Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Does anyone do patchwork?

(28 Posts)
biglouis Tue 24-May-22 00:03:42

Many years ago my grandmother taught me to do what she called "English piecing" using paper templates to make quilts, cushion covers, and so on. She never in her life used an electric machine because her house was all gas! She refused to have electric lighting installed because she did not trust it.

She had an old fashioned treadle machine - which I learned to use as a child. However all the patchwork was done by hand with the paper templates. I remember that cutting them out to fit was quite a chore in itself. However with care they could be re-used for another project.

In later life I came across traditional Indian (as in South Asian) patchwork and fell in love with it. All those rich colours, brocades, beads and additions. I like the irregularity and novelty of the designs - so different from the discipline of English piecing. A wonderful way to use up really small bits of fabric that are too tiny and irregular to make into propert templates.

Do any of you do patchwork? Do you use a machine or hand sew? I have always preferred hand sewing as I feel it gives me more control.

MayBee70 Tue 24-May-22 00:36:28

Years ago I started doing patchwork. Did a couple of pieces that I never finished. It was all hand sewn as I’m useless with a sewing machine. I think I did it because I bought some Laura Ashley patchwork pieces.

MayBee70 Tue 24-May-22 00:40:27

These are they….

Lark123 Tue 24-May-22 01:01:23

I have read with interest your post biglouis.

What a wonderful legacy of craft work, along with beautiful memories of how how your grandmother herself used her talent to create her projects.

The closest I ever came to quilting was having one on my bed growing up, bought for me by my mother from a craft show.

My mother did try her hand at quilting before my middle child was born.

It looked like it would be really nice; she was a seamstress and would use her electric machine, however she never did complete the cot blanket and I ended up giving it away to a thrift store after she died in the hopes that someone else would complete it.

I can just imagine the beauty and colour of the Indian patchwork!

I too admire very much the bead work and bright deep colours of South Asian hand-crafted items.

I too learned to use a treadle machine when I stayed with my grandmother for a time as a young adult.

This was the same machine that my grandmother and my mother too, used before she emigrated.

Sorry I can't relate to your question directly, and I do hope that someone out there will be able to!

I look forwards to perhaps a photo posted of any projects.

The only thing I can relate to in the slightest way, is that I have made many so-called "American hooked rugs" not to be confused with latch-hook.

Rug hooking was used by the pioneer women to make rugs out of hand-cut strips of old clothing, and was very interesting and artistic as any individually designed and hand-worked project can be.

I learned rug-hooking as well as the art of using an antique wheel to spin sheep's wool into yarn from my mother.

Here's to our memories biglouis smile

Shirleyw Tue 24-May-22 04:11:51

I used to years ago and like you maybee70 I got my material from Laura Ashley, …I hand sewn a small quilt, hexagons.

vegansrock Tue 24-May-22 05:12:52

I used to do EPP years ago, it’s very time consuming but it’s handy as you can do it in front of the TV or travelling. I love the look of hand quilting, but think my days of doing that are now gone - arthritis in the hands kicks in with too much hand sewing. I now prefer machine sewing and have made dozens of quilts. I made 3 out of my OHs office shirts when he retired - lots of stripes and I dyed some of the white ones. All the babies get a playmat and now just about everyone in the family has one of my quilts. I’m now doing some modern improv patchwork to make wallhangings and use up some of my fabric mountain.

Chardy Tue 24-May-22 08:06:21

My sister and I became grannies around the time I retired. I'd done the hexagon hand-sewn patchwork as a kid, but never completed anything.
So babies all got cot quilts, and bed quilts a few years later.

travelsafar Tue 24-May-22 08:20:42

Beautiful, Chardy love the colour choices.?

Mamissimo Tue 24-May-22 08:21:15

I love all needlework but Paper Piecing didn't fill my soul with joy like machine and art quilting. I like creating quilts for people - the bookcase quilt was for my DGD and the other was a gift for DS and made from his university gig T shirts.

vegansrock Tue 24-May-22 08:38:17

Lovely Mamisso Here’s my latest improv scrap quilt and the second one is a pattern called “postcards from Sweden”

WharfedaleGran Tue 24-May-22 09:13:22

I’ve never tried patchwork, the furthest I’ve got is looking at my fabric stash and wishing I knew how to get started! Lovely quilts here! Really love yours, vegansrock ?

biglouis Tue 24-May-22 13:11:25

Lovely examples. I will post some of mine tomorrow when I get a chance to photo them.

Ive even done EPP sitting on planes - the the fascination of my fellow passengers. You really can take it anywhere if its a small project like a custion cover.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 24-May-22 15:36:26

I love patchwork and began over 40 years ago with paper piecing hexagons, then graduated to applique and quilting. About 18 months ago I lost my mojo, as it were, and took up my knitting needles again after a long hiatus.

I'll try to put some pictures on here, as the risk of being a right show off.

Chardy Tue 24-May-22 15:39:33

Mamissimo and Veganrock I love them both

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 24-May-22 15:41:30

The first pic on my previous post is slightly bigger than an A4 piece of paper and is a mix of patchwork, applique, quilting and my first love, embroidery.

The alphabet is a mix of different techniques, (jack of all trades, master of none describes me) and the 3rd is a very narrow embroidery.

None are very big, I tend to get bogged down by big projects though I have made large quilts in the past.

Chardy Tue 24-May-22 16:17:32

lovebeigecardigans Wow

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 30-May-22 12:13:39

Thank you Chardy but don't forget I've had a lot of practice - some of my early efforts really weren't so impressive. I still make mistakes with colour choices and should know better.

Purplepixie Mon 30-May-22 12:30:56

biglouis - what a fantastic story.

I went to patchwork classes over 12 years ago and I really enjoyed it but I have an old “Newhome” sewing machine and it weighs a ton! The classes were upstairs with the car park a walk away and it was hard to carry everything plus the machine to the room. I stayed for 3 years and learned lots of ideas both hand sewn and machine.

I am in the process of making this single bed duvet cover. Originally it was going to be a proper quilt but I haven’t got the area to cut out the backing and wadding and attach them.

My next project is to try and make a quilted psychedelic jacket for myself for a bit of fun. Watch this space.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 30-May-22 12:34:19

That looks very accomplished Purplepixie very neat with proper sharp corners.

LadyGracie Mon 30-May-22 13:54:36

Beautiful Purplepixie So very neat. Does it take great patience?

fairfraise Mon 30-May-22 18:07:55

That's brilliant Purplepixie. The furthest I ever got with hand sewn patchwork (paper hexagons and old Liberty and Laura Ashley fabrics left over from dressmaking), was about half a single size quilt, which eventually went to a charity shop, during a big clear out years ago. I thought someone else might be able to finish it!

saltnshake Mon 30-May-22 19:42:06

Does anyone do patchwork. Yes, yes, yes! I love the endless variety of it and the opportunities for creativity. It has kept me sane through some tough times. If my hands are busy my mind will still. It has helped me make new friends and travel to some new places. My family and friends have lots of my quilts. I also make Linus quilts and have sold one at a charity auction. I even foister them onto friends' dogs.

purple pixie, have you room to house a folding picnic table? Mine opens up to give me six foot by about three foot of surface. I use it for cutting, wadding and backing. My old knees won't do floors any more. I spray baste the layers together, quick easy and effective, no more hours spent on pinning or basting with thread. I have made quilts up to large doubles this way. Lots of videos on youtube.

Anyone going to Birmingham in the summer?

saltnshake Mon 30-May-22 19:46:00

I can recommend watching The Last Homely House on youtube - Sunday nights, quiet, gentle, about patchwork, knitting, gardening and whatever takes Kates fancy.

Fernbergien Mon 30-May-22 20:00:33

I noticed Joules do patchwork material

Reubenblue Mon 30-May-22 20:05:28

Oh what beautiful quilts, you’re inspiring I especially like the Postcards from Sweden. Maybe after the summer as the garden goes quiet I should try.