Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Survey of the stretched generation

(90 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 11-Jul-12 08:54:39

Does the stretched generation exist? Are you part of it? We're running a survey to find out what pressures are facing women over 50 and what we'd most like to kick up a fuss about wink

Please help by taking 5 minutes to fill in some answers here https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/W225R5W
It would be useful to have as many contributors as possible, no matter what your views, and you could win a £50 Amazon voucher if your username is drawn out of a hat.

YellowRose Mon 30-Jul-12 15:05:38

I did it! I WON £50 Amazon voucher and have spent £20 of it already!!!! ;o))) thank you Geraldine and everyone at Gransnet. xx

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 30-Jul-12 11:10:32

Thanks so much to everyone that contributed. If anyone has any more they'd like to say, we had a journalist request who'd like to speak to someone who's caring for their parent and their grandchildren - if you would like to take part you can read more here: www.gransnet.com/forums/media_non_member_requests/1193080-Are-you-caring-for-a-parent-AND-your-grandchildren-For-newspaper-fee-available

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 26-Jul-12 15:32:03

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to our stretched generation survey.

YellowRose was the gransnetter who came out of the hat for the £50 Amazon voucher. We'll be in touch with details.

Solitaire Tue 24-Jul-12 15:19:38

Oh dear, I've just got this mail because I've been so busy caring for my 93 year old Aunt with Dementia, my 91 year old father and my son and daughter who are both ill. I'm sure I could have contributed to the survey!! My 8 year old grandson is now starting his 6 week school holiday so will be with me most days...and nights, while daddy works.
I 'retired' last year from 20+ years in Child Protection. Let me back to work please!

kelpie Fri 20-Jul-12 10:05:07

I too felt 'unstretched' whilst completing survey, but then my grandchildren live on other side of the world and I rarely have the opportunity to be actively involved and my 'caring for elderly parents days 'are over.

lindyclinda Fri 20-Jul-12 01:14:29

Done mine at last

marigold1 Thu 19-Jul-12 20:55:18

Just found this survey, and have done it, it is amazing how many of us don't have family nearby, I have daughter and son living away, and youngest daughter living an hour or so away, so we see her family more often which is lovely, we all keep in touch and meet up when we can.
While I'm slightly worried about the future, I intend to be forever Optomistic, what will be will be!

kittylester Wed 18-Jul-12 17:43:54

I remember those days granjura and my husband had just persuaded me that it was sensible to buy a house costing £20,000 rather than one at £15,000 - scary times!

ollibee Wed 18-Jul-12 15:21:01

Done - but like Annobel, I live too far from family to help regularly

Oldgreymare Wed 18-Jul-12 12:40:07

Just done, interesting hmm

glassortwo Wed 18-Jul-12 12:21:43

Thanks josie smile

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Jul-12 12:13:08

Hi glass, all received this end, thanks for filling it out!

Still a few more days to get your answers in, thanks so much for your help so far!

granjura Tue 17-Jul-12 16:15:08

We certainly felt a lot more stretched when we were younger. I remember the days when we bought a house in the mid 70s at the top of our means- and then the mortgage rate went up to 19.5% - then we were stretched!

janepearce6 Mon 16-Jul-12 17:24:45

No, not too busy. A little concerned, not about my future, but certainly the children's and grandchildren's future. Certainly, not happy as can be because now that I am rather older, the future doesn't look bright for me as well because of possible cuts and the problems with the NHS - it's all rather personal and selfish!

Grandmanorm Mon 16-Jul-12 13:57:14

Oops, I did it a few days ago but didn't post that on here. Now duly posted!!!!! (Just to prove I am not a lurker ;-))

2coolproudy Mon 16-Jul-12 13:37:47

done smile

ummlilia Mon 16-Jul-12 13:03:43

ha...first time in years I have been too young to take part in something....(47 and a half..) almost feel left out..!! wink

glassortwo Mon 16-Jul-12 10:58:13

GNHQ I filled mine in on DH I Pad while we were away, but it seemed to vanish from screen and I was not directed back to home page so would you check that have you received it?

ginny3 Sun 15-Jul-12 12:41:10

done mine. just read a few of the posts. isnt it funny how we feel so guilty if we spend time on ourselves! i haven't had to do a great deal of helping with grandchildren so far but elder DD going to uni in september so i will be helping out a lot more. quite looking forward to it, even though i will have less me time. and its only three years, im sure they will fly by.

goldengirl Sat 14-Jul-12 09:54:42

In some ways I wish I could just sit back and let the world go by but it's not in my psyche. I'm using retirement to make the most of opportunities that come my way but on my terms; I'm not beholden to anyone unless I make a commitment to do something which of course I honour. I like to meet people and I need a focus and to feel useful in the wider community - as well as keeping my brain in gear!

Greatnan Fri 13-Jul-12 20:43:47

No, I don't feel any guilt at all. I have had enough of feeling guilty and now I am just going to enjoy my retirement.

crimson Fri 13-Jul-12 19:59:20

ClaraB; most of my neighbours are retired as are the majority of the people I deal with at work and I have to say that I find it difficult sometimes to maintain the smile on hearing of their latest holiday with a 'have a nice time'.

Ella46 Fri 13-Jul-12 19:39:14

I'm still fighting guilt feelings after 6 years of retirement! I worked my socks off before and I love doing nothing as often as I like, so why do I still feel as though I should be rushing about?

artygran Fri 13-Jul-12 19:32:55

I have also filled it in, but, like Harrigran and others, it made me wonder whether, apart from picking GS up from school a couple of days a week and having him ditto days a week during the holidays, I should be doing something more constructive with my time than pursuing hobbies and generally pottering about. Truth is, I had my fill of working, up to my retirement, and I don't particularly want to volunteer for anything at the moment, but I do feel quite guilty sometimes when I hear about what other people do after they have retired. Anyone else feel like that, or is it just me?

harrigran Fri 13-Jul-12 18:10:39

Filled it in but brought home to me how little I actually do.