Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Car radio puzzle

(6 Posts)
naafi Wed 25-May-11 11:59:38

This is one of those niggly little problems that has already cost me just short of £100 at the garage and, because my motors old (2002), doesn't warrant a lot more money spending on it. I know it's one of those problems that people who understand cars and are good fiddlers (ooer missus) will know how to solve so I'm bringing it here, to you practical grandads, for help.

For the best part of six months now, my radio has decided randomly when it's going to pick up FM radio. It will pick up LW/MW all the time but FM only when it likes.

Start the car up - radio works, no FM reception, drive a short distance, say to local shops - no reception. Continue driving for 20 minutes and maybe it'll pick up. Could not stay loud and clear for over hour but could also randomly cut out after a couple of minutes. LW/MW available since ignition.

I took it to local garage who suggested the electric aerial needed renewing. Did that and, guess what, the radio worked for them but next day when I went to drive it, it didn't work again. Took it back and basically, got a shoulder shrug and suggestion to go to Halfords to get a new radio fitted.

Now I'll do that but I'm not convinced that the radio is the problem - if you know what I mean. Could it be connections elsewhere? But why then am I getting MW but not FM?

Does anyone have a clue?

I'm not adverse to getting radio out and having a fiddle but need to know what I should be looking for.

Or am I just putting off the inevitable.

daddydaycare51 Wed 25-May-11 12:41:34

Hi naafi it sounds like dont have the FM ariel wire coming from the back of your radio connected. You will still get the MW/LW and the FM will now and then kick in but will not stay on. Its like the FM on your house hifi if the FM ariel not connected then you get no or very little FM reception. I would go to a car stereo fitting store (like) Halfords explain the situation and just pick thier brains they will tell you or get them to fit/refit your stereo that should solve your prob ok.
Hope this helps a little.

naafi Wed 25-May-11 13:26:50

Many thanks DDC1. If it saves me shelling out for a new radio then that's a big bonus.

Ta.

tjspompa Wed 25-May-11 17:44:12

Agree with DDC51, definitely sounds like an FM aerial problem, if the aerial has been replaced it must be the lead or connection into the radio. The MW/LW aerials are built into the radio, which is why they are working.

naafi Wed 25-May-11 17:55:32

Aah, that makes sense - MW being built in and FM not. At least, if I can't solve the problem myself, I can go and ask someone at another garage/Halfords to help with a confidence that says I know what I'm talking about grin

Thanks for the help.

Michael Wed 25-May-11 19:42:35

I recone you have a loose connection on that arial. or a bad earthing connection. Look at them boath.