Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dreamy GD

(13 Posts)
Daisyanswerdo Thu 26-Apr-12 15:00:28

Well, I'm back and we all survived. My GD is much better now at dressing herself, and I managed to get them both up, dressed, breakfasted, tooth-cleaned, hair-brushed, shod, coated, back-packed and in the car in time for school. The big drama was on Monday. GD came back after Maypole practice, fired up with enthusiasm and determined to make/buy her own maypole! She went on and on about how to do this and was deaf to any mention of any other subject! I seem to remember my own DD with similar obsessions, and maybe I myself at that age! Thanks again for your interest and suggestions.

Burgio Thu 26-Apr-12 13:57:36

And I thought it was just my twin grand children. A boy and a girl aged 7 and they are both impossible when it comes to getting dressed and undressed⏪��

Daisyanswerdo Sun 22-Apr-12 11:23:34

grin glammanana

glammanana Sat 21-Apr-12 22:42:21

Daisy I would also just get her dressed myself and then maybe she will get to grips with things the next day.Once or twice it has been known for my GD to still be eating her toast when she is getting in the back of the car on the way to school,it takes her from 7.30am to eat weetabix and two slices of toast she gets picked up at 8.40 and is still eating.

glassortwo Sat 21-Apr-12 22:31:15

yoga I am going to threaten that grin

imjingl Sat 21-Apr-12 22:23:20

Good luck Daisyanswerdo! grin

Let us know how you get on.

Daisyanswerdo Sat 21-Apr-12 21:28:58

Thank you all. I'm inclined to agree with iamjingl that the best way is to just start getting her dressed - I can imagine her then getting very indignant and insisting on doing it herself, just to be contrary! We'll see - I will report back later.

yogagran Thu 19-Apr-12 21:02:16

There was just one occasion when I got so desperate with my DD (aged about 7 or 8 as I remember) that she actually got taken to school in her nightie. I had cajoled, threatened, persuaded, bribed and firmly requested on several previous days and one day I carried out my threat. Never again did she dawdle on getting ready for school - a bit drastic but it worked grin
Luckily she doesn't remember that day

Humbertbear Thu 19-Apr-12 20:36:40

We find setting a timer works for bringing a sense of urgency. Good luck!

Anagram Thu 19-Apr-12 20:29:54

I hate to admit it, but iamjingl is probably right! (Hate to admit it only because I would have loved to have found a solution!)
One of my twin GDs is the same - no sense of urgency can be distilled in her, while the other one just gets on with it. I have found the easiest thing is to sit her on my knee (after knicks on) and at least put socks, shoes, vest etc on. She'll usually put the pinafore dress on at the last moment...

iamjingl Thu 19-Apr-12 20:04:42

I think it would probably be easiest for you if you actually put the clothes on her.

It's only for a week. Just take the easiest route.

Maniac Thu 19-Apr-12 19:59:49

When my GS was going through that stage I used a stopwatch and made a game of timing how long it took to e.g.put on shoes and socks . let him hold the stopwatch or put it .where they can see it .Maybe you have a pinger-timer which can be set for say 5 mins.Try to improve on the previous day -and give lots of praise when they do.

Best of luck

Daisyanswerdo Thu 19-Apr-12 18:13:59

I've been asked to hold the fort next week with my 2 GC, girl aged 8 and boy 5. My GD is a dreamer; last time I was there, when I asked them both to get dressed, five minutes later she was sitting on the floor, still in her nighty, one sock on, reading a book. This would be ok if they didn't have to go to school. I really do not want to get heavy with her but I do have to get her to school on time, dressed and breakfasted! My approach is to say 'Earth to G---, are you receiving me, over!' and if that works, fine, but if not, what's the next best thing? It's tempting to say 'Right, whatever state you're in in 5 minutes time, that's how you'll go to school' but obviously that's not on. My GS is fine, gets himself dressed and even finds his sister's clothes and gives them to her! Has anyone a tried and tested method of encouraging dreamers into action? I would be grateful!