Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

neighbour problem

(12 Posts)
Zephrine Fri 10-Feb-12 12:48:39

The man who has bought the house next door to me has gutted it, taken out all walls, removed all plaster and is changing the entire layout. He is being very friendly and has shown us what he is doing and the plans for what he is going to do. Moving external door, changing windows and building a bay on. Also he plans to demolish the small garage that runs along our boundary and erect a studio/bedsit with a garage on the end of it which will be much longer and higher than the present garage. He hasn't applied for any kind of permission, planning or building regs. I am in a dilemma about what to do - any ideas?

absentgrana Fri 10-Feb-12 12:53:09

Zephrine I should have thought he would have to have planning permission for such extensive changes. Certainly the studio bedsit is a change of use. Perhaps he is simply not aware that you cannot just do what you like to change a property even when you own it. As he's friendly, I should ask him about planning permission and insist that he get whatever is legally required.

glassortwo Fri 10-Feb-12 12:54:12

I would check if he needs any planning permission, your local authority will have details on their web site and give detailed requirements for planning permission/building regulations.
I think as the building is higher and longer than original he should have had some form of planning consent and you should have been asked if you had any objections. Worth checking and getting your facts right before you approach him.

Zephrine Fri 10-Feb-12 13:05:48

He definitely does need both types of permission. He has put steel beams in to support where he has taken walls out and he should have calculations to show that they are big enough. (Mr Z. is a structural engineer) You need planning permission to change windows at the front of the house and you certainly need it to put a new 30' -40' long building in the front garden. He is an architect so he knows the rules. We don't have to much of a problem with the plans that he has shown us but if is is not being monitored he could change them without telling us. If we go to the planning department we could be setting up a bad relationship with our new neighbour. sad

jeni Fri 10-Feb-12 13:12:25

My dd had same problem. She saw on councils that according to the neighbour she had agreed it was ok! She hadn't! Neighbour the other side complained a d they have now applied for retrospective planning permission.

absentgrana Fri 10-Feb-12 13:30:44

•Zephrine* Have you mentioned to him that he should apply for the appropriate permissions? If you have and he's ignored you, then I think you should go to/telephone the appropriate council department and ask for their advice.

susiecb Fri 10-Feb-12 13:31:40

What a silly man the council can make him take it all down again and if you dont tell them about it someone else will.

glammanana Fri 10-Feb-12 13:37:46

Zephrine Would the neighbour not need permission for the re-routing of the gas and electric and water services as well,you are also looking at the foundations being deep enough to support the building,would that affect your garden boundary line in any way. You can ring your planning dept and ask if planning has been applied for and they will tell you,they will also have a copy of the plans if he has summitted them and you are allowed to see them.I would tactfully ask your neighbour if he has applied for planning and tell him you have not received any notification re any objections as yet,that way he will be aware that you know the procedure required and he may have second thoughts,fingers crossed for you.

Zephrine Fri 10-Feb-12 15:27:35

Thanks Glamma we have checked on line and know that he has not made an application, I think perhaps a disingenuous " oh we haven't recieved anything from planning yet" might be the best way to go. I really don't want to fall out with him but then I don't want a eyesore either smile

Seventimesfive Fri 10-Feb-12 15:47:51

That sounds the most tactful way to go Zephrine. Good luck!

Learnergran Sun 12-Feb-12 11:25:41

Yes, good luck Zephrine, it will be important not to fall out with a new neighbour, but then it is in his own interest as much as yours. Presumably what he is doing is "adding value" as we daytime TV addicts say, and it won't be much use to him if he can't sell it on, as he can't without all the correct planning consents.

Marjgran Sun 12-Feb-12 16:59:50

is the house attached in any way to yours? we are in a semi, our longstanding good but tricky neighbour dug out a basement room without building regs. We notified building inspectors who said they had a right to check, that they would not tell who had told them of the significant works being done, they stopped the job and made the builders make significant strengthening alterations. However, they said enough for neighbour to know it was likely to be us. Neighbour very angry with us but at least our house is less likely to crack! But now we have to weather the storm..................