Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Request from Gds’s school to knit these!

(21 Posts)
Witzend Fri 05-Mar-21 10:41:24

He’s in reception. I still don’t know what they’re going to do with them, or how many they want, or by when (waiting for enlightenment from dd) but the blanket will be put aside for now.

ixion Fri 05-Mar-21 10:58:04

My heart always sinks when I read the words "simply"!
Do they really emerge from a "square"?
Please keep us posted - am very interested!

Witzend Fri 05-Mar-21 12:43:47

Yes, just from a square - joined into a tube, stitched through after stuffing to define ‘arms’ and ‘legs’, neck gathered round tightly for head, top corners pinched out and stitched across to make ‘ears’.
I’ve just made the square for the zombie/alien - I had some nice bright green yarn for him!
Will post some pics once finished.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 05-Mar-21 13:05:36

They look intriguing Witzend and hopefully can be made from scraps.

Witzend Sat 06-Mar-21 11:38:59

Superboy, Supergirl, and The Alien. Gds is bound to ask why he looks sad, so I’ll have to say that’s how they smile on Planet Blob.?

The action girl in the pattern (I did diverge a bit) had a pink face and yellow plaits, but in the interests of diversity, since it’s a fairly multi-ethnic school...

Baggs Sat 06-Mar-21 11:52:12

The picture of the grey-skinned doll reminded me of somethng from 1958-9, witzend, when my eldest brother started school aged four and a half in Leeds. My dad, who was a teacher, picked J up on his motorbike after school and rode him home. Apparently J was v quiet all evening (unusual). Eventually, having recovered from the shock of his first day (no playgroups or nurseries then), when asked about school, he said: "Everyone shouts!"

Later, in a conversation with Mum he explained that people were different colours. Mum said: "Oh yes? How do you mean?"
Bro: Well, some of them are nice brown colours, not just grey like us.

FarNorth Sat 06-Mar-21 12:56:00

Yours are excellent Witzend and I'm surprised that all the ones in the picture are pink.

It seems an unreasonable thing to ask people to do at home, tho.
Los of people can't knit and, even if they can, might not have needles and yarn (and time) available.

ixion Sat 06-Mar-21 13:00:08

They're lovely,*witzend*, thank you for sharing.
I would keep a low profile when the season of school fairs comes around! You would be in great demand!

Witzend Sat 06-Mar-21 13:09:04

It wasn’t a command, UpNorth, they just asked whether any parents or grandparents who could knit would like to make some.

The face is supposed to be a lightish brown, Baggs - I hope it doesn’t look grey in the ‘flesh’!

FarNorth Sat 06-Mar-21 13:16:47

Fair enough.

V3ra Sat 06-Mar-21 13:27:35

They're so cute! Great fun to make I imagine ?
More pictures later hopefully!

NotTooOld Sat 06-Mar-21 14:55:46

Well done, Witzend. They look really good.

silverlining48 Sat 06-Mar-21 15:36:37

They look really good, i can knit squares so might give it a try. Do you knit a plain tube and embroider or knit in stripes?

Witzend Sat 06-Mar-21 20:33:51

@silverlining48 - and anyone else who might like the pattern, if you PM me with your email I can send them. They came via dd as 4 photos so need to be printed on A 4 otherwise very hard to read the print.

Witzend Sat 13-Mar-21 15:27:35

He’s not included in the patterns, but I couldn’t resist adding SuperTed to the ones I made already.

maryrose54 Sun 14-Mar-21 09:57:36

These look fun Witzend. You make a much better job of adding all the features than I do when I knit character dolls. They are brilliant.

Witzend Tue 16-Mar-21 07:51:42

Thank you, maryrose54, but I often do them several times before they look right! However I’ve made several Jean Greenhowe patterns before, and her explicit instructions for eyes etc. certainly help.
I added a scarf to SuperTed in order to cover where I’d secured the facial stitches - otherwise there was nowhere to do it without it showing, and I didn’t want them unsecured - far too easy for small children to pick off.

DillytheGardener Tue 16-Mar-21 07:59:38

I love the way you have indicated the character’s arms. Very clever indeed!

Witzend Tue 16-Mar-21 08:04:58

It was in the instructions, Dilly, nothing clever on my part!

OnwardandUpward Tue 16-Mar-21 08:21:34

They are very clever and cute! I can't knit at all, hope I never get asked grin

maryrose54 Sun 21-Mar-21 10:09:55

Witzend, I have made several Jean Greenhow dolls for friends and family and agree that the instructions for making the face are very helpful. Am trying to decide who I can knit one for next as I do enjoy making them.