Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

An interfacing question for all you expert sewers out there!

(11 Posts)
AskAlice Mon 05-Jun-23 17:58:33

I make lots of little dresses for my young GD, and tops and shirts for myself and my OH. I have been using iron-on interfacing but wondered if there was something else I could use instead? Do others among you use something other than specifically made interfacing? I know you can buy sew-in interfacing and I don't mind the sewing in but can I use, for example, plain cotton or polyester for the facings? My mum was a dressmaker and I don't remember her having special interfacing fabric.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

[Title edited by GNHQ at OP's request]

AskAlice Mon 05-Jun-23 17:59:01

Sorry, title is supposed to read "interfacing", not "interfacting"!!!

aggie Mon 05-Jun-23 18:20:56

Ask headquarters to change the heading for you
Repor t your post and type in your request

AskAlice Mon 05-Jun-23 18:23:28

Thanks aggie, I've just done that. smile

Ilovecheese Mon 05-Jun-23 18:36:05

You can use something else but it won't be crisp, personal choice really, if you dont mind a softer look.

Susie42 Mon 05-Jun-23 19:27:48

If you Google interfacing there are several guides as to what type to use with any type of fabric. Fabrics Galore is one of the best.

vegansrock Mon 05-Jun-23 21:36:06

You can get many different weights of interfacing. When making occasion outfits we used to use something called mull, which was a fine muslin type fabric you sewed into the lining. This would be used for the traditional couture garment. These days I like a very fine woven iron on interfacing to give body but remain soft. The vilene type which is like stiff paper is nowhere near as good. You could use a fine cotton lawn as interfacing on a lightweight dress, but it’s more of a faff.

rubysong Tue 06-Jun-23 08:48:50

This is an interesting question. If non-iron on fabric was used as interfacing how would it be attached (apart from stitching it into the seams? I've always used iron on Vilene.

Susie42 Tue 06-Jun-23 14:02:33

Like vegansrock I generally use a woven iron-on but I don’t sew much these days that needs interfacing. I use duckbill scissors with sew-in as it needs very careful trimming for a good finish.

JackyB Tue 06-Jun-23 15:49:04

I remember the time before iron-on interfacing. Brilliant invention. There are so many nowadays. I think you can even get iron-on versions of woven cottons, which would be the best compromise.

Quilters use a spray-on glue which holds the layers together until they are washed, like tacking but over the whole surface. You may be able to get a permanent glue or something that you can spray onto the back of another fabric to make it iron-on.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 03-Jul-23 12:32:51

If you use ordinary fabric as interfacing it has to be stitched either along all the edges of whatever it is interfacing, or for stiffer cloth like buckram, used in tweed jackets etc. along the top and sides, but not along the lower edge.