Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Any brands you'd like/not like to see?

(86 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Jul-11 16:30:52

In addition to our splendid launch partners, Nintendo and Pearson, we've had approaches from quite a few brands wanting to advertise on Gransnet. To keep going in the long term, we're going to take advertising but we thought we'd ask you - are there any brands you love and would like us to work with - as discount partners or doing promotions, advertising or insight? No guarantees, obviously, but it would be very useful to know...

FlicketyB Tue 05-Jul-11 14:51:38

Insist that any company advertising has to treat us as ordinary everyday people, but older. I find the depiction of older people in advertising falls into several stereo types, all of them patronising,1) plump little white-haired ladies having all decisions made from them by a determined ever-so-upmarket daughter. 2)Ever-so-upmarket couple doing lots of healthy activities and going on ever so many cruises. 3)Then there are the ladies who model clothes for older women. I doubt if one of them is over 30 and the clothes look so unflattering on them.

Also watch the advertising slogans. Last week I drove past a block of retirement flats being built by a well known builder of such homes. Facing the road was a huge advertising hoarding showing stereotype 1 old lady with daughter butressed by matching SILand fetching grandchildren. The slogan was: Move your mother closer.

If either of my children were ever foolish enough to try 'to move their mother' anywhere, unless I have severe dementia, they will deserve everything that comes to them as a result.

nainnainnain Tue 05-Jul-11 15:08:08

I agree, NO to walk-in baths, stair lifts, etc.
also NO to Tesco, Nestle (I believe they're still pushing formula feeding in countries where it often kills babies)
YES to FairTrade, Co-operative (even Co-op funerals, why not!) , and yes small firms producing quality toys, and a discount off John Lewis' would be great!
You can see where I'm coming from can't you? I'm just a stereotype on legs! smile

jangly Tue 05-Jul-11 16:13:05

NOT FUNERALS OR I'M OFF!

jackyann Tue 05-Jul-11 16:14:12

I had my list ready, then I thought WTH!
We are old enough and wise enough to be able to cope with any adverts, so let them give us their money, and we still won't buy anything we don't think is sensible & good value!

jangly Tue 05-Jul-11 16:15:18

nain, you do know I was joking about stairlifts and walk-in baths? grin

Dordor Tue 05-Jul-11 16:26:56

PLEASE no adverts with moving pictures. They drive me mad. Nothing can be worth considering if their advert annoys the hell out of the viewer.

And yes please to adverts for clothes for larger ladies that are made well of good material.

Thank you.

HildaW Tue 05-Jul-11 16:56:05

Talking about well made toys....Just Jigsaws online...was featured on a prog last year by whatserface from Location Location....O ordered some and was very pleased. They are still made in Britain by a small family firm!

JessM Tue 05-Jul-11 16:57:23

So classy, flattering, ethical, non-agist, non-sexist, non-cliched, reasonably priced sorta stuff please geraldine... You let those advertisers talk down to us and there will be big trouble! smile

HildaW Tue 05-Jul-11 16:57:24

Kirst Allsop.............you'd never believe I got a degree a couple of years ago....think it killed more brain cells than it helped!

HildaW Tue 05-Jul-11 16:58:45

y

em Tue 05-Jul-11 17:02:08

Am I the only one who is unhappy with the pushing of the celebrity culture?

Annobel Tue 05-Jul-11 17:02:20

Please not life insurance as advertised in the breaks in Countdown by people like Michael Parkinson - not even if they give us a free pen.

JessM Tue 05-Jul-11 17:02:23

oh her! smug, with or without the y

supernana Tue 05-Jul-11 17:03:12

No walk-in baths...chairs that launch you into never-never land without a by-your-leave...stair-lifts...no incontinence products...or stuff that makes you "go" whether you want to or not...or promises of wrinkle-fillers. We Gransnetters deserve and would appreciate pampering...so, discounts on John Lewis fashionable fashion, and discounts on delicious toiletries please...smile

supernana Tue 05-Jul-11 17:05:49

jangly...as you say...NO FUNERALS or else!!!

JessM Tue 05-Jul-11 17:10:41

Oh yes Woman and Home etc full of endless ads for anti ageing creams.
I still haven't forgiven Boots/Facebook for sending me the over 60s wrinkle cream on my 60th birthday! Tactless! smile

chatykathy Tue 05-Jul-11 17:13:35

Totally agree with you, Em!

I love browsing through Chez Nous, dreaming of holidays!

absentgrana Tue 05-Jul-11 18:29:08

Dordor I can see where you are coming from and advertisements for stylish clothes in larger sizes would probably be helpful to some gransnetters. However, there are some of us who wear size 6–8 jeans and some who are upside down pears – bigger busts than hips and tummies. Stylish clothes in smaller sizes (but with length – I am 5 foot 9 inches) would be quite welcome. However, I agree with everybody, we don't really want to see them on women who cannot possibly be more than 30 years old.

farmgal Tue 05-Jul-11 18:42:53

Sloggi Bras!!! Do you want to rip your bra off at every oppurtunity? I did. Only wear one because you feel it socially unacceptable not to, especially in the summer.
Whoever invented the bra should be shot! Probably a man.
That was until I discovered Sloggi. Fantastic, comfortable, - forget you're wearing it, bras. Hoorah for sloggi. there pants are also terrific - wouldn't wear anything else.

jangly Tue 05-Jul-11 18:53:10

Look, this one pulls on over your head! www.figleaves.com/uk/product.asp?product=Sloggi-Romance-Si-Bra&product_id=SI-12303&size=&colour=White

Might be hard to get out of though.

jangly Tue 05-Jul-11 18:56:53

I might buy one. I do like to have a seam over the nips though. Still, be ok round the house if they're cool.

Elegran Tue 05-Jul-11 19:15:52

The model wearing that pull-on bra is a real woman with hair in her oxters. Has the photographer gone mad and had a fit of reality?

Elegran Tue 05-Jul-11 19:18:05

Why do they put the strap adjusters on the back of the straps, just where you can't reach them unless you take the bra off, then you don't know how much to adjust them by?

greenmossgiel Tue 05-Jul-11 19:53:22

I like Sloggi pants too! I like the maxis, as they have a panel in the front which 'contains' my tum! (Well, sort of, anyway...) grin

JessM Tue 05-Jul-11 21:30:16

Nah Elegran I had to check... cos armpit hair is illegal as everyone knows...I think it is her long blonde head hair peeping through. Darn!