Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Water Confidence

(6 Posts)
Hankipanki Mon 20-Feb-12 11:04:50

Soon after my gd was born I asked dd and sil if I could take her to the baths to play and gain confidence in the water. I love swiming. They said that this was something her dad wanted to do with her. I understand this but she is almost 3 and it has not happened. I have mentioned it from time to time and dd says dad will get round to it - but when? There are a lot of activities for toddlers at our local pool and I am thinking should I just take her and tell parents after. What do other grans think? I do have a fairly free hand in choosing what we do when I am caring for her.

yogagran Mon 20-Feb-12 11:38:28

Next time you are due to collect her you could ask if she could have her swimming things with her as you have an outing to the pool planned - see how that goes down.
I think that it's asking for trouble to actually take her without telling her mother first

Zephrine Mon 20-Feb-12 11:39:39

This is really difficult, you can learn to swim at any age but the earlier you do it the better. Water confidence usually comes quite easily to young children but by two or three they can have developed some fear of the water. There are things that you can do at home to start to develop water confidence, lying on tummy in the bath and blowing bubbles in the water, standing under the shower etc. but only you know how her parents would react to you taken her after they had said they wanted to do it themselves. Could you have a quiet word with your daughter and explain gently that time is passing. Perhaps it might initiate action from them or you might get their blessing.

whatisamashedupphrase Mon 20-Feb-12 11:55:20

I think you need to keep asking them, and get slightly stroppy if they just put it off.

Hankipanki Mon 20-Feb-12 12:27:54

Thanks for your responses. She is happy playing with water so I don't think she would have any fears going to the pool. She likes paddling in the sea with her whellies on so I don 't feel the pool will phase her. It is just her parents I don't want to interfere but this is really worrying me. They make all the right noises and do not do anything about it. I am more than willing to take her I have even bought her a bathing costume which has not been used. I am not going to attempt to teach her to swim I will leave that to the professionals but we could have a lot of fun playing in the water which would ensure that when the time comes she is ready to learn. What is there problem with that.

I am now going to practice getting stroppy.

Zephrine Mon 20-Feb-12 12:33:41

Could you suggest that you all make an outing to the pool at the weekend, perhaps if they had a fixed date they might go.