Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

I love Joy but any other recommended beginner dressmaking tutorials?

(15 Posts)
Nellie098 Sat 17-Apr-21 13:45:49

I am trying to pluck up the courage to start sewing some clothes. I have bought some patterns and material, in fact you name it I've probably got it.
Trying to find some decent tutorials I came across Vintage Sewing School and others but they are mostly short videos on specific techniques.
However my favourite is Joy Bernhardt. She is american and I know that a lot of people find the presentation a tad different from british presenters.
But if you want to laugh, Joy is so amusing and although not a seamstress, she shares in detail how she makes tops and pants but is a little fixated on a certain project type. She even has a tutorial on a pattern I recently bought so that is good. She is down to earth and makes me laugh. The other night I watched a video about her trip to a supermarket and using the self service till and I couldn't help laughing.
Anyway can anyone recommend any other sites that have free complete tutorials on dressmaking, particularly for a beginner?

Fennel Sun 18-Apr-21 11:15:52

When I did a lot of sewing I used to like Gertie videos ( Gretchen Hirsh). They're long and very detailed.
Here's an example:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM_B5_I_Rkk

JaneJudge Sun 18-Apr-21 11:19:33

I honestly would do a class. I know someone brilliant but it will depend where you live!

I have one of Gertie's books, they are very simple for a beginner smile

Blossoming Sun 18-Apr-21 12:05:04

Another Gertie fan here. I subscribe to a few YouTube sewing channels, but mainly hand sewing as that’s what I enjoy. Have a look at Gertie’s beginner video ?

youtu.be/rnTwT-ifLkU

Susie42 Sun 18-Apr-21 12:21:11

The Stitch Sisters classes are good and explain everything clearly.

Daisydaisydaisy Tue 27-Apr-21 06:19:56

Hello there.
I'm a confident beginner...I think LOL... I want to make a wrap dress/top..I'm going to have a go at copying one I already have.smile

If you are interested in bags ,Bunting general Debbie Shore is lovely.♡

JackyB Tue 27-Apr-21 09:38:18

I'm glad you asked this. I have watched Evelyn Wood's Vintage sewing school that you mention. I find her fascinating to watch. But she does have a perfect figure so anything would look nice on her. Being a sack of potatoes myself, I can't really relate to that.

Will have a look at the others mentioned here. There certain ly is a huge difference between the American and British ways of presenting.

I am still doing lots of mending and making odd small things to get back into practice, but I would like to have a go at some nice dresses for the DGDs.

twinnytwin Tue 27-Apr-21 10:00:30

Many of the pattern makers these days have links on their pdf patterns to sew-along videos and blogs which are really detailed. Search for sew alongs and lots come up. Happy sewing.

Trisha57 Tue 27-Apr-21 10:11:49

JackyB depending on your DGDs ages, there is a great pattern for a Sunday Girl dress on the Sewcando website. It was the first dress I made for my 8 year old GD and I have gone on to make three more in various fabric combinations. You can download the pattern and instructions from www.sewcando.com/2019/05/free-pattern-sleeveless-sunday-girls.html

JackyB Tue 27-Apr-21 13:42:59

Thanks Trisha that looks perfect. The little girl in one of the pictures even looks a bit like my DGD

fizzybee Tue 27-Apr-21 14:09:18

Is there any free in depth tutorials on how to read a sewing pattern?....I have also collected lots of fabric, a sewing machine, etc I opened up the sewing pattern, froze and put everything away again, as it looked far too complicated....

Trisha57 Tue 27-Apr-21 18:21:22

JackyB Here is one of the Sunday Girl dresses I made, for a bit of inspiration!

Trisha57 Tue 27-Apr-21 18:22:18

Ooops, one of those photos should have been the front view - here it is!

twinnytwin Wed 28-Apr-21 11:17:18

There's lots of free YouTube and blogs to learn to read patterns. Just put How to read a sewing pattern. Lots pop up.

Trisha57 Wed 28-Apr-21 12:08:34

I found this one helpful when I first re-started sewing: www.sewessential.co.uk/blog/beginners-guide-reading-understanding-sewing-pattern/