Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Using up things rather than throwing away

(22 Posts)
JackyB Wed 27-Apr-22 15:04:22

In a recent thread (can't find it, but never mind) people were wondering what to do with all those shower "puffs" that were given as gifts.

In my usual cack-handed way, I am making a present for a friend of my DiL who recently had a baby.

I thought the ruched netting would make little ballet dresses for dolls, which are threaded on elastic to string across the pram. Or if she likes, she can make them into a mobile.

Here are the first two - I haven't figured out how to do the hair yet.

Aldom Wed 27-Apr-22 15:40:23

JackyB I absolutely love the dolls. Beautifully crafted.
What a clever idea and delightful gift.

crazyH Wed 27-Apr-22 15:43:53

JackyB how clever and talented you are!

lixy Wed 27-Apr-22 15:46:08

That's a brilliant idea! I never know what to do with those.

I am currently using coffee jar lids as saucers for my little plant pots.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 27-Apr-22 15:52:16

How clever. I have a couple sitting unused in a drawer, hate to throw things away, but I’m not clever like you!

Juliet27 Wed 27-Apr-22 15:54:15

What a sweet idea.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 27-Apr-22 16:36:45

They're so sweet JackyB I don't like those net things (though a friend loves them) as they remind me of Ena Sharples' hair net.

JackyB Wed 27-Apr-22 17:15:07

Thanks for the compliments but I really am hopeless at making anything.

Here is a teddy bear I made from a holey socks belonging to DGS.

Joseanne Wed 27-Apr-22 17:25:17

What a lovely idea, the dolls, JackyB!

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 27-Apr-22 17:26:57

You’re far from hopeless! I would love to be as hopeless as you. I’m totally beyond hope.

MayBee70 Wed 27-Apr-22 17:34:47

JackyB

I’m seeing Bagpuss here ( loved Bagpuss!)….

Blossoming Wed 27-Apr-22 17:48:10

Those are lovely!

Calendargirl Wed 27-Apr-22 17:52:31

I use them in the shower!

Witzend Sun 22-May-22 10:05:35

Brilliant idea - how clever! They’re very sweet!

lixy Sun 22-May-22 10:20:22

MayBee70

JackyB

Or sock thing from the Kipper stories.
Great idea.

Luckygirl3 Sun 22-May-22 10:34:11

They are very sweet and good lateral thinking - but are they safe for a baby? Worth a thought.

Elegran Sun 22-May-22 10:38:56

Another use for socks with holes in the heels is if you have a white dressing on your hand or wrist, to keep it them clean. Cut off the feet just above the hole and just use the top, For the wrist pull them on with the elasticated part nearer the hand, For the hand, cut a slit first for the thumb, and wear them like a fingerless mitten, with the elastic at the base of your fingers. The longer the top, the further it stretches up your arm and tucks under the sleeve of a shirt or jumper. They can be washed and re-used, or thrown out when they get too dirty and/or ragged.

If the foot part is OK, you can also pull that over the fingers to keep the hand warm when a glove won't cover the dressing - (the thumb is still out in the cold, but you can tuck it inside the top.).

AGAA4 Sun 22-May-22 11:33:12

The little bear is cute JackyB. I use those body scrub things to clean the bath as I'm not very artistic.

CraftyGranny Tue 31-May-22 09:39:57

Just for you Maybee70

Gongoozler Tue 31-May-22 09:51:34

What a clever idea JackyB. They would make lovely Christmas Tree decorations with a bit of tinsel.

Purplepixie Tue 31-May-22 10:47:59

These are great and such a lovely idea to use up stuff rather than throw it away. Excellent!

JackyB Tue 31-May-22 12:40:40

I am pretty sure they're fine for babies. They are hand sewn and everything is securely sewn in place. They are washable and anyway they are only for hanging over the pram or cot, out of reach.