Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Very easy stashbuster scarf

(32 Posts)
Witzend Tue 02-Feb-21 18:12:23

Found this on the Knit for Peace website.

280 sts on a 4 mm circular needle (because of the number of sts, but not knitted in the round), every row garter stitch, different colour each row. Knit for about 7 inches, cast off. No sewing in of ends, just knot them into tassels and trim to about 4 inches.
The website is asking for warm donations such as this at the moment.
As someone on another forum put it, re a blanket knitted on similar lines, ‘easy mindless knitting in front of the telly!’

chelseababy Tue 02-Feb-21 18:17:38

Might try that once I finish the hat I'm knitting, thanks Witzend

chelseababy Tue 02-Feb-21 18:18:44

Is it double knit do you know?

Gwyneth Tue 02-Feb-21 18:19:57

Me too thank you Witzend

Hejira Tue 02-Feb-21 18:33:10

Witzend. Hope you don't mind me tagging on to your post.

Here's a link for what Knit for Peace would like at the moment:

knitforpeace.org.uk/knit-for-good/donate-goods/

One of my favourite blankets to make is Stephen West's Garter Squish which can be adapted to all sizes and even be used to make a very warm and squishy scarf. I make these using two strands of DK in different colours to give a marled effect - inexpensive Stylecraft Special DK is perfect. A good cold weather project too which keeps me warm as I knit!

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/garter-squish

Witzend Tue 02-Feb-21 18:49:36

Sorry, yes, any DK.

I made a blanket for Gdcs on similar lines before Christmas, except 2 rows each colour because I did it in 4 squares so only wanted ends on one side.
I used sundry different brands of DK, some probably a mite thicker than others, but it didn’t seem to matter.

J52 Tue 02-Feb-21 19:35:19

Thanks for posting this, will also pass it on to friends.

Witzend Sun 07-Feb-21 09:15:35

Started one of these the other day, using an ancient circular needle inherited from my mother (I’ve never used a circular needle before.).
Very soon found that the ‘needle bits’ were somewhat rough, but it wasn’t until I’d cast on 280 sets and done half of the first row, that I realised that getting the stitches over the join between hard and bendy bits was impossible - unless you lifted each stitch over one by one.

Obviously out of the Q. So I binned the whole thing ? and ordered a new needle, next day delivery, £2 extra.
Relative bliss to work with - so smooth! ?

Hejira Sun 07-Feb-21 19:25:53

Yes, Witzend. I came by a bag of old circular needles in a charity shop, mostly Aero brand. The transition from needle to cord was very sticky. I find Addi small gauge needles the best for lightweight yarns and KnitPro Nova Metal, either fixed or interchangeable, best for heavier weights.

Nannina Tue 09-Feb-21 12:54:19

I belong to an online forum, Loving Hands, who list a number of charities, including Knit for Peace, requesting donations of knitted, crochet and sewn items. LH will also collate mixed donations and can usually find a home for any make

Grany Sun 21-Feb-21 16:41:40

Thanks for scarf pattern easy to do used about 9 colours repeatedly The scarf is a good length knitted on longish needles

chelseababy Sun 21-Feb-21 18:14:47

Grany would you mind measuring the length of your needles? I have some quite long ones and if they are long enough, would save me buying circular ones. Thanks

Gwyneth Sun 21-Feb-21 18:20:44

That’s really lovely grany great colours. As chelseababy asked and without sounding impertinent ? but how long were your needles?

Witzend Mon 22-Feb-21 08:36:38

That’s lovely @Grany. I’m about halfway through my 2nd, just 4 colours but I have a lot of 100g balls to use up.
Must say I’m impressed with how something so easy can turn out.

nanna8 Mon 22-Feb-21 08:43:26

That looks lovely granny, you have good taste !

nanna8 Mon 22-Feb-21 08:44:06

Sorry Grany wretched spell check

Witzend Mon 22-Feb-21 09:45:38

I bought a KnitPro circular needle 60 cms IIRC - from Wool Warehouse. It was considerably cheaper than the first that came up on that website but I find it super-smooth and so easy to work with. I would have bought an 80cm but it was out of stock.
The scarf is somewhat bunched up while in progress but it’s fine.

Grany Mon 22-Feb-21 11:15:12

Thank you.

Hi my needles are 13and half inch or 34 centimetres So found I could knit it good on those size needles

Witzend Tue 23-Feb-21 09:55:14

This was my first, along with twin teds made from the very quick and easy pattern on the K for P website.
Dh really liked it - if he hadn’t already had plenty of scarves I think he might have appropriated it!

MagicWand Tue 23-Feb-21 14:20:29

I'm doing a 'climate scarf' which I started on 1st Jan, having got the idea from the Lovecrafts website. I've allocated a different colour wool from my stash to each 2 degrees of temperature in the usual range we get here. I'm noting the temperature at 2pm each day and that dictates the colour I use. I decided on 60 stitches wide, 1 row of garter stitch per day which should mean I end up with a nice sized neck warmer type scarf at the end of it. Tails of wool knotted into a fringe as I go, to stop it getting into a tangle.

Glad to report that having used quite a chunk of silver grey and ice blue recently (my coldest colours), I'm now using aqua and even green on occasion so warming up nicely, a very positive visual way of seeing spring approaching.

Witzend Wed 24-Feb-21 20:26:20

That sounds brilliant, @MagicWand - do post a pic when it’s finished!

Witzend Sat 27-Feb-21 09:53:56

Finished scarf number 2. I must have had some of that yarn for over 10 years!
Amazing how the absolute simplest possible knitting can turn out relatively nicely.

CraftyGranny Sat 27-Feb-21 10:07:54

That is really lovely Witzend.
Do you think the method of 1 row for each colour would work when crocheted?

CraftyGranny Sat 27-Feb-21 10:12:22

Grany, I love your scarf too. Especially the different colour on the cast-on and cast-off edges.

Nana3 Sat 27-Feb-21 11:08:54

CraftyGranny

That is really lovely Witzend.
Do you think the method of 1 row for each colour would work when crocheted?

I think that would work well with double crochet Craftygranny, I'm going to give it a go.