Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Any grans to special needs children out there?

(18 Posts)
ninathenana Sun 27-Jan-13 14:20:20

Yes I would like to see this.
Oldest DGS has suspected autism (awaiting diagnosis)
Youngest has had two open heart operations. Has GDD and takes daily meds for digestive problems.

whenim64 Sun 27-Jan-13 13:50:04

My sister fosters children, some of whom have had special needs due to their mothers abusing alcohol and drugs in pregnancy. We have learned so much from these children, not least to allow them as much independency as possible as they grow, no matter how tempting it is to do everything for them. They have dealt with multiple problems and face many more, especially when no adoptive parents can be found. Other children in the family take it all in their stride and the health worries don't concern them, other than they are helpful and sympathetic when a child is poorly. It's eye-opening to watch how medicine and care routines, disrupted sleep, frequent hospital visits and care planning meetings can take up all day and every day.

glammanana Sun 27-Jan-13 13:11:30

It would certainly be useful to have more information DD has not long been fostering a sweet little man who has co-ordination problems and a slight eyesight problem which can be corrected later,we go to a group for physio at a centre which has a light show room and soft toys for him to interact with this is provided by the SServices he is a happy little chap and the outcome is looking good for the future.

Orca Sun 27-Jan-13 12:56:19

It is humbling to read all the above posts. Though I have no children or GC with special needs it would seem there is a need for this 'content'.

karinu Sun 27-Jan-13 12:00:03

My nearly 5-year-old grandson has been diagnosed with anASD (autism spectrum disorder). He was born with hydrocephalus, causing pressure
on the brain - being monitored and under control.

He has speech therapy and OT, and will have extra help when he starts school this week - he lives in Australia!

I am sad to be so far away, would love to be more involved. Any info would
be very helpful, whatever the condition of our grandchildren.

Sewsilver Tue 06-Sep-11 22:26:20

My youngest son, now adult, has severe learning difficulties. He was left brain damaged after encephalitis when he was a baby. He has been my greatest challenge, brought me enormous joy and taught me so much. I so feel for young parents struggling with a child with special needs. Support from Grandparents is vital.

whatamess Sun 28-Aug-11 17:41:56

I have a grandson with complex multiple disabilities. A very rare condition (rare being medically defined as less than one in a million). So even the medics are working in the dark. He is recovering at the moment from major surgery.

Zephrine Sat 27-Aug-11 23:56:28

I have a severely disabled grandson, I have just spent three hours trying to get him off to sleep, my daughter has to do this every night. He was left severely brain damaged after meningitis. sad

majorcagirl Sat 27-Aug-11 19:42:58

I think it would be useful and interesting. My 22yr.old grandson david has a condition called Fragilex. People often call it Fragile what? as its not one of the more well known condition, but is one of the mental disorder condition which affects speech, learning and associated behavior. I would be more than welcome to pass on my knowledge and relevant addresses to anyone whose grandchild has just been diagnosed.

Faye Tue 19-Jul-11 23:14:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nannydeb Sat 16-Jul-11 21:11:59

My 15yr old gs has cerebral palsy,he goes to mainstream school and has just had a major operation on his leg to improve his walking and will be in plaster for at least 6 months.

anth Thu 14-Jul-11 11:07:07

my own 12 yr son has adhd and eplisy and goes to a behaviour school

Faye Thu 07-Jul-11 18:58:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

silversurfergran Thu 07-Jul-11 14:01:11

my gs, now 16, has autism and epilepsy with some learning difficulties and it would be great to get other's viewpoints on how this affected their family lives.

pinkprincess Thu 07-Jul-11 01:44:29

I have a grandson with autism.

raggygranny Wed 06-Jul-11 19:17:33

I would value this too, especially anything about ADHD

nanapug Wed 06-Jul-11 17:25:28

Yes please, perhaps it would help to raise awareness of some issues. I have a gs with growth hormone deficiency, and I find that very few people even are aware of it's existence, let alone the implications.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Jul-11 09:38:03

We're thinking of introducing some content for grandparents whose children have special needs. Would that be at all useful or interesting?