Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is this a scam

(18 Posts)
Annika Wed 11-Jan-12 11:02:45

ArthurDent I am going to have a look at tellows and see what I can find out, we get a lot of odd phone calls and we are ex directory !

nanachrissy Wed 11-Jan-12 10:55:53

MaggieP that e mail scam has just happened to my friend, who warned me just in time.

MaggieP Wed 11-Jan-12 10:30:53

Another scam we heard about from NZ friends very recently and then the same day we received spoof e mails. We were pre warned but friends were not and got a viral worm, not sure quite what it does but:
Any e mail sent to you from a friend, which just has in larger type or blue colour saying ". Click here to view my photos/videos
Then nothing else.
DON'T open, your friends addresses have been "got at"
This has happened more than once to us and other friends and family.

ArthurDent Fri 06-Jan-12 10:35:34

Yesterday I got a automated call. It was the same call like Annikas.
First I was very scared, but I didn't accept the call. I called my whole family and everything was ok.
When I googled the phone number and found this forum and www.tellows.co.uk/ which seems to be a very helpful site to find out who is calling. It also helps you to find out the origin of the phone call.

JessM Thu 05-Jan-12 10:45:08

There is also a spam thing that looks like a friend recommending something..
"try this" and then a link.
NEVER click.

MaggieP Thu 05-Jan-12 10:35:39

Annika, we had e mails from relatives and friends saying they needed urgent help as stuck abroad, no money to pay hotel bills, hotel manager holding them "hostage" until payment arrives etc etc.
These were all spoofs and e mail addresses had been obviously borrowed.
So beware that one too.
When we contacted our family and friends they were not abroad and they then may need to change their e mail address and database.

Elegran Wed 04-Jan-12 22:14:26

phoenix The undelivered parcel one was fixed in 2005 and the people doing it fined. but the emails about it are still circulating, particularly around Christmas when people get anxious about parcels. The post office refers anyone asking about it to a site which explains it all.

JessM Wed 04-Jan-12 21:11:42

How tedious that they are still calling. it is probably a blooming machine.

jingl Wed 04-Jan-12 21:01:19

I think that one I linked to sounds a bit dodgy actually - given the comments on Facebook! www.facebook.com/pages/08000MumDad-Reverse-Charge-Calls-To-Mobiles/152238444815449

jingl Wed 04-Jan-12 20:56:22

That's a scam.

I'd bet my bottom dollar!

Annika Wed 04-Jan-12 20:55:18

Just had a 4th call. The number comes up as with held. You dont get to speak to anyone its an automated voice the call goes something like this..
A member of your family needs you to accept a reverse charge call ,( this is where a name is added but its hard to be sure what name it is as it sounds muffled) Elsa needs to speak to you urgently, press the hash key...... its at that stage where I have hung up.
We have no Elsa in our family the only Elsa I know was the lion in Born Free ! hmm

jingl Wed 04-Jan-12 20:44:32

Just googled and found this service (which sounds quite good actually) www.08000mumdad.co.uk/HowDoesItWork.aspx

On that one the caller has to record his or her name which is relayed to the person being called.

JessM Wed 04-Jan-12 20:31:34

Gosh it is a long time since I took a reverse charged call, but didn't they used to tell you the name of the person who was calling? Are there actually telephone operators still in existence???

bikergran Wed 04-Jan-12 20:07:48

hmm bit difficult this one!! as I have had two phonecalls over the yrs both from my daughter and being asked to accept the call..although they didnt say it was an emergency and I did accpet the calls which were genuine.and it ws my daughter rining me ...I remember they did cost me a certain amount of money that ws pretty high....but they were not scam phone calls they were genuine.......

jingl Wed 04-Jan-12 20:05:39

Thank you for the warning Annika. They get very clever with it, don't they?!

Greatnan Wed 04-Jan-12 19:39:58

My daughter fell for the one telling her she had won a prize but had to ring a premium rate number, which kept her on line for at least ten minutes. She had won a prize - a ball point pen.

Anne58 Wed 04-Jan-12 19:37:07

Sounds like one to me, if you had returned the call, my bet is that it would have been a premium rate number registered in Belize.

There was a similar one a while back about undelivered parcels, I will dig it out when I am in the office (it wasn't the usual UPS/DHL email one)

Annika Wed 04-Jan-12 19:31:37

Just had three calls on my home phone asking me to accept a reverse call from a member of my family, I was told the call was an emergency. I did not accept the call, but I rang all of my family and they are allsafe at home so was the call a scam.? Just be aware if anyone of you out there receives such a call. You will be prompted to press keys on your phone to accept the reverse call