Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Our Shed -- Private - Keep Out !!!!

(110 Posts)
tjspompa Fri 03-Jun-11 14:17:44

As we GD's have not yet got our own shed as a topic, I thought I would build a temporary one, you know the sort of thing, few old doors, bit of fencing and rusty corrugated iron for the roof.

This is the place for idle chit chat over a beer or two.

tjspompa Sun 05-Jun-11 19:23:17

This thread is now closing - we have a new shed
New Shed

Thanks GNHQ.

The old shed will become a memorial to all the Granddads who contributed to the campaign for our own shed.

Michael Mon 06-Jun-11 00:09:05

The man down the road has two Sheds, One for Him and one for Her...envy

baggythecrust! Mon 06-Jun-11 06:33:49

I've just joined Adopt-a-Shed. Can we have the old one, please?

Robert Sun 19-Jun-11 01:15:49

I joined Gransnet because I thought it was for all grandparents - in fact I joined before my wife, the Granny - I didn't read the new website's name as short for "Grandma - net" but for "Grandparents-net." Then I saw it was starting as a mainly female thing and I was one of those who asked for it to be more inclusive of grandfathers. But now reading the posts in "Our Shed" and "Ask a Grandad" I do detect a rather condescending tone towards grandfathers.
Most if not all of the Grandpas I know are, like me, besotted with their grandchildren. I've never heard one express lack of interest. Since my grandson was born 16 months ago I've babysat, made the furnishings for his room, made toys, taken him for long walks in the buggy, put him to bed, sung to him [poor kid] and done as much as I can for him and with him - and to give his Mum and Dad time off - allowing for the fact that I'm still working full time. A couple of my friends have even taken earlier retirement than they would have done to spend more time with their grandchildren.
My wife - with a bit more time on her hands - has shown herself a supergran and I'm highly impressed with all her grandmothering skills, but we're not in a competition.
Yes - I need my shed still, and I can chat endlessly with other people about their sheds and hobbies, and I don't even mind shed talk being on here. [I recommend the book "Men and Sheds" if you come across a second hand copy.]
But let's have a little more parity. Remembering my own grandfather I think that my relationship with him was one of the most important in my life. My dad was rather strict and to have the model of a man who demonstrated unconditional love for his grandchildren made a great impression on me.
So here's shouting it for grandfathers.

Notsogrand Sun 19-Jun-11 08:50:47

Hello Robert, I was surprised to read in your post that you have detected a rather condescending tone towards grandfathers on Gransnet... it's a shame it seems like that to you.
You are right to say there are more grans than granddads on here, but from the earliest days there were lots of 'ladies' asking on various threads for the granddads to join in.There's not a great deal we can do if the granddads choose not to, but they've been welcomed with open arms (and virtual cakes!) when they have come along.
It sounds as though you have been a very involved grandfather and I'm sure your grandson will grow to cherish his relationship with you.
So I say here's shouting it for grandparents, because grandfathers are just as important as grandmothers....but they're not more important. smile

baggythecrust! Sun 19-Jun-11 09:08:55

notso and robert, I was puzzled by the reference to a condescending tone as well. Would you care to elaborate, robert, so that we know what you're talking about and where it is? I second notso's welcome.

pompa Sun 19-Jun-11 09:14:51

Robert, I am active here most days. I have never felt that the ladies have been condescending towards us. often we enjoy a light hearted "them & us" banter, but it is only a bit of fun. When serious subjects are discussed our views are taken just as seriously.

Please continue to post your views, and come to my aid when the ladies are beating me up smile

Gally Sun 19-Jun-11 09:20:47

Yeh for Grandads! wink

grannyactivist Mon 20-Jun-11 09:53:55

Hi Robert - your grandson is the same age as mine and I think he's a lucky little chap to have your input in his life. With so many men absent from their children's lives it's great that some grandfathers are forging significant relationships with their grandchildren. As his father was killed in action last year my husband and sons feel their responsibility to my grandson very keenly and they all make great efforts to spend time with him and take an interest in his milestones.

Magsie Mon 20-Jun-11 11:21:42

Robert I think Gransnet has a female bias because it originated from Mumsnet (correct me if I'm wrong) and was promoted on their website as being for grannies. That probably encouraged more ladies than men to join. I think the "condescension" you think you detect was intended as banter- we are all quite convinced that grandfathers are just as important!

Robert Mon 20-Jun-11 23:59:01

Thanks for your encouraging responses. Oh well, I'll take back the bit about condescension. I'll take it as banter and give as good as I get! Pompa I will stand shoulder to shoulder with you, though I think we need reinforcements.
I would certainly say that grandfathers are just as important as grandmothers. Each has a contribution. And with some shortage of male role models - fewer male than female teachers in primary schools for example - it certainly is important for grandpas to perform that role, whether there is a father around and especially in the sad circumstances that grannyactivist described

pompa Tue 21-Jun-11 08:18:09

We sure do need some reinforcements, more active Granddads would be welcome.

I certainly need an ally, there are a couple of new threads I am tempted to leave tongue in cheek comment on, but I'm not brave enough !!! The ladies would beat me up terribly if I said what I am thinking wink

Notsogrand Tue 21-Jun-11 09:00:25

Go on pompa, I dare you! smile

baggythecrust! Tue 21-Jun-11 09:40:16

I dare you too!

greenmossgiel Tue 21-Jun-11 16:06:35

And so do I! Come on - out with it, Pompa! grin

pompa Tue 21-Jun-11 20:54:47

I am experienced in holding my own with the Ladies, I used to work in an old folks day centre with six women, including my boss. They would always give me grief whenever I washed up, hoovered etc., my response was "I quite like to do women's work once in a while - it gives my brain a rest"

greenmossgiel Tue 21-Jun-11 22:11:51

You do realise, Pompa, that these ladies were allowing you to do these little jobs because they were too busy doing more important and challenging work......and you fell for it, didn't you!! Men - honestly!!! gringrin

Robert Tue 21-Jun-11 23:53:46

I can't knit or give birth but I can do most other things. Not being able to knit is because I'm left-handed. I'm still working on giving birth. The goddess Athena was born by springing forth fully armed from the head of Zeus [he'd been complaining of headaches - true] so he obviously had the trick.

baggythecrust! Wed 22-Jun-11 06:38:01

Being left-handed is no excuse, Robert. My left-handed daughter can knit. Sit opposite a knitter and copy. That's a challenge.

Or you could learn to do it right-handed. I write with my right hand but I wield an iron with my left hand. I also hold cups in my left hand, pour the kettle left-handed, and use a saw or hammer or screw-driver with whichever hand is most convenient.

pompa Wed 22-Jun-11 08:00:34

Greenmossgiel, fooled by the ladies again shock

greenmossgiel Wed 22-Jun-11 15:07:08

And Baggythecrust!, being a woman you'll be able to do all of these things at once - (because we can multi -task!) winkgrin

baggythecrust! Wed 22-Jun-11 15:49:42

And all the time my left foot is cracking walnuts. wink

twizzle Wed 22-Jun-11 15:55:40

What's your right foot doing baggy
grin

baggythecrust! Wed 22-Jun-11 16:30:24

Why, sorting the nuts from the shells of course! It's quite a dance! No wonder I'm exhausted!

Elegran Wed 22-Jun-11 16:30:28

And where are you holding the brush?