Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Any brands you'd like/not like to see?

(85 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Jul-11 16:30:52

In addition to our splendid launch partners, Nintendo and Pearson, we've had approaches from quite a few brands wanting to advertise on Gransnet. To keep going in the long term, we're going to take advertising but we thought we'd ask you - are there any brands you love and would like us to work with - as discount partners or doing promotions, advertising or insight? No guarantees, obviously, but it would be very useful to know...

jangly Mon 04-Jul-11 17:01:06

Cottages4you, so we don't have to keep going over to the other place. smile

jangly Mon 04-Jul-11 19:26:41

10% discount off of John Lewis stuff would be nice. grin

jangly Mon 04-Jul-11 19:27:20

Stannah stairlifts

jangly Mon 04-Jul-11 19:27:32

zimmer frames

jangly Mon 04-Jul-11 19:27:45

walk-in baths

jangly Mon 04-Jul-11 19:28:20

Hasn't anyone got any sensible suggestions. (No, I can't think of any either)

jangly Mon 04-Jul-11 19:44:04

Perhaps we could have a discount off of the price of Radio Times, being as we seem to be contributing to it. smile

Notsogrand Mon 04-Jul-11 20:55:07

Most of us will be buying children's presents during the year so links/discount with Early Learning Centre or similar may be helpful?

JessM Mon 04-Jul-11 21:18:15

I think those are sensible suggestions Jangly about things we don't want to see thanks.
Or Saga holidays . We know where they are if we want them. Or Saga insurance, ditto.

I don't want to see blooming probiotic drinks that keep trying to con-vince people that they are better than ordinary yoghurt . They have no evidence, so they resort to things like "bring it on" "love your gut" . They contain a lot of sugar and far fewer yoghurt bugs than a pot of normal yoghurt.
One of them claims 70 years of research - but to what avail? So they would be my nomination.

Charlotta Tue 05-Jul-11 02:35:46

Good quality, nice clothes, well made, nicely sewn in larger sizes with elegant sleeves to just above the elbow. I would like to see more of them, so many that when they're worn not everybody knows here you got them from.

Mamie Tue 05-Jul-11 07:30:24

No products for earwax, dental fixatives and incontinence.

susiecb Tue 05-Jul-11 08:22:17

I'd like a big feature on British brands especially small firms (they could take advertising space together to spread the cost).

Please ban chewing gum ads and chewing gum generally it makes our streets filthy and I cant stand seeing people chewing the cud esp when interviewed on TV- Alex Ferguson you have been warned!

jangly Tue 05-Jul-11 09:17:07

Free postage on children's toys/clothes online, especially nearer the X- word-I'm-not-gonna-mention-till-September.

jangly Tue 05-Jul-11 09:20:36

Could you stick Boden on here too. (Be warned though, once you buy one item you will get umpteen catalogues from them for ever and ever.) (and that Johnny will really get on your t---s)

I their some of their stuff though.

Annobel Tue 05-Jul-11 09:33:41

Discounts on bulbs and other plants would be acceptable. Maybe not beansprouts though...

em Tue 05-Jul-11 09:49:28

I've just looked at one of your current advertisers - Half-pint Chic and frankly don't like it one bit. Reread some of the posts from grans who don't want to see their GC's dressed as little celebrity clones and then ask why a company which promotes Suri Cruise as a role model is to be encouraged by Gransnet.

janthea Tue 05-Jul-11 10:40:17

I agree with Early Learning Centre and how about JoJo Bebe Mamen? And Cath Kidston.

Carol Tue 05-Jul-11 12:03:33

How about well-made children's toys, whose brand names bump up the price? We all love good quality toys, but the prices are often astronomical.

Also, small companies that make good quality toys, who need a little publicity.

mrshat Tue 05-Jul-11 12:18:34

John Lewis discount would be nice as already stated and I agree with small companies that make good quality toys. In fact, any advertising from independent traders of toys, 'suitable' clothing (see Charlotta's post), and what about discount from Boots? [Sceptical]

jangly Tue 05-Jul-11 12:20:42

I do NOT like Boots.

jangly Tue 05-Jul-11 12:21:48

that's just me though. But I don't think they're very ethical.

Sbagran Tue 05-Jul-11 13:20:50

I an addicted to Ebay and have found incredible bargains in both used and new clothes toys etc for the grandchildren and also for myself, household, birthday and Christmas presents etc.
On a couple of occasions Ebay have given me a voucher for a % or certain amount of money off my next purchase(s) - I have used these opportunities and received the discount with no problems.
I don't know how or why these offers come about but it may be worth approaching Ebay to see how it works.
Perhaps Gransnetters could receive a reduction in the charges made following successful sales - although to be fair the charges aren't extortionate.

supernana Tue 05-Jul-11 13:53:39

I recommend Ebay...have found the best bargains ever...all gifts, household needs, together with my wardrobe of *super quality*-cost-next-to-nothing-garments have been purchased on this site. I would say that it is a buyers' market...'though I did help to make my husband over £600 richer by selling his Dinky toys [of which he gave me a generous commission!] wink

steamyjack Tue 05-Jul-11 14:11:36

If we are going to use ads. then please go for the BIG BOYS !
They will pay more !!
Saisburys, Waitrose, M&S etc. I am sure Gransnet now has the clout....yes, yes.