Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Our Shed -- Private - Keep Out !!!!

(109 Posts)
tjspompa Fri 03-Jun-11 14:17:44

As we GD's have not yet got our own shed as a topic, I thought I would build a temporary one, you know the sort of thing, few old doors, bit of fencing and rusty corrugated iron for the roof.

This is the place for idle chit chat over a beer or two.

tjspompa Fri 03-Jun-11 14:20:06

Been fishing last couple of mornings, loads of trout rising, but not to my fly's, only one fish. Due to the drought in our area, the farmer has started pumping water out of our lake, we need to catch all the fish we can, and pray for rain.

HildaW Fri 03-Jun-11 17:51:28

You are a bit old fashioned my dear....my husband's space has a different name....with thanks to Michael McInyre its called 'The Man Space'

tjspompa Fri 03-Jun-11 18:49:48

EEEEKK, we have a lady in the shed.

grannyactivist Fri 03-Jun-11 19:23:56

I love pottering in the shed, I also enjoy the odd hour or two with a rod in my hand, but I'll forego the beer for a nice glass of pinot grigio. wine
Occasionally I allow He Who Wears Trousers access to the shed, but only for him to retrieve or put away gardening tools etc.wink

HildaW Fri 03-Jun-11 19:37:25

EEEEEEEEEEEK who said I was a lady?

tjspompa Fri 03-Jun-11 19:52:10

HildaW ROFL, in that case welcome to the shed, but don't let Mrs. TJ see you. wink

Grannyactivist "I also enjoy the odd hour or two with a rod in my hand" well I really don't know what to say blush (Pinot Grigio is very acceptable)

grumpygramps Fri 03-Jun-11 20:06:26

I,ve got a shed with a wood burning stove in it , its the bees knees , cant wait till the winter!!
Hoping the grand children and I will have many a great time in it making things and chating.

tjspompa Fri 03-Jun-11 20:12:51

GG that sound s great, I could do with a wood burner, I'm a wood turner and get a lot of scrap wood (and projects), but with all the shavings and dust around, I would be worried about a fire of any sort in my studio. (Studio, sound posh doesn't it !! all good wood turners work in a studio - it's the back half of my garage really !)

Elspeth Fri 03-Jun-11 20:41:57

Aaah, you lucky people who have a real shed. I can only dream of a real shed. You know, with the cobwebs over the windows, the door that sometimes conveniently sticks, the nail you always catch your cardi on, the half-used bag of cement in the corner which has handily solidified into perfectly circular indentations for cans of ale.

All I have is a room in the northwest corner of the house, which I fondly call my "den", in which I can never find anything I'm looking for. That is a sheddy trait, no doubt, but a trait doth not an outbuilding make.

If I had a real shed, I'd be doing all the stuff I was never allowed to do, being a girl. I wish they still did Meccano kits. But then I'd be overrun by all and sundry, probably including putative grandchildren, equally intent on such fun.

I've learned all I dream know about sheds from here:

www.uk-rec-sheds.org.uk/ - the faq is particularly amusing erudite confusing.

tjspompa Fri 03-Jun-11 20:50:05

Elspeth, you are always welcome in our virtual shed. We also have a virtual Meccano kit, you can makes cranes, bridges and anything your imagination wishes.

HildaW Fri 03-Jun-11 21:41:53

If there is a wood burning stove......we can get a saucepan and make cocoa in the winter!

yogagran Fri 03-Jun-11 21:58:30

and toast some crumpets....

grannyactivist Fri 03-Jun-11 22:13:07

tjspompa I should, of course, have said FISHING ROD; my fault entirely for writing in such an ambiguous manner. Apologies to anyone who may have misconstrued my meaning!blush

tjspompa Fri 03-Jun-11 22:17:38

Our Virtual shed can have anything you wish, it may be a few old doors and fence panels on the outside, but inside it's a garden tardis.

tjspompa Fri 03-Jun-11 22:27:28

Ideas for additions to our shed would be appreciated.

Meccano, I remember that my older brother was much better at creating things with Meccano, which is strange, as he went on to become a civil engineer, whilst I became a mechanical engineer. I'd love to have a Meccano set to share with our Grandson.

Divawithattitude Fri 03-Jun-11 22:55:07

Might be able to help you there - will send you a message!!

(with the Meccano I mean)

crimson Sat 04-Jun-11 11:22:03

In my hippy days I lived in a shed for a summer..it had everything I needed [except a loo and bathroom, I had to sneak into the men's outside loo at the pub next door]. Bed, wardrobe, baby belling cooker, bedside table..lots of books. Sometimes wonder why I needed a whole house around me which takes up all of my spare time in maintenance [and spare cash]. On the subject of Meccano, does anyone remember Bayko? I've got a small set here..far too dangerous for children now, I would imagine, [with metal rods sticking out].

yogagran Sat 04-Jun-11 16:57:39

My brother had a Bako/Bayko set - it was amazing, but as you say, it wouldn't be allowed these days. Such a shame

Notsogrand Sat 04-Jun-11 17:40:11

Anyone watching football in the shed?

mollie Sat 04-Jun-11 17:57:32

I've got meccano...the real stuff... bought it for OH last year because he spoke so wistfully about the set he had as a callow youth. He made half a something-or-other and abandoned it... :-( Haven't got a shed but I have a very grotty garage, does that count?

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 05-Jun-11 15:48:09

Sorry, we at GNHQ have been a bit slow with this whole shed thing. To be honest, we thought the grandads might not be serious - and we didn't want to ghettoise you either, because we enjoy having you around elsewhere. However, we can see that you do want and need a shed, and it would be nice for the rest of us to pop round and see you and your workbench...so your wish is our command.

tjspompa Sun 05-Jun-11 16:12:51

Thanks Geraldine, don't worry we will still be poking around the other topics and putting in our two pennyworth. The ladies will always be welcome to contribute, and the odd home made cake will be very welcome.

baggythecrust! Sun 05-Jun-11 16:46:41

There goes pompa's cheekiness again! Hey, I have a bunk in the roof of my shed (sleeps three at least), which we call the Den, and a wood-burning stove. I do good cakes too.

tjspompa Sun 05-Jun-11 19:06:50

Cheeky???, I thought I was being nice (for a change, some may say). You will always be welcome, especially with cakes in hand smile