Old adverts

Annika Thu 13-Oct-11 16:31:48

Hubby was looking on the web at old 50s and60s adverts , he found a few old gems. Who can remember the esso blue man, or roundtrees fruit gums with "don't forget the fruit gums mum", and not to forget "go to work on an egg ". smile

susiecb Thu 13-Oct-11 16:58:14

Do you remeber the songs
'the Esso sign means happy motoring etc etc' and 'smoke gets in your eyes'

How about Cadburys fruit and nut cases?

Go to work on an egg (with a lion on it)

You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent

I'm an advertisers dream arent I? what a sucker!

Annika Thu 13-Oct-11 17:08:18

I used to wear a badge claiming "I'm a cadburys fruit and nut case " I think I got the badge by saving chocolate wrappers, I wore that badge with pride, oh the innocent of the young !blush

shysal Thu 13-Oct-11 17:18:46

The first time I saw a TV advert, on a friend's set, it was 'Murray mints, Murray mints, too good to hurry mints'

nannysgetpaid Thu 13-Oct-11 17:34:26

I'm sitting at my desk singing the Esso song and getting some very funny looks. Did the Smurfs do an advert for something. My granddaughter has them from MacDonalds and thinks they are a new thing.

Annika Thu 13-Oct-11 18:40:56

I think the Smurfs did an advert for pasta but I could be wrong

glammanana Thu 13-Oct-11 19:05:47

I loved the Smash potato advert's where the potato's got their head's smashed in by the martian's,Martini advert's with Leonard Rossiter and Lorraine Chase

Notsogrand Thu 13-Oct-11 21:22:43

A Mars a Day helps you Work, Rest & Play

Colgate Ring of Confidence

The Oxo Mum and her growing family

We always called the Esso Blue Dealer the Esso Blee Dooler.

There was a disgusting spread called Cheese Whizz. And an Everly Brothers (I think) song... The only trouble is, Cheese Whizz, I'm dreamimg my life away.....

I'm getting old grin

Annobel Thu 13-Oct-11 21:42:23

A finger of fudge is all you need....
You can be sure of Shell....

Annika Thu 13-Oct-11 22:15:48

The Esso ad...put a tiger in your tank

glammanana Thu 13-Oct-11 22:17:54

NSG Only Trouble is Gee Whizz I'm Dreaming my Life Away,from the song,All You Have to do is Dream,sorry to correct on this but me and The Everley's go back a long waygrin

Joan Thu 13-Oct-11 22:19:34

Murray Mints, Murray Mints The too good to hurry mints, with a bullfighter chewing his mint while the bull charges him.

A local camping shops ad here in Australia always sticks in my mind:

'Now is the winter of our discount tents'

Annobel Thu 13-Oct-11 22:40:38

'Naughty, but nice'. I think Salman Rushdie was responsible for that when he was a copy writer.

Annika Thu 13-Oct-11 22:43:21

1001 carpet cleaner cleans your carpet for less than half a crown smile

jinglej Thu 13-Oct-11 22:48:15

Look. Here's some recipes for the Everley Brothers spread. www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/search/searchresults.aspx?searchtext=cheez+whiz&u2=cheez+whiz&start=1&rsort=

grin

glassortwo Thu 13-Oct-11 22:53:01

Do the shake and vac and put the freshness back...........

glammanana Thu 13-Oct-11 23:04:20

jinglej how funny are you ? very very good,but the recipe's are worth looking at they look good,can you still buy that cheese whizz stuff ?

Annika Thu 13-Oct-11 23:17:09

and all because the lady loves milk tray wink

glammanana Thu 13-Oct-11 23:22:55

hands that do dish's can be soft every day with mild green fairy liquid....... thank you god for my dishwasher!

susiecb Fri 14-Oct-11 09:04:43

can you tell Stork from butter? absobloodylutley!

jinglej Fri 14-Oct-11 09:06:42

I wondered that Glamma. Those recipes seem to be "current".

jinglej Fri 14-Oct-11 09:11:08

Anybody remember the "Persil Washes Whiter" adverts up on the hoardings? Two little girls with their mums, passing each other on the street, and one's girls dress is a shade murkier than the other's sparkling white one.

I used to feel so sorry for that little girl whose mum didn't use Persil. grin

The ad went on telly later with a tune to the catchphrase.

Gally Fri 14-Oct-11 09:31:56

"You wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent"
(appalling grammar wasn't it!)

jinglej Fri 14-Oct-11 10:03:07

Can anyone remember powder "toothpaste"? Can't remember the name of it. It tasted horrible.

ameliaanne Fri 14-Oct-11 10:04:42

You're never alone with a Strand. I can also sing you virtually all the Ovaltiney song. I bet some of you can too...... I think that was on Radio Luxembourg.