Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Urgent moth advice needed please

(10 Posts)
JessM Thu 15-Mar-12 21:01:45

how interesting!

eGJ Thu 15-Mar-12 20:32:06

Have you tried looking at www.historyonics.com They supply pherenome traps, spray and they really work. There are different traps for the different moths. The spray works on carpets superbly and used them too in cupboards containing priceless, un replaceable garments. This firm supplies museums too sewsilver

MarneyB Thu 15-Mar-12 09:19:37

Yes, they work for clothes moths. I bought the original ones in a hardware store, but you can buy them online. I buy the refills on line. Since they work by interrupting the breeding cycle, they won't affect the larvae. As you say, you've got to kill these somehow, and then use the pheromone traps for prevention.

JessM Wed 14-Mar-12 18:53:49

Do pheromone work with clothes moths? I have only heard of them being used for moths that attack apples. Where can you get ones for clothes moths and what do you do with them once you have bought them please?
There are 2 problems here
One is the adult moths flying into your cupboard and laying eggs. I think the scented things probably just sort of put the fliers off the scent of wool. Run interference. Certainly won't kill em.
When the eggs hatch the tiny caterpillars start chomping. Murder is only answer then. Freezer would do it. As would dry cleaning or, probably washing.

MarneyB Wed 14-Mar-12 09:55:47

I've just seen your post, so hope this isn't too late. I've had a huge moth problem. I find the best solution is to keep all sweaters, especially cashmere in breathable zip up bags. I buy mine from Brora. I wash the sweaters often. But my best tip is to use pheromone traps. They are sort of plastic triangular holders with pheromone strips inside, which attract the male moths and interrupt the breeding cycle. You can get them online. So far, so good after a year!

jack Tue 21-Feb-12 19:40:47

Lakeland sells cedar wood balls, coat hanger hooks etc. in a bumper pack (available on-line I imagine) and if you dot them round your clothes' cupboards and other vulnerable areas they do seem to work. Having said that, I am now terrified that my lovely new (and rather expensive) cashmere cardigan will become a victim if I don't put some cedar wood on the hanger asap. Whoops! Didn't mean to re-open the cardigan discussion. But I did love all the comments. Good luck moth warriors. Don't let the bxxxxxx get you down!

Sewsilver Tue 21-Feb-12 15:35:29

Thanks Jeni and absent, moths now engulfed in lavender and in bags in freezer. Hope that works. Now to find nozzle for vacuum cleaner and the energy to use it. Bad cold enervating.

absentgrana Tue 21-Feb-12 09:04:32

Freeze the clothes. Put sweaters into plastic bags and then leave in an unheated garage or shed if the weather's freezing or wedge them into your freezer overnight. Run the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner around drawers and inside the wardrobe to suck up any stray clothes moth larvae that have avoided freezing.

jeni Mon 20-Feb-12 20:38:29

No I've had the same problem. I'm trying lavender at the moment.

Sewsilver Mon 20-Feb-12 20:31:46

Help!! Moths are chomping and chewing their way through all my sweaters despite large quantities of cedar wood blocks in the cupboards. Have refreshed blocks with cedar oil but it hasn't helped.Hate the smell of moth balls and DH allergic to them. Moths have particularly enjoyed my new Christmas cashmere jumper ( weep) not yet worn . Has any Gran found a solution ?