Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Our Shed -- Private - Keep Out !!!!

(110 Posts)
tjspompa Fri 03-Jun-11 14:17:44

As we GD's have not yet got our own shed as a topic, I thought I would build a temporary one, you know the sort of thing, few old doors, bit of fencing and rusty corrugated iron for the roof.

This is the place for idle chit chat over a beer or two.

Butty Sat 17-Nov-12 13:03:44

Daman - If you're still around or just lurking, I've just taken a peek at your profile and have fallen for the wonderfully woven willow basket swing/chair. Lovely.

Ana Sat 17-Nov-12 13:01:23

Well done that woman! (I would say well done to anyone who'd achieved that, actually!)

jeni Sat 17-Nov-12 12:56:17

Mine practically built a house! She couldn't master plastering, but everything else!

Ana Sat 17-Nov-12 11:57:13

Good for your daughters, Derek! I wish my own was a bit more capable in that direction, but she never showed any interest...

DerekB Sat 17-Nov-12 11:41:43

I bought a real wooden shed a few years ago, fitted it out with shelves, etc but I can't get into it as my OH has filled it with garden tools, spare furniture, etc. sad

So my real shed is the back bedroom. Nice and warm with my computers, model making stuff and all sorts of "things" that are invaluable, but never get used and can't part with.

Oh yes, I remember Meccano, I taught myself engineering with that, made a working printing press and loads of prototype machines. Strangely I ended up becoming an electronics engineer but the days of Meccano still stir memories and I can cobble together various things when needed and can mend lots of stuff that others would throw away.

As to letting the female breed into the shed, I'm all in favour of it. Two of the best workers I've had were women and they were much better at their jobs than the men.

My daughters are wizard DIY'ers. The youngest one's husband is a total numpty with anything practical. (Couldn't trust him to bang in a nail without destroying the wall, the hammer and probably end up in casualty)wink

Grannylin Mon 08-Oct-12 20:11:38

merlotgran grin

merlotgran Mon 08-Oct-12 19:31:26

My DH's take on being accepted back into the comfort of the house is staying in his shed late into the afternoon until he sees smoke emerging from the chimney.

It's also the place where he hides when Tesco deliver the groceries. He usually returns to the comfort of the house when the beer in the fridge has had time to cool down.

Daman Mon 08-Oct-12 17:30:10

Reversal of roles: I have a friend who has a shed for creative writing and thinking in the garden of her partner's flat, to get away from his computers and gadgets and such.

Daman Mon 08-Oct-12 17:22:14

I dont want a shed now.
I think its good to work towards being accepted back into the comfort of the house for an equal share.
Sheds are good places to keep garden things and hammering things, but they dont make a home.
Once playing about with mud and nails wears off, then the warm home is the place to be.

whitewave Mon 08-Oct-12 15:44:13

ana my father advised my husband to get a shed after we were married for a refuge and my husband noted at my daughters wedding that her husband already had 2 sheds - belt and braces -you might say!

Oldgreymare Mon 08-Oct-12 11:23:38

My Dad used to say,
' I think I've got something in the shed for that'.
He would disappear and be gone for ages rootling around only to return with a selection of rusty screws, almost empty paint tins ('don't buy any new paint I might have some') or whatever he thought might 'do the job'.
I'm sure if anyone had lit a match, there would have been a tremendous explosion, as he also stored the old petrol mower, and jerry cans of fuel, in it. hmm
He would return, smelling of the shed and its contents!

Ana Mon 08-Oct-12 10:33:47

Different.....

whitewave Mon 08-Oct-12 10:17:32

My DH made a speech about sheds at our daughter's wedding.

jeni Sun 07-Oct-12 17:33:28

Do you like horse racing then crimson I would never have guessed!

crimson Sun 07-Oct-12 17:25:42

I knew of someone whose grandad had died and they'd burned everything in his shed. It was full of his horse racing memorabilia; old racing papers etc. I would have given anything to have the contents of that shed!

angiebaby Sun 07-Oct-12 17:13:22

ella thats so sad,,,,,,but keep your memories close in your heart

angiebaby Sun 07-Oct-12 17:11:07

ther is a little shed in milton keynes,,,and above the door is a little sighn,,,it says,,,,,old gits shed ! i had to laugh. real cute.you could of course call it the old farts shed....thats even better, ha ha grin

Ana Sat 06-Oct-12 15:50:37

That is funny, nonnanoo! grin

nonnanoo Sat 06-Oct-12 14:38:50

https://twitter.com/50ShedsofGrey

so funny!

grin

Nonu Sun 09-Sep-12 18:54:33

Neither my dad , or my grandads who I don"t really remember, had sheds !

Wheniwasyourage Sun 09-Sep-12 18:45:39

When I was little we had friends who had a Wendy house with a lovely smell - a bit woody but with something else as well. I thought it was because it had been a hen house, but when we got our own hens a couple of years ago I was disappointed that they don't smell like that at all. Wonder what it was?

Anagram Sun 09-Sep-12 18:18:43

Yes, he was a very keen gardener, johanna! smile Those gruesome-sounding fertilisers, though....I did have a bit of a phobia about blood when I was young, and it quite put me off going in the potting shed for a while!

johanna Sun 09-Sep-12 18:12:09

Oh, ana , your Granddad must have been a bit of a gardener.
Blood and Bonemeal, the fertiliser of choice.!

soop Sun 09-Sep-12 13:33:10

I also liked the smell of putty. smile

Anagram Sat 08-Sep-12 21:15:24

My Granddad's potting shed had a special smell - lovely! But it did put me off a bit when I learned to read and noticed he had a bag of 'dried blood'...hmm