Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Children's clothes

(12 Posts)
netgran Sat 07-Apr-12 17:40:07

Thanks for the info I will take a look on line - amazing what's out there that you don't know about

glammanana Sat 07-Apr-12 14:52:00

netgran You can always pick up buggies etc for emergencies from "Freecycle" you will have a local group in your area just go on line and have a look for what is offered in your area or you can advertise that you are looking for a buggie.Good Luck.

netgran Sat 07-Apr-12 14:13:44

Thanks Sbagran. I will certainly look at that option following the NCT sale as I don't expect to sell everything. I am also looking to buy a single buggy to keep in the car for emergencies - so if I don't pick one up at the sale I will try on line.

Sbagran Sat 07-Apr-12 13:48:39

Speaking from the opposite angle netgran I have actually BOUGHT bundles of children's clothing from Ebay and can honestly say I have never experienced any problems. Feedback is left by the buyer and seller so there is a responsibility for the seller to be honest in description and for the buyer not to mess the seller about! I keep an emergency box of clothing (4 grandchildren = four sizes!)so that should we have the grandchildren dumped on us at short notice (who knows when there could be an emergency) we know we can cope! I even have a double buggy and bedding!

I appreciate that you understandably want to get some cash for them but if you ever just want them to go to a good home there are usually local groups that take clothing etc out to Eastern Europe where the people are so very poor and desperate. Through a local charity we actually support a family of five out in Moldova and every Christmas we send (by lorry) a box of clothing - a bag for each family member. I buy it from Ebay and charity shops as I can get more for my money and the family get more. Worth looking into if you aren't concerned about getting cash and everything is so very much appreciated it makes it a very rewarding task!

netgran Sat 07-Apr-12 12:38:46

Thanks everyone for the advise. Sorry I have only just got back on on this thread - must pick up speed in future! Saw an advert for a local NCT sale later this month am going to give it a try. Then ebay here I come.......

goldengirl Fri 23-Mar-12 09:21:48

A local National Childbirth Trust group might give you the opportunity to sell them on.

Carol Fri 23-Mar-12 07:18:20

Separate, local site Jess. My daughter has put things like baby swing and Jumperoo on there for local collection, and seems to be able to pass on good quality baby equipment more easily than on Ebay.

Greatnan Fri 23-Mar-12 07:13:18

I don't think Preloved has anything to do with ebay - it is a commercial site where you pay for adverts, but you can restrict them to your own locality.I found a keyboard for my gd on it.

JessM Fri 23-Mar-12 06:04:30

pre-loved is a slightly queasy making new way of saying "nearly new" smile Is it a separate site Carol or an official category on ebay ?

Libradi Fri 23-Mar-12 05:25:36

Welcome netgran. As Carol says Ebay is a good way of selling your grandsons clothes, I don't know anything about Pre-loved. My daughter also buys and sells on facebook, I would imagine most towns have groups set up, ours is under name of the town then Items for Sale. We also have a few separate groups with children's items for sale. This can work well as there is usually no postage or ebay fees, pick up only.

Carol Thu 22-Mar-12 12:08:09

Welcome netgran. Bundles on Ebay and Pre-loved seem to bring results. My daughter puts a bundle of new and nearly new same size/same gender clothes together and photographs them, then sells them for a reasonable sum so she can treat her children.

netgran Thu 22-Mar-12 12:02:49

Hi - I have just joined the site as sat here in the middle of a pile of new/nearly new items of my grandsons clothes - lots of which still have the labels attached as never been worn. I do give a lot to charity shops but would like to sell these and put the money into his savings account as a lot were kind presents from relatives and friends. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.