Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Emergency 999 or 112

(21 Posts)
pompa Sat 11-Jun-11 19:00:31

Having just completed a Speed Aware Course (yes I was caught for speeding sad). One very useful thing I learnt, was the use of 112 from mobile phones instead of 999, to contact the emergency services. Even if you have no signal, 112 will try to connect via any network, not just your own, therefore you will probably get through. Could be a life saver.

Notsogrand Sat 11-Jun-11 19:02:45

Useful advice pompa...many thanks.

GrannyTunnocks Sat 11-Jun-11 19:06:38

I remember being told that as well. Must put it in my phone.

dizzyblonde Sun 18-Sep-11 18:37:53

Also put ICE in front of the number of the person you want contacted in the case of an accident. It satnds for 'in case of emergency' and the emergency services will contact that person first.

Libradi Sun 18-Sep-11 18:48:44

Good information, thank you both.

Annobel Sun 18-Sep-11 18:52:04

Thanks, pompa, they didn't tell me that!

Jacey Sun 18-Sep-11 18:56:16

Thanx pompa ...I didn't know that either.

shysal Sun 18-Sep-11 20:02:10

A friend forwarded an e-mail circular to me with the 112 info, and also some other interesting things not many people know about mobile phones.

1. hidden battery power When your phone is almost out of power press*3370# (remember the asterisk and #)Your phone will re-start in a special way with this new reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery life. The reserve will get re-charged when you next charge your phone.
I have put this into my phone contacts, but have never used it.

2. to disable a stolen phone To find your phone's serial number key in *#06#
A 15 digit number will be displayed. This can be kept somewhere safe and used to report theft to your server. They will then block your handset and even if the thief changes the sim card it will not work.

3. if you lock your remote car key in the car if there is someone at home with access to your spare, ask them to press the unlock button next to their phone while you hold yours within a foot of the car door. Your door (or boot) will unlock. This works anywhere in the world.

4. Not a phone tip but useful in an emergency - ATM PIN number reversal if you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw cash, you can notify the police by putting in your PIN in reverse. You will receive the money, and the Police will be dispatched immediately.

Faye Sun 18-Sep-11 20:04:27

Reading this thread it just occurred to me that it is coincidental in America they use 911 and their biggest disaster happened on 911 (September 11).

Annobel Sun 18-Sep-11 20:38:54

Faye, do you think this is a coincidence, or was it a macabre joke on the part of the terrorists?

em Sun 18-Sep-11 20:54:47

I know most of us would reach for a mobile phone in an emergency but if ever you do need to run to a phone box I hope everyone knows that you don't need cash and a 999 call is free. (Maybe teaching granny to suck eggs but I've come across folk who don't know!)

Faye Sun 18-Sep-11 21:04:40

Annobel the 911 coincidence only just occurred to me. I have always believed there were explosives in the buildings.

I find these videos interesting from major news, NBC, CNN etc. www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n-nT-luFIw

pompa Sun 18-Sep-11 21:04:55

em, as I said earlier you are better to use 112 on a mobile phone, rather than 999.

em Sun 18-Sep-11 21:23:19

Thanks pompa. I didn't know that but also felt that with no mobile available it might be useful to know about the free 999 call from a phone box. Admittedly, a mobile would probably be more readily available these days.

glammanana Sun 18-Sep-11 23:00:10

All this is really useful and important information Thanks everyone.

greenmossgiel Mon 19-Sep-11 10:05:22

I've added the necessaries to my phone and diary. Really useful - thank you!

DamianTech (GNHQ) Thu 22-Sep-11 12:43:24

Wouldn't normally post on threads like this, but I stumbled here when testing something and thought I should point out some misconceptions as it's fairly important/life-saving stuff being discussed!

Regarding shysal's post, see here: www.hoax-slayer.com/mobile-phone-tips.shtml

Apart from 2, most of the info is incorrect I'm afraid. Very few if any phones have a reserve battery, the car key thing simply cannot work (radio waves vs. sound waves - not even on the same spectrum!) and reversing your PIN won't alert police - especially if you have a PIN like 3443(!).

112 is an internationally recognised emergency number, and is worth knowing when abroad as it will work even if you're roaming and can't make outgoing calls, although it won't work if your phone cannot get any signal (beware of this in the US/Canada with some older phones).

nanapug Thu 22-Sep-11 13:13:51

Many thanks DamianTech for posting, as I was aware that some of shysals post was actually not correct, but didn't feel comfortable correcting them as my knowledge was insufficient. I have come across these misconceptions before and it is a shame that they are not true as they sound good and always posted in good faith.

Elegran Thu 22-Sep-11 14:27:22

Trouble is, they sound so good that we can't help passing them on ......

I get these emails too, quite a lot of them from a friend who is not web-savvy enough to sift the wheat from the chaff. If I have time, I find out the true story from hoaxslayer or quackwatch, and post it back (I am definitely a party-pooper) but there is always another one being circulated .......

shysal Thu 22-Sep-11 16:04:08

Sorry about my misleading information, I rather naively took my email at face value!blush

greenmossgiel Thu 22-Sep-11 21:47:42

Don't worry shysal - at least you've alerted us to the second one - and that's important enough! I've put the info in my diary! smile