Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Sewing clips are brilliant

(24 Posts)
Blossoming Tue 06-Apr-21 15:14:35

Got a box of these on the recommendation of Sewstine, one of my favourite sewing bloggers. They’re so much easier to handle than pins for someone with my impairments. They don’t keep jabbing my fingers as I sew, and while I suspect treading on them will be like treading on Lego at least they won’t be driven into your foot!

B9exchange Tue 06-Apr-21 15:16:55

Presumably you have to take each one out as the needle approaches? I am lucky enough not to have a problem with pins, or for something intricate, I tack it?

JaneJudge Tue 06-Apr-21 15:17:16

yes they are aren't they? They are really good for heavyweight fabric too

Mogsmaw Tue 06-Apr-21 15:23:46

No, you’re ok. I can confirm if you tread on them they break!
I agree they are a revelation although I don’t think they entirely eliminate the need for pins. I’ve tried weighted bags for cutting-out but sometimes you need to pin.
Have you tried a rotary cutter? Again, not a replacement for scissors but another tool to use.

Blossoming Tue 06-Apr-21 15:37:15

I use pattern weights when cutting out. As I sew by hand I don’t need to remove the clips, I just place them along my sewing line and stitch beneath them. I don’t bother tacking small items, but if I did tack I’d still need to pin or clip to keep the fabric in place while I tacked it. A needlework teacher advised against a rotary cutter for safety reasons, and I’ve not really had a problem using shears. One-handed sewing has it’s own challenges ?

Ilovecheese Tue 06-Apr-21 15:46:14

I mainly use these for holding the binding in place while I stitch it on my quilts.

shysal Tue 06-Apr-21 17:18:35

I bought some when I was making face masks. They were ideal for positioning the pleats evenly. However, I pinned afterwards before machine sewing.

Blossoming Tue 06-Apr-21 17:22:22

I can’t manage a sewing machine one-handed Shysal so that isn’t really an issue for me ?

Aveline Tue 06-Apr-21 20:05:30

Would ordinary clothes pegs not do the same thing?

JoyBloggs Tue 06-Apr-21 20:22:15

They look interesting, thanks Blossoming. At the moment I just use hairgrips at right angles to seams and they're also good for hems as they're easy to put in place and they don't scratch your legs like the pins I used to use.

Blossoming Tue 06-Apr-21 20:40:35

Aveline

Would ordinary clothes pegs not do the same thing?

They would be far too big!

Aveline Tue 06-Apr-21 20:48:09

Blossoming I was only suggesting clothes pegs based on your photo. It must be pretty close up!

Blossoming Tue 06-Apr-21 22:14:46

It is Aveline, they’re only about 2cm long! Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound rude.

EilaRose Wed 07-Apr-21 00:32:24

I use clips when sewing handbags, purses etc, also when stitching some leather or faux leather trim on jackets etc. I started with the size in the above photo, then bought some longer ones which also open wider and therefore great for quilts, jackets etc.

The longer ones were great when I made a quilted patchwork jacket last year, however I still use pins at times too, just depends on what I'm sewing.

To someone asking if clothes pegs could be used...I tried these prior to buying the clips and while they work at times, the clips are a better design for machine sewing. They are flat on the base, so the item you are sewing will sit flat on the machine bed or free arm. They are also 1cm wide and the mouth area is 1cm deep, so you've got an instant measure guide as well.

A tip for anyone interested in buying the longer ones...I bought red for the small and dark green for the long ones and while I keep them in separate small baskets, it's easy to see at a glance which size you are using and also where they are located. I just bought the chinese ones on eBay, much cheaper than the branded ones in sewing or quilting shops.

A great little invention, I have NO affiliation just use them quite often, but for me, they will never replace pins. Hope this helps someone?

Rosiebee Wed 21-Apr-21 09:10:15

These were a game changer for me. I am lethal with pins but I don't make clothes so that probably helps. Quilts, bags, household stuff. They are brilliant for holding seams together which happens a lot in quilting. When I've laid blocks or squares of fabric out prior to sewing, I can gather each row up and clip the together with a scrap of numbered paper stating which row it was. Couldn't be without them now.

PBKNOX Wed 21-Apr-21 09:37:30

Will going to check!
Thanks for sharing!

overthehill Thu 22-Apr-21 13:27:15

Not keen personally as shush!! I sometimes machine over pins.

LadyGracie Thu 22-Apr-21 13:49:10

I bought some and tried them but have gone back to pins and tacking. Old dog, new tricks.

OliviaParcker Thu 22-Apr-21 14:39:51

To someone asking if clothes pegs could be used...I tried these prior to buying the clips and while they work at times, the clips are a better design for machine sewing. They are flat on the base, so the item you are sewing will sit flat on the machine bed or free arm. They are also 1cm wide and the mouth area is 1cm deep, so you've got an instant measure guide as well.

OliviaParcker Sun 25-Apr-21 20:28:07

OliviaParcker

by the way, what do you use?

OliviaParcker Sun 25-Apr-21 20:28:40

OliviaParcker

by the way, what do you use?

OLivia www.worktime.com

Daisydaisydaisy Tue 27-Apr-21 06:40:28

They are great arent they smile

EilaRose Tue 27-Apr-21 08:59:53

Olivia, it really depends what I'm sewing and the fabric, but mainly glass-headed pins following by clips of which I have two sizes.

Daisy, yes I think they are great, specially when sewing handbags which are too thick to use pins...my pins were all becoming bent (like a banana) so I had to search for something else. Clips are also good if you are sewing leather or some other fabric which will be permanently marked if using pins.

Another use for clips is to clip both layers of knit fabrics together on the cutting table, specially if the edges want to curl.

overthehill...don't sew over pins!! have you thought about what a broken pin or piece of pin tip can do to your eye? this can also damage your machine and while that can be an expensive repair, a machine is easier to fix than an eye.

I 'always' wear glasses when sewing (for eye protection) as some years ago I missed seeing a pin embedded in some polar fleece I was sewing. The machine needle found it and the tip broke off and flew at speed towards my face. Fortunately I had quick reflexes and threw my head backwards but the needle tip hit between my nose and top lip resulting in a bloody mess! My sewing room looked like a murder scene from a movie...but...my eyes were safe and I've never sewing withOUT glasses since that day.

I've read in sewing groups of other people having similar experiences and we all wear glasses for the same reason. If you don't have prescription or safety glasses, a pair of generic glasses from the cheap shop is OK (I checked this with an optometrist) because the lenses don't fracture like glass.

twinnytwin Tue 27-Apr-21 10:13:35

I use clips for sewing knits and thick fabric for coats, handbags etc but sometimes a few pins are perfect too. I cut out almost exclusively with a rotary cutter now. It does take a bit of practice. I've been sewing for 60 years (started young on my mother's knee) and I love all the changes happening in the sewing world. I now have a gorgeous all-singing, all-dancing sewing machine and overlocker and coverstitch machines. I also mostly use PDF patterns - instant gratification. I also wear glasses. Happy sewing.