Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Wise AND vaguely presentable?

(47 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 21-Jun-11 16:29:58

The Radio Times would like to photograph a gransnetter to go with their article about how wise we are in parenting matters. The photographer can come to you - if you're free Wednesday morning, please get in touch at [email protected], letting us know your location. Thanks!

Notsogrand Tue 21-Jun-11 22:22:13

As this has been bumped back up with no takers yet.....

Is it just me who feels a bit uncomfortable at being asked to consider if I'm vaguely presentable?

Just a thought. smile

jangly Tue 21-Jun-11 22:38:15

I agree with you Notso. Vaguely presentable indeed! Blooming cheek!

grin

glassortwo Tue 21-Jun-11 22:39:42

Do you have to qualify on both counts wise and vaguely presentable , dont know if I can manage both!!!! grin

Notsogrand Tue 21-Jun-11 22:43:31

I wonder what Gransnet HQ/The Radio Times/the photographer would consider to be NOT vaguely presentable?

baggythecrust! Wed 22-Jun-11 06:25:14

Now that is patronising! And guess what, gransnetters don't like it.

Would presentable and vaguely wise do?

Who decides what is presentable?

Who decides what is wise?

shysal Wed 22-Jun-11 09:01:12

How about just vague ?

JessM Wed 22-Jun-11 09:07:22

What does wise look like?

Any nominations?

baggythecrust! Wed 22-Jun-11 09:37:55

Geraldine, do us a favour, there's a dear wink, and send these responses to RT.

pompa Wed 22-Jun-11 09:44:50

Mrs. P says I'm far from presentable but extremely vague, one out of two can't be bad hmm.

grannyactivist Wed 22-Jun-11 10:01:38

Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary Definition:
PRESENTABLE
1) looking clean and attractive and suitable to be seen in public
I must go and make myself presentable before the guests arrive. I've got nothing presentable to wear..
2) acceptable
You're going to have to do a lot more work on this essay before it's presentable.

Hmm! Whoever decided on this criteria definitely wasn't thinking!!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 22-Jun-11 10:23:58

That will teach us to be tongue in cheek eh?!

Apologies - we KNOW all gransnetters are wise - of course! And for 'vaguely presentable' simply read 'happy to be photographed'.

Hope that clears up any misunderstanding about our intentions

JessM Wed 22-Jun-11 10:43:39

Surely the point is though that this forum is an amalgam of a lot of different types of G with many different life experiences - glamorous Gs, gs that enjoy being non-glamorous, motorbiking Gs, Gs in their 40s , Gs in their 80s etc etc Putting a single face forward not good.

Still want to know what WISE looks like.
One of the most inspired bit of casting in the cinema was Dench as M in Bond films
Pity the script and direction did not do likewise and made her, I seem to recall, a bit of a dope with a soft spot for 007.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 22-Jun-11 10:58:33

Absolutely JessM - what we love about the site/forum is the diversity of the grandparents on here - all those you have listed and many, many more.
We hope that this will be reflected in many more media opportunities as we continue to grow

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 22-Jun-11 13:08:25

Can I just add my apologies for clumsy wording rather too late in the evening (and I hadn't even drunk any wine. On this occasion.) I was being playful, or trying. Everyone is presentable, of course - if I thought there was any such thing as an unpresentable gransnetter, I wouldn't have written it. As Carigransnet says, it was really just an attempt to say "are you feeling in the mood to be photographed?" The great thing about gransnet is that there are lots of different people on here and we're free from a lot of the ways people usually judge us.

HildaW Wed 22-Jun-11 13:47:13

Geraldine......yer on a sticky wicket..............I've long since realized that unless one is Jane Austen, irony in print is jolly difficult!

supernana Wed 22-Jun-11 13:50:06

GeraldineGransnet...I would like to say that I am not at all 'put out' by the wording of your request. It was intended to be light-hearted. If I did not live in such a remote region of the UK, I would willingly, cheerfully and without hesitation put myself forward. Happy hunting! smile

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 22-Jun-11 13:56:13

HildaW, you are so right. The best newspaper editor I ever had told me never to use irony in print. I just can't help myself, though...it slips out when I'm not looking smile. The trouble is that, in my dreams, I am Jane Austen (I know: only there). Must try harder in future.

jangly Wed 22-Jun-11 14:24:52

Geraldine, its ok. We're only pulling your leg. grin

glassortwo Wed 22-Jun-11 14:25:11

Geraldine smile

Notsogrand Wed 22-Jun-11 14:46:06

Geraldine....just joking. Oh, and thanks for taking that offensive post off, was just about to report, but it was dealt with. Gransnet HQ are on the ball!

baggythecrust! Wed 22-Jun-11 15:52:25

Geraldine, you can't be Jane Austen! I bagged that as well as the crust!

glassortwo Wed 22-Jun-11 16:22:40

baggy you got the crust you cant have everything grin

baggythecrust! Wed 22-Jun-11 16:25:39

I can try though! grin

Divawithattitude Wed 22-Jun-11 22:55:38

so did anyone actually volunteer?