Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How Would You Like to be Told your DIL is expecting?

(59 Posts)
HoneyCake35 Fri 02-Dec-11 22:29:38

Hello.
My husband and I have just found out I am pregnant. This is our first baby but will be my PILs 7th grandchild! My husband's brothers both have 3 children each.
I have no parents - they died when i was a child so I am probably more excited about telling my Mother-in-law than other daughters-in-law. The PIL know that we have been trying and MIL has been very supportive and (again probably because I don't have a mum) has heard all about our fetility treatment (it has taken almost 2 years).
How would you, as a MIL like to be told - taken out for dinner, come to us for lunch, surprise popin, surely not phone(!), wait until Christmas day (silly grandpa / ma mugs) or NYE - we will be with them for both and can have some time on our own with them (too soon to tell everyone).

Would it matter if your DIL did the speaking you rather than your son?

Ella46 Wed 26-Sep-12 18:17:51

when flowers It sounds like they've each found their true partner and I wish them well.
Congratulations to you (lots more cuddles ahead!) smile

soop Wed 26-Sep-12 18:19:30

Honeycake many congratulations. Your excitement is infectious. No matter how you break the news, the family will be utterly delighted. Luverly jubberly! flowers

soop Wed 26-Sep-12 18:21:13

when...I'm thrilled for you. grin

Greatnan Wed 26-Sep-12 18:25:46

My daughter met her husband in a pub just after breaking up her long term relationship with a man twenty years her senior. He moved in more or less at once, and when he went back to sea a couple of weeks later he left her his credit card and told her to use it for anything she needed for herself or her four children. She didn't - but she does now, as they have been married for 17 years. They both say they knew on the first night that they would get married!

helshea Wed 26-Sep-12 18:40:28

I'd much rather find out my DIL is pregnant than find out my son is pregnant lol - would make him rich if he was though!

Littlenellie Thu 27-Sep-12 10:50:11

when what lovely news for you,something to look forward to,I had a great niece born yesterday but with family differences (very involved) doubt that I will ever get to see her,although my "nephew" and his partner hope to give her my daughters name.
Have never really thought of having more grandchildren as I was the first of all of my friends they have overtaken me in number,realistically cannot see my son having children any time soon as he and his wife recently separated,honeycake struck a chord with me how I would have loved such a warm caring willing to share DIL she sounds a lovely young women,and her baby must have been due this month would love to know the outcome after reading her post sunshine

JammieB Tue 02-Oct-12 12:31:07

Oh my goodness - what wonderful news you have to tell............ my son and daughter in law are having fertility treatment after trying for a baby for so very long - they can tell me they are expecting a baby ANY way - phone - text - Facebook - any way!!!
However you tell them they will be thrilled - I remember my other son phoning me and asking me how many grandchildren I have - I thought it odd that he didn't know but said "7" and he then said - "got room for 1 more?"
Every new Grandchild is the biggest thrill in the world x

Greatnan Tue 02-Oct-12 15:59:06

I learned to dread the phone call that began 'Mum, I have something to tell you.....' but it all worked our right in the end. Planned or unplanned, they were all wanted and welcomed.