Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

I made this from scraps...

(49 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Thu 04-Mar-21 10:56:58

I made this on Tuesday as a distraction while fasting (5:2). Keeping busy is a great way to ignore hunger pangs! ? It's my first go at patchwork and quilting and I'm immensely proud of it! ??? I watched several YouTube tutorials on how to bind it. I have no idea how I'll use it and my dog might well have designs on it. He suffers from pica, a propensity to consume things that have no food value! He prefers underwear and teatowels but anything will do, at a pinch. He also likes to eat paper and cardboard, especially important letters. My next fasting day is tomorrow, so watch this space!

moggie57 Thu 04-Mar-21 11:00:40

well maybe you should get some bones/pigs ears for your dog to chew and eat ,and put the towels in a locked cupboard or up high..nice patchwork

lizzypopbottle Thu 04-Mar-21 11:03:35

I do try to keep on top of it moggie57, but he's sneaky...
Thanks for the 'nice patchwork' comment. ?

Callistemon Thu 04-Mar-21 11:06:26

Lovely! That is amazing for a first attempt lizzypopbottle.

How big is it? Could you back it and turn it into a cushion?

Warning:
Don't give your dog pigs' ears, ours was very sick after consuming one and had to be taken to the vet. They may be contaminated with salmonella, apparently.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 04-Mar-21 11:06:37

That is far too nice for the dog to chew lizzypopbottle. unless you find a purpose for it, you should raffle it for your favourite charity?

FannyCornforth Thu 04-Mar-21 11:09:25

Beautiful Lizzie, well done you.
I can't sew at all (I give up far too easily) so I really do admire your patience.
Re it's use - what size is it?
(And I'm sure that you know how to take care of Ddog, but it must be a worry for you!)

Whiff Thu 04-Mar-21 11:11:07

lizzypopbottle that's beautiful . Love the colours and mix of shapes. I cross stitch but do use a sewing machine to put some pieces together. My latest was a cushion. Posted cross stitch thread. Unfortunately even with a metal ruler can't cut straight lines. But happy with my efforts. Can't wait to see you next patchwork. ?

Ashcombe Thu 04-Mar-21 11:15:06

This is beautiful - I love the colours and am in awe of your talent. Well done!

Gwyneth Thu 04-Mar-21 11:17:52

Really lovely and a first attempt well done.

Hithere Thu 04-Mar-21 11:30:39

Gorgeous

Baggs Thu 04-Mar-21 11:30:42

That's lovely, lizzypop ?

Puzzler61 Thu 04-Mar-21 11:33:19

Very pretty lizziepop and if you enjoyed it you can move on to more adventurous things like cushions.

Puzzler61 Thu 04-Mar-21 11:33:43

Good luck with the 5:2 diet b.t.w. ?

Sar53 Thu 04-Mar-21 11:38:14

Very pretty, well done lizziepop xx

lizzypopbottle Thu 04-Mar-21 12:33:27

Callistemon Thanks for the warning. Our dogs have huge, power chewed nylabones but Charlie doesn't bother with them! We've found hide chews actually make their mouths bleed.

Here's a photo to show the size of my little project. It's actually quilted with batting and backing. I used a linen table napkin on the back. I've got some odds and ends of fabric in blues and in greens so I might make a couple more...

GagaJo Thu 04-Mar-21 12:37:31

That is lovely lizzypopbottle, so pretty and a lovely combination of colours and patterns. Even nicer, since it is your first attempt.

What about a bigger one as a cushion cover?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 04-Mar-21 12:41:04

Or smaller ones as coasters.

That's great Lizzy but do be careful - patchwork can become an addiction!

allsortsofbags Thu 04-Mar-21 12:50:29

Really lovely :-) WOW for your first piece too :-)

I love seeing photo's of peoples projects, so many amazingly talented folks around.

All I've managed is to paint and cover some waste baskets and a laundry basket. My bit of up-cycling as I used paint that was in the shed and an old cream cotton dressing gown.

emmasnan Thu 04-Mar-21 12:57:46

I think its lovely, an amazing first piece.

lizzypopbottle Thu 04-Mar-21 13:25:37

I think I'm safe from patchwork addiction, lbc1955 because you need such accuracy when joining pieces ?

Greyduster Thu 04-Mar-21 14:11:19

Gransnet is fostering severe quilt envy in me! Lovely work, Lizzie! I can’t sew for toffee.

lizzypopbottle Thu 04-Mar-21 15:27:16

My mother was a trained tailoress. She made a lot of our clothes and she taught my sister and me.

lizzypopbottle Sat 06-Mar-21 13:02:42

More fasting day (yesterday) projects. These art folders are for my grandchildren. I'll attach one of the inside next...

lizzypopbottle Sat 06-Mar-21 13:03:42

Inside:

Blossoming Sat 06-Mar-21 13:08:16

Lovely work lizzypop ottle. I’ve neglected my sewing lately.