Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Autism

(46 Posts)
GrandmaLyn Sat 07-Jul-12 01:20:14

Midwives were given a remit to only promote breast feeding. They were not supposed to offer advice on bottle feeding. New borns were subjected to dehydration because of this. Has this caused a rise in autism and brain damage. My daughter was told that her baby could survive on a ml of fluid Could you?

nanaej Mon 09-Jul-12 19:02:41

My DGS2 recently had a snip under his tongue to release tongue tie so he could suckle more easily. Apparently this can be hereditary so maybe DD1 is the same which is why she never enjoyed BF.. easier to take milk from a bottle.

Grossi Tue 10-Jul-12 07:41:01

I think it must be very difficult to be a midwife and to have to be seen to have the "right" attitude to breastfeeding.

While promoting the benefits of breastfeeding midwives have to make sure that women who can't or won't are not made to feel bad. Blaming them for the rise in autism is a step too far.

I had lovely midwives with my first three children, but if I had had my fourth child first, I might never have breastfed.

Bags Tue 10-Jul-12 08:01:32

I agree with jeni about the supposed original comment from the midwife. Why don't people just dismiss such obviously arrant nonsense as... well.... bullshit arrant nonsense?

[flounces off mentally verbalising "oh, for goodness' sake!"]

whenim64 Tue 10-Jul-12 08:41:01

I wonder whether the OP's daughter was told that babies can survive on 1 ml of fluid an hour? When my premature grandaughters were in special care, they were fed by breast milk through a tube during the first few weeks, until they could suck. The 2 lb baby was being given 2.1/2 mls every 2 hours and it crept up over a few days to 5 mls every 2 hours, which seems a minute amount, but the nurses have a formula to calculate how many mls for the weight of the baby will put on weight.

After a month, a 10 ml syringe of breast milk was pushed down the tube into their tiny stomachs, following each attempt at feeding, until they were taking expressed milk from a bottle every 3 hours. By that time, the milk was donated - daughter ferrying up and down to hospital 3 times a day had put the kibosh on her attempts to keep her breast milk flowing, despite GP's help. They have thrived, though smile

Bags Tue 10-Jul-12 09:09:26

when, love your success story! smile

nanaej Tue 10-Jul-12 19:09:45

In the end the important thing is to have happy healthy babies and parents! If it is stressful to BF for whatever reason then that may counteract the benefit of breast milk. Equally to make a mum feel guilty for choosing to formula feed is not helpful either. If the child is making healthy progress surely that's the important thing? It's the same with natural / CS /pain relief labour & deliveries! Hate the competitiveness and 'I'm right you're wrong' attitude of some zealous lobby groups.

Ella46 Tue 10-Jul-12 19:16:25

Well said nanaej

jeni Tue 10-Jul-12 19:44:44

Hear hear!

GrandmaLyn Tue 10-Jul-12 23:55:43

There is a court case at present, which is why I posed the question. A child was born, mother didn't want to breast feed and was denied formula. Baby was dehydrated and suffered huge brain damage. My granddaughter was denied any fluid but the mililitres my daughter could express for three days. I think boiled water would have sufficed. She phoned me saying that all she wanted was to feed her distressed baby but the midwives wouldn't recommend anything but breast. I have also heard this from mothers who had mastitis and abcesses, with crusted nipples, so that breastfeeding is extremely painful. Anyway I said I was on my way and would buy orgainic milk and bottles. Poor baby gulped it down. Sent the parents to bed. My granddaughter is seven and autistic. Three days without fluid?

GrandmaLyn Wed 11-Jul-12 00:21:31

I appreciate all your comments. Thank you. However, I will wait for the outcome of the trial. I am on a mission, even though my granddaughter will never be cured. There must be statisics available. If not in this country then I'll go to the Freedom of Infrmation in America.

nightowl Wed 11-Jul-12 00:46:34

GrandmaLyn I'm so sorry to hear about your granddaughter, this must be very stressful for you and your daughter. I hope my comments did not come across as flippant but I genuinely didn't understand your first post. I do hope you and your family can obtain some resolution to this and I send your granddaughter all good wishes. It is very hard when something goes wrong to always have the thought that something could have been done to prevent it.
flowers to you all and ((hugs))

Bags Wed 11-Jul-12 06:25:55

There is only colostrum for the first few days if you breastfeed. I have heard it said before that babies don't need much for that time "until the milk comes in".

Bags Wed 11-Jul-12 06:37:20

My sympathies for your troubles too, GrandmaLyn. I thought autism was at least partly attributable to inheritable genes? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

In any case, I hope your GD get the support she needs.

JessM Wed 11-Jul-12 07:11:32

This must be a painful time for you grandmalyn and perhaps not helpful for us on GN to speculate further. I hope the court case is resolved without too much delay.

Butternut Wed 11-Jul-12 07:49:53

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with the court case, grandmalyn. Do keep in touch if you can. All the best.

Mishap Wed 11-Jul-12 09:00:18

Grandma Lyn - this is very perplexing - I have never heard anything like this.

You say that your D was "denied formula" - was she in hospital and they refused to give it to her? If she was at home, then she is free to feed her child whatever she wishes; as indeed you did when you arrived. There is no evidence that dehydration (if indeed this occurred) has a causal link with autism. babies do amazingly well on very little fluid in the first few days, just consuming colostrum, and they seem to be designed to do this.

It is always hugely distressing when a child develops or is born with a disability or health problem and we all seek answers - why has my child got this disorder? Who is to blame? But sometimes we cannot answer these questions and I feel sad that you and your family are expending emotion and energy (not to say money) on pursuing a court case, when there is no evidence to make the connection that you are suggesting. Medical experts on both sides will dredge up statistics and demand huge fees and no-one will win - except the lawyers.

I know how painful it is, but maybe it might be easier on you all if you sought help to come to terms with the sad illness that your GD is suffering from - litigation is a cruel master - very few people emerge from it unscarred. I hate to think of you all going through this to no avail. I am not sure what outcome you are seeking - whatever it is it may not bring the satisfaction you are all hoping for.

I do hope that the court case is resolved speedily so that you can all get on with your lives, and send all sympathy. I have an autistic nephew and spend a lot of time supporting my sister, so I do understand the problems.

Mamie Wed 11-Jul-12 09:15:58

I am still not completely clear from your post, Grandma Lyn that it is your own family who are pursuing the court case? If it is, then apologies and I join others in wishing you a speedy resolution. If it isn't, then I would echo Mishap's advice, that people can waste a lot of time and emotion searching for a cause or a cure, when the best focus for their effort is in getting the best possible provision / therapy for the child. I say this as someone who spent many years working with disabled children and their families and as the grandparent of a child on the autistic spectrum.

Annobel Wed 11-Jul-12 09:47:08

You quote mums with mastitis and abscesses having to breastfeed. I did have this affliction when I was feeding DS2 and I assure you that the best remedy, no matter how painful is to relieve the pressure from the engorged breast by feeding the baby. The relief is tremendous.

Greatnan Wed 11-Jul-12 09:56:05

There was not the slightest doubt that my daughter had been severely injured by a negligent surgeon - he admitted liability (although it took him 17 months). The only point at issue was the extent of her disabilities,and it still took seven very stressful years to get the MDU to agree a settlement, just before the due date for the case to go to court.
My daughter did not have a choice about pursuing the case, as she lost her business, her home and was left with huge debts as a result of the botched operation.
She was covered by a 'no win-no fee' insurance, but these companies will not take your case on unless they consider you have more than a 70% chance of success. If you cannot get this kind of cover, legal aid is not available in most cases.
There is so little, if any, evidence of a link between dehydration and autism I really think it would be pointless to undertake such an expensive and stressful procedure. The claim would also need to be within the time limit - normally three years, but it can be later if it was not reasonable to expect the patient to know about the damage until later.
I can only agree that the best course in this case is to concentrate on getting all available help for the child.

GrandmaLyn Wed 11-Jul-12 23:34:38

It is not our court case but, after reading the allegations of the mother concerned, I thought there may be a corellation between dehydration and some sorts of learning difficulties or brain damage. That's all. I thank you all for your comments.