Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Watercolour painting

(79 Posts)
Purplepixie Thu 25-Nov-21 10:37:32

I have just finished this watercolour painting of a snow scene. These are the things that keep me sane during these trying times.
Thank you for looking

Whitewavemark2 Thu 25-Nov-21 10:38:27

Good stuff. I like doing snow scenes.

Calistemon Thu 25-Nov-21 10:45:13

Your painting is lovely, purplepixie, it's so atmospheric and I love the sky and reflections in the snow.

The first painting I did was of a snow scene, I was very pleased at the time and framed it but it wasn't really very good. DH found it the other day and thought we ought to hang it up for Christmas. Looking at yours I think the answer is No.

V3ra Thu 25-Nov-21 10:46:15

Dazzling ?

Shinamae Thu 25-Nov-21 10:46:41

I would love to be able to paint…… that is a lovely painting…

muse Thu 25-Nov-21 11:00:00

Thank you for posting your work Purplepixie. I love the sky. Sunsets always amaze me.

silverlining48 Thu 25-Nov-21 11:02:12

Really like the reflections and the light. Well done.
I did my first water colour this year but mine looks quite ‘flat’ in comparison.
It’s harder than I thought so am
Having a go at knitting instead

Calistemon Thu 25-Nov-21 11:05:49

mine looks quite ‘flat’ in comparison.

Yes, I think that was what was wrong with mine.

Keep trying, silverlining. Although someone did advise me not to give up the day job! ?

Yammy Thu 25-Nov-21 11:06:31

Well done what a beautiful scene. I have tried watercolour painting and classes but never got away with it I envy your talent.envy

Witzend Thu 25-Nov-21 11:12:09

That’s gorgeous! You’re so talented.
I do envy anyone who can produce such things - I can’t draw to save my life.

Josianne Thu 25-Nov-21 11:14:05

Thank you. Is it of somewhere local to you?

Forsythia Thu 25-Nov-21 11:15:56

That is a beautiful painting. I use watercolours but I’m nowhere near able to paint like that. I’ll keep at it.

silverlining48 Thu 25-Nov-21 11:17:44

Calistemon if I wete to rely on my artistic ‘talent ‘ I would starve in my garret.
Mine is framed and on the wall but now feel embarrassed and am glad it’s a bit out of the way,

Greyduster Thu 25-Nov-21 11:19:50

I love snow scenes too. That’s a beauty. I feel I could walk right into it!

Purplepixie Thu 25-Nov-21 11:22:37

Thank you everyone for your kind words. The painting was taken from a picture but not sure where it is.

Never give up and practise as much as you can. I used to paint as a child and my dad was really good at it and he inspired me. I have tried oil paints as a teenager but didn’t like the smell. I have also tried acrylics and gauche but I much prefer watercolours.

Calistemon Thu 25-Nov-21 11:23:39

I should get back to it, it's just getting started again which is the hurdle.

Purplepixie Thu 25-Nov-21 11:25:41

I am going to try and do a robin this afternoon but my earlier attempt made it look like a vulture!!! Birds are not easy for me to do and I much prefer landscapes oh and lots of knitting! Take care and stay safe. X

rafichagran Thu 25-Nov-21 11:30:06

Lovely painting, get a beautiful frame for it. You are very talented.

Fridayschild Thu 25-Nov-21 11:51:46

That’s really lovely. As nice as any I’ve seen for sale!

Skydancer Thu 25-Nov-21 11:55:08

Purplepixie that is so beautiful. I'd definitely have your picture on my wall. It must be great to be so talented and have something that you can always turn to. Keep it and looking forward to seeing your Robin.

NotTooOld Thu 25-Nov-21 11:58:35

Lovely pic, purplepixie.
I think water colour painting is hard to do. I have made many attempts but always go back to acrylics which I find are more forgiving - easier to correct mistakes!

LauraNorderr Thu 25-Nov-21 12:01:10

You certainly have talent Purplepixie, I love your work, always a very light touch.
In my opinion the snow scene is your best yet. Very atmospheric, the light is marvellous.

nadateturbe Thu 25-Nov-21 12:03:06

Good painting Purplepixie. You must frame it.
I find watercolour very difficult. Like NotTooOld I stick to acrylics but a sky in acrylics is so much more difficult. I haven't mastered it in 4 years.

Namsnanny Thu 25-Nov-21 12:04:08

Purplepixie you've posted your paintings before I think. They are all so impressive.

Do you think you would be interested in starting a thread with photos of different stages of the painting?
It would be very interesting to follow, and we would get to see more of your endeavors.
Well done.

mokryna Thu 25-Nov-21 12:07:32

What a lovely painting, well done Purplepixie