46*, I like the idea of worry monsters. Who do you pass them to? And can you recommend a pattern?

I’ve knitted twiddle muffs for dementia patients in the past and given them to the local hospital, but had it in my head that they wouldn’t want donations ATM because of Covid. Must check, though, since I have so much yarn that would be ideal.

One of my friends makes twiddle muffs and has found they didn't want them at the moment. It may differ from home to home though.

PippaZ Thu 14-Jan-21 11:54:57

ginny

Like others I dabble in lots of different crafts depending on my mood.
The last few weeks have been mainly knitting baby jackets and now crocheting a rainbow baby blanket. I have also made a felt flower wreath.

Lovely ginny.

Witzend Thu 14-Jan-21 11:58:10

Here’s one of my twiddle muffs. In case anyone wants to know, I found the pattern by googling Oxford University Hospitals Twiddle Muffs - IIRC as advised by someone here.