Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Old adverts

(90 Posts)
Annika Thu 13-Oct-11 16:31:48

Hubby was looking on the web at old 50s and60s adverts , he found a few old gems. Who can remember the esso blue man, or roundtrees fruit gums with "don't forget the fruit gums mum", and not to forget "go to work on an egg ". smile

jinglej Fri 14-Oct-11 10:07:03

I used to have a plastic Ovaltine mug. It had a sleepy face on it and a cover/ saucer like a nightcap. My cat used to have his share out of the cap, on my bed at night. Happy days. smile

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 14-Oct-11 10:27:25

Powdered toothpaste - Eucryl? Still around!

How about 'boom boom boom boom, Esso Blue'?

And the ad for caravans - may possibly only have been aired in the North of England - which ended with the line "can we have one dad?"

shysal Fri 14-Oct-11 10:41:42

I remember a Gibbs toothpaste which was a hard pink disc in a tin.

I used to love the Hamlet ads, very funny. smile

glammanana Fri 14-Oct-11 10:50:19

Anyone remember Gordon Moore's cosmetic toothpaste,it didn't make the teeth white just made your gum's a vibrant red colour,and your mum would tell you off for leaving all the bathroom sink pink hmm

Ariadne Fri 14-Oct-11 10:57:06

"Someone's mum just doesn't know...."!

Elegran Fri 14-Oct-11 11:00:20

Not quite so old but I loved the Boddington's face cream ads

Notsogrand Fri 14-Oct-11 11:01:20

Was it Gibbs Dentifrice shysal? You could get it in blue as well as pink.

jinglej Fri 14-Oct-11 11:04:14

That's right Ariadne [smle]

Loved the taste of that Gibbs solid one. Never felt it could be very hygienic though. I could only have been about ten! Must have been born with ocd tendencies!

jinglej Fri 14-Oct-11 11:19:45

Where have you been Worthit?

Back over that Other Place I suppose. hmm

glassortwo Fri 14-Oct-11 11:31:38

Was it Persil that gave away the plastic flowers?

nannysgetpaid Fri 14-Oct-11 11:53:56

Yes glassortwo it was Persil. I hated them because my mum had them on the kitchen table and they always looked dusty even when they had been washed.

GadaboutGran Fri 14-Oct-11 12:05:47

"We are the Ovaltinies little boys and girls ....." - and I still have my Ovaltinie badge.

My parents were £10 Poms so I spent several years of my childhood in Sydney so adverts on radio were more common, such as:
"I like Aeroplane jelly, Aeroplane jelly for me, I like it for dinner, I like it for tea, a little each day is a good recipe" Are there any Aussies out there who remember this too?

Wasn't there a powder toothpaste called Eucryl?

ftleftie Fri 14-Oct-11 12:13:14

Can anyone remember:-

"Br-ush your hair, to shining beauty. with Vitapoint"

or

"Brylcreem, a little dab will do you
Brylcreem, you look so debonair,
Brylcreem, the girls will all pursue you,
They love to get their fingers in your hair" O yuck!

Now, why can't I remember yesterday so well?

Nannyliz Fri 14-Oct-11 12:37:06

My Dad used to use Eucryl. I can remember licking my finger and sticking it in the tin and then eating it. Lovely! blush

Nannyliz Fri 14-Oct-11 12:38:33

Just remembered the Camay soap advert with Katie Boyle. Rich, creamy Camay!!

Nannyliz Fri 14-Oct-11 12:45:52

'Oxo gives a meal man appeal.' My brain's going into overdrive, these slogans keep popping into my mind, and I have to keep running in from the kitchen to my laptop! At least I'm getting some excercise (christmas cake not getting done though), that's on another thread!

Elegran Fri 14-Oct-11 13:00:51

Remember Stayblonde and Brunitex?

glammanana Fri 14-Oct-11 13:08:09

Esso petrol used to give you a Tiger in your Tank and Shell gave you those horrible blue glasses.

glammanana Fri 14-Oct-11 13:13:16

Elegran my mum used to use both type's of shampoo on my sister and I,she was the brunette and I had the blonde hair,but first we had to have our hair washed in derbac soap to stop any unwanted visitor's.hmm

jinglej Fri 14-Oct-11 13:37:04

I just said, out loud, "I don't remember Persil giving away plastic flowers". DH grunts "that was twentyfive years ago wasn't it".

Yeah?! And?!

This is a bunch of grannies talking. grin

snailspeak Fri 14-Oct-11 13:38:35

Can I add a couple of the most annoying adverts which are currently running on TV:- The Big Fat "Go Compare" Opera singer (how annoying can you get?) and, I'm sorry, the meerkats? I used to love meerkats when we first saw them in a David Attenborough programme but that advert is just sooooo irritating. I'd love to buy my grandchildren meerkat cuddly toys but cannot bring myself to do so.

ameliaanne Fri 14-Oct-11 13:39:06

youtu.be/1EQ11Ob-d4A Now you can all sing (if this works). All together now...

nannysgetpaid Fri 14-Oct-11 13:47:08

It must have been a lot longer than 25 years ago jinglej I'm sure I was still at school or maybe my memory is going. Old grannie and all that. grin

Annobel Fri 14-Oct-11 13:55:47

'Rael Brook Toplin, the shirt you don't iron'
Oh yeah?

'You'll be a little lovelier each day
With fabulous pink Camay.'

Do you remember a soap called Lyril? I don't think it lasted long!
'You've got that lovely, lively Lyril feeling'

Annika Fri 14-Oct-11 15:15:42

Any one remember Brenford nylons with those those horrible shirts and sheets ...... Brentford Nylons — open Bank Holiday Monday … all right?

[Alan Freeman]