Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandson not walking at 15 months

(35 Posts)
Annika Fri 23-Dec-11 22:56:57

My daughter is starting to worry that her son is not walking at the age at 15 months.
I have told her that all babies walk at different ages and not to worry, but as a mum of 3 children and 3 grandchildren what do I know !!!
All she keeos saying is that all her mates babies are walking and they are all younger than hers.
My first son was not walking till he was 15 months , my second was 10 months and she was 12 months so all very different .
I'm sure he will be ok but how on earth do I convince her hmm

Carol Fri 23-Dec-11 23:03:36

Some babies don't walk unaided until they are two. It's not at all unusual - there are a few threads about this issue on Mumsnet, I noticed recently.

glassortwo Fri 23-Dec-11 23:50:00

annika my friends little girl was 22 months, she was beside herself with worry and had visited the hospital to find nothing amiss and then little one just got up one day and walked and has never looked back since she will be 3 in March, so 15 months is not unusual.

Cyril Sat 24-Dec-11 00:20:04

Please do not worry Annika over a child who is not walking yet if in every other way he is a happy, thriving child. "She will walk when she is ready", is what I was told when one of mine was not walking at eighteen months. She never crawled either, but she was quite a chatterer. Doctor said they all do different bits of the growing process at different rates. At nineteen months my child one day walked from one arm of the settee to the other. Sat down suddenly and promptly pulled herself up again to walk from the end of the settee to the arm chair, back to the settee , to the other end of it and to the other arm chair. She continued this circuit laughing her little head off - she was a tiny child of only about eighteen pounds in second size pram shoes - for over an hour. By that time she was a confident walker and I had to really move to keep up with her. They are all different, and so absolutely gorgeous with it. smile

Cyril Sat 24-Dec-11 00:22:39

Please do not worry Annika over a child who is not walking yet if in every other way he is a happy, thriving child. "She will walk when she is ready", is what I was told when one of mine was not walking at eighteen months. She never crawled either, but she was quite a chatterer. Doctor said they all do different bits of the growing process at different rates. At nineteen months my child one day walked from one arm of the settee to the other. Sat down suddenly and promptly pulled herself up again to walk from the end of the settee to the arm chair, back to the settee , to the other end of it and to the other arm chair. She continued this circuit laughing her little head off - she was a tiny child of only about eighteen pounds in second size pram shoes - for over an hour. By that time she was a confident walker and I had to really move to keep up with her. They are all different, and so absolutely gorgeous with it. smile

NannaAnna Sat 24-Dec-11 01:21:25

I would also say "Don't worry". My daughter no. 2 didn't walk until she was 21 months.
I made friends with another mum at our mother and toddler group on the back of the fact that we had daughters of the same age who were not walking when all the other babies were. The girls remained friends throughout childhood smile and both are now laid back young women.
Funnily enough same daughter is now fretting a bit that her little girl isn't trying to crawl (aged 8 months) whereas all the other babies in her group are. I keep reminding her that she had no burning desire to be mobile either!
My eldest daughter crawled at an alarming speed .... with her head on the floor!!
Bless 'em all for being unique smile

Greatnan Sat 24-Dec-11 01:44:28

Comparisons are odious - especially when mums start comparing their babies' achievements! I used to get so fed up with the endless chats about which child was talking, walking, crawling, using a potty, feeding himself, putting on weight, how many ounces he was drinking, etc. etc. I would tell my daughter to steer clear of the mums with the super-advanced babies - and just enjoy her baby at his own rate.

Cyril Sat 24-Dec-11 02:25:34

There is no cause for concern about a child not walking at fifteen months if the child is clearly happy, healthy and thriving. All children are individuals and master each step in the learning process in their own time. One of mine did not walk until she was nineteen months old. The day she chose was a Sunday. She pulled herself up beside the settee and walked from one end to the other. At any offer of help she sat down. So she walked from settee to armchair back to settee and so to the other armchair over and over again for an hour laughing her little head off the whole time. She had never crawled. She just stood up and went for it. As I say they are all different. smile and all absolutely gorgeous.

Cyril Sat 24-Dec-11 03:03:47

That seems to be a serious case of hiccups there. I thought my first post had gone adrift and now I see that it went in twice. Sorry, I'll try not to do it again. blush

Ariadne Sat 24-Dec-11 06:50:21

Cyril smile

Annika Sat 24-Dec-11 10:59:55

Thanks for all your comments as I am sure you all know daughters tend to take no notice of mum!
Her friends have sent some words of encouragement so she seems ok now!
I am sure he walk when he wants to at the moment he can get everywhere by crawling and climbing over things!
Merry christmas grin

crimson Sat 24-Dec-11 11:04:58

My grandson [the one who isn't dry at night yet] has always been late doing everything..walking, talking etc. I can remember worrying about his walking [I can't remember his age] and then suddenly he was walking and kicking a football! The same with his speech. His brother was late walking as well. They won't do it till the right muscles have developped either but, as you say, why bother with walking when you can do whatever you like in other ways!

supernana Sat 24-Dec-11 11:19:59

Cyril (fsmile) How wise you are.

Charlotta Sat 24-Dec-11 14:44:25

I took my daughter to the clinic at 14 months, and to all questions, teeth? talking? walking? etc I had to answer No.
The nurse looked at her and said. 'Well she looks intelligent' and that turned out to be true, but I wasn't to know that and was quite down for a while.
She now runs half-marathons.

We were all late getting and losing teeth and the GCs are the same.

gracesmum Sat 24-Dec-11 14:56:21

Hope you are not losing them now Charlotta!
Just like everybody above my 3 daughters all walked at different ages - middle one was nearly 2. They all gt there unless there is a problem and that would have been apparent by now.

pinkprincess Tue 27-Dec-11 00:27:34

My DS1 walked at 14 months, DS2 at 21 months.
My three oldest grandchildren all walked shortly after their first birthdays.DGC4 was 21 months and DGC5 was 22 months.She ''walked'' on her knees from around 14 months, but is flat footed so that may have been the cause.
My mother had five children.Four of us were walking around 15 months, the other, my brother, walked at 10 months.
All babies are differant.

Faye Tue 27-Dec-11 01:16:37

My GS's cousin on his father's side was walking on her knees until she was 18 months old. It made everyone wince to see her, but now at three she is a lovely little girl who walks quite normally.

grannyactivist Tue 27-Dec-11 15:37:43

My eldest daughter began talking very, very early and was reciting whole books and nursery rhymes at just two years old. In consequence I worried that my second child was a really slow developer when she was only just beginning to join words together at two. I'm glad to say that I eventually grew very blasé about when my children achieved their 'milestones' and just enjoyed whatever stage they were at.

JessM Tue 27-Dec-11 16:02:19

Yes my GD very early talker. Little brother later starting in comparison. Caught up now though. My friend's son was incredibly late getting teeth. I think he was over a year before any emerged. They turned up in the end.

Littlemum1 Wed 18-Jan-12 20:56:54

My Ds is very tall for his age and did'nt walk until 16 months. We thought it would never happen. Now its hard to remember a time when he did'nt x

Annobel Wed 18-Jan-12 21:03:05

One of my GSs was quite late walking, compared with his sister and cousins. But I was sure he was, quite simply, satisfied with his means of locomotion - hands and knees, hands and feet, bum-shuffle. He managed to get to the top of the slide in the garden, so why bother walking? He is a very tall 7-year-old now.

Annika Wed 18-Jan-12 21:12:06

Here is an up-date to my first comment put here on the 23rd dec. GS is now taking up to three steps at a time . I knew he could do it !grin

Annobel Wed 18-Jan-12 21:42:34

Cheers for your GS!

glammanana Wed 18-Jan-12 21:46:56

Annika You will be running around after him this time next week,well done DGS.xx

crimson Wed 18-Jan-12 21:47:25

He'll be kicking a football next week! Great stuff. smile