Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Daft moments

(77 Posts)
GrandmaAnge Wed 29-Jun-11 19:46:05

Does anyone else have daft moments? I've just managed to stop myself flinging out the milk bottles to the birds, while the handful of bread for them remained on the kitchen table.
The best one I heard was my friend Audrey when I was office-based. She arrived early at work one day carryng a full Marks & Spencer bag. "I didn't know they opened so early," I said to her, eyeing the bag.
She looked at it like she'd only just noticed it and said: "Eeek! I was on my way to the bin with this - it's full of rubbish!" She'd carried it all the way to work and even sat with it on the bus.

JessM Wed 29-Jun-11 19:53:41

A classic. Hi GrandmaAnge. My late ex MIL used to try to be supermum at the same time as working. She once put her daughter's nightie, neatly folded, on the doorstep and the milk bottles in her daughter's bed. Hard to beat!

Sbagran Wed 29-Jun-11 22:09:58

Hi GrandmaAnge and JessM!
I've had daft moments that started years BEFORE I became a Grandma so can't use Grandmaship as an excuse. Got home from a long nursing shift one day to find two teenage boys lounging around in the front room while the sink was ceiling high with dishes. I had had enough!!!! Went storming into the front room - all guns blazing and demanded they get out and sort the kitchen because (I quote!) "I'm fed up of coming home to a dishful of sinks" Needless to say absolutely no notice was taken even when they had finished laughing !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only consolation is that it will be something they will remember me by ! confused

harrigran Wed 29-Jun-11 23:56:28

What is it about milk bottles ? One night when I was still living at home my father asked what I had done with the kettle, it wasn't me, my mother had put it on the window sill beside the front door and put the milk bottle on the hob.

Annika Fri 08-Jul-11 20:56:30

More milk bottles, this was long before I became a grandmother, it was the days we used to have doorstep delivery with the milk man.
Made myself a cup of coffee went and sat down to enjoy it with feet up and a good book to read, a few hours later back in the kitchen, I noticed that the milk bottle that I had washed out to pop on the doorstep was in the cupboard and the jar of coffee was sitting on the doorstep waiting for the milk man confused
Another time I had make a coffee (again ) but I had brought myself a treat to go with it ... a cake, I took the cake out of the bag put it on a plate took the plate to the bin and threw the cake in the bin leaving the paper bag which should have gone into the bin sitting by my coffee sad

em Fri 08-Jul-11 21:12:45

Many years ago my mother was teaching and was conducting a spelling test. The word she wanted the children to write was 'middle'. It's always a good idea to provide a context in a spelling exercise so she put the word into a sentence. Unfortunately the sentence came out as ' The boy went to piddle in the middle of the pond'!

greenmossgiel Fri 08-Jul-11 21:20:29

We had so very little money when the children were young and when I was due to have my last child (my son), I bought myself a really pretty nightie to put on after the birth, which, like for the birth of my previous child, took place at home. The baby was born safely and my husband was given the job of disposing of the afterbirth. He took it into the garden and buried it very deeply (because we had a dog......). By the time he came back, the midwife and her nurse had searched all over the place for my nightie......you've got it.....he'd wrapped the afterbirth in my lovely nightie and buried it in the garden. It was the middle of the night, too - goodness knows what anyone must've thought if they happened to look out of their window! grin

susiecb Sat 09-Jul-11 07:22:12

I have more and more of these moments usually involving putting something somewhere or forgetting the word for something. I have put a full packet of ttea in the teapot more times than I can count and everything thats lost can be found in the fridge - knickers I was about to put on, letters I was about to post etc etc. I have always been the same though my mind wanderssmile

Baggy Sat 09-Jul-11 09:48:09

There was the time, early one morning, when I was putting bread ingredients in the bread-maker 'bucket' but broke the egg I was adding over the sink. Hubby looked over my shoulder and said: Is this a new idea?
I said: It isn't an idea at all! Where's the coffee?

absentgrana Sat 09-Jul-11 10:20:11

I have lost count of the number of times I have heated milk with flavourings for a béchamel sauce and duly left it to infuse for 20 minutes, then strained it over the sink so the milk went down the plug hole and I was left with the peppercorns, mace, onion, etc in the sieve. I also once took a pan of peas off the hob and tipped them into a sieve while standing in the middle of the kitchen – hot legs, hot legs!

em Sat 09-Jul-11 10:25:19

Oh absentgran! I am sorry that I laughed when I read about your pea incident!! I hope you weren't hurt. Have done the sink/sieve thing many a time.

GoldenGran Sat 09-Jul-11 10:36:57

My latest daft moment was leaving the house in a mismatched non-pair of shoes. Was in a hurry , shoved my feet into one brown one blue. Have also done the sieve thing.Have just seen your story greenmossgiel, am still chuckling. grin

Elegran Sat 09-Jul-11 11:28:13

I still remember being present as a child at one of my Mum's daft moments. Making a pot of tea, she filled the pot with water and put the tea in the kettle - then tried to boil it on the gas stove. If you ever need to fumigate the house in foul fumes, that is the recipe.

susiecb Sun 10-Jul-11 09:43:31

Not for the squeamish this one - I have a habit of putting a pantyliner in my knickers the wrong way up . OUCHsmile

crimson Sun 10-Jul-11 10:36:16

I often buy a dvd from the supermarket, remember a few days later that I'd bought it [never get round to watching them] and find them in the bag which I'd put in the fridge. And I sometimes try to turn the telly on with the gadget to open the car. As yet I haven't tried to open the car with the telly remote control.

absentgrana Sun 10-Jul-11 10:51:43

What about keying in the burglar alarm number at the ATM or, more embarrassingly, in a shop?

Annobel Sun 10-Jul-11 11:17:12

I confess that I have tried to turn on the TV with the phone and answer a call with the remote control.blush

Annobel Sun 10-Jul-11 11:21:24

GG, your anecdote reminds me of the time when, as chair of school governors I had a meeting with the Head. I happened to look at my feet and, you've guessed it, one navy shoe and one black. She must have noticed, but never said a word.

chrissysimmo Wed 13-Jul-11 12:44:28

got huffy in Debenhams once as the cashier wouldn't accept my card. Looked down and it was a Tesco clubcard I was trying to pay with. Duh!

shysal Wed 13-Jul-11 13:18:02

A few times I have strained a pan of vegetables whilst simultaneously running a bowl of water for washing up, and squirted Fairy liquid into the collander! Needless to say I rinsed the veg and ate them.
For some reason this puts me in mind of the Steptoe scene where the dad eats pickled onions spilt into the bath!smile

Notsogrand Wed 13-Jul-11 14:41:20

In the late 60's when I had my first spin dryer, I put a colander under the outlet spout to catch the water coming out. It's still referred to.

Twobabes Wed 13-Jul-11 14:58:08

Whenever we have a powercut my first thought is always, "Good job we've got a microwave." Hmmm. blush

shysal Wed 13-Jul-11 16:31:12

I deadheaded the strawberry plants once !!blush

Annobel Wed 13-Jul-11 16:42:08

I did try to load the fridge instead of the dishwasher yesterday! Luckily I didn't put the yoghurt in the dishwasher.wink

MamaSG Wed 13-Jul-11 18:08:27

Went to a wedding in Paris for the weekend. Just a roller bag. Unpacking at the hotel and changing to go straight to the town hall for the ceremony...... shoes..... identical.... except for the heel....one was flat and the other had a 2" heel....fortunately I was wearing trousers so no-one noticed! I just walked a bit wobbly.....