Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Nominate for a special Gransnet Award

(113 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 17-Jul-12 15:47:53

We're delighted to be supporting the Roses, a series of awards for portrayal of older people's issues in the media. I'm going to be chairing the judges (you can find out about more about the awards here) and we're thrilled that there's going to be a special award, nominated and voted for by gransnetters, for the best older person's character in film and television drama.

So add your thoughts here. And you can nominate in other categories too - details here.

Anagram Tue 17-Jul-12 20:24:34

Anne Reid would be my nomination. She's 77 and has been in tv and film roles too numerous to mention, is always convincing in whatever role she plays and has a wicked sense of humour!

crimson Tue 17-Jul-12 21:01:29

Remember that film she was in where she had it off [for want of a better word] with Daniel Craig [swoon].

numberplease Tue 17-Jul-12 21:02:14

June Brown (Dot Cotton), I think she`s brilliant.

harrigran Tue 17-Jul-12 22:49:36

Maggie Smith in Downton Abbey and numerous other roles.

susiecb Wed 18-Jul-12 08:47:14

June Whitfield in Ab fab for me!

AlisonMA Wed 18-Jul-12 10:18:00

Bill Nighy for absolutely everything he does, TV, films, radio all brilliant but if I have to nominate something specific, Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, they were all brilliant! It was very special to us having not long before been to India.

NemoNan Wed 18-Jul-12 12:13:56

I agree with a lot of these - great actors and actresses - but I'm a bit confused. Are we voting for the character or the person that plays them? confused

purplehairstreak Wed 18-Jul-12 12:18:23

Julie Walters. Although she wasn't so old when she portrayed the ancient doddery Mrs. Overall, she's now embraced her age and has gone grey, wears specs etc. And she did a pretty robust portrayal of Mo Mowlam too.

Anagram Wed 18-Jul-12 12:23:55

I agree, NemoNan - we do seem to have gone a bit off-track! It seems as though we're supposed to be voting for an 'older person's character'. How old? confused

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Jul-12 12:35:41

Just to clear up any confusion - it's voting for the character's representation in the film.

Also, please note the film has to be released in the last year - that is, from Sept 1 2011 to present. Keep your votes coming in, fascinating to hear your ideas!

JessM Wed 18-Jul-12 12:44:20

Pause while we retreat, chins in hands, pondering: What portrayals of older people can we think of in any films in the last year...? Apart from the obvious BEMH

Anagram Wed 18-Jul-12 13:40:06

hmm In GNHQ's first post it stated film and television drama!

Anagram Wed 18-Jul-12 13:43:47

Right, having actually looked at the details (ahem!), this is what it says:

7. Best older person’s character in a film, TV or radio drama (Gransnet special award, voted on by the readers of Gransnet)

So it includes radio as well! But still only since September 2011 confused

JessM Wed 18-Jul-12 14:10:07

In which case I am still plugging: Judy Parfitt in Call the Midwife. Vote for Judy, Vote for Judy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Parfitt

Annika Wed 18-Jul-12 14:16:36

Roy Hudd I have seen him on stage, he is very funny and the 'News Hudd Lines' on the radio was some thing not to be missed.
He was in 'One Foot In The Grave' , an undertaker in 'Corrie', he played Archie Shuttleworth, he was an old soldier in 'Call The Midwife' he has also been in 'New Tricks' and 'Ashes to Ashes' and much much more.
Now please tell me what William Roache AKA Ken Barlow has done on that scale, its impossible to see where William Roache stops and Ken Barlow character starts it all sounds and looks the same !

Anagram Wed 18-Jul-12 15:15:19

Another quote from the 'Rules':

'To qualify, nominations must have first appeared in the media after 1 September 2011.'

I presume that refers to the character, otherwise we're going to be well and truly stumped! grin

glammanana Wed 18-Jul-12 15:47:09

Maggie Smith for Downton Abbey and Julie Walsh for everything she has done.

Anagram Wed 18-Jul-12 15:52:51

Can't have anyone from Downton, glamma because it started pre-September 2011. sad

AlisonMA Wed 18-Jul-12 16:02:23

I think Call the Midwife was before that too. When was Best Exotic Marigold Hotel? Must be close

JessM Wed 18-Jul-12 16:38:50

C t M and BEMH are both within the last year.

Leroy Gibbs anyone? Oh no, NCIS has been running for ever.

AlisonMA Wed 18-Jul-12 17:25:22

Are they both after September though?

JessM Wed 18-Jul-12 18:00:16

C t M in January, and I know Marigold was in the depths of last winter cos i won a GN free ticket to the premier. Very cold night but good to see the glow of marigolds in curzon st.

baNANA Wed 18-Jul-12 18:01:20

I agree Anagram and Merlotgran it would be hard to choose between Blanche in Coronation Street and the equally wonderful nana in the Royle Family.

merlotgran Wed 18-Jul-12 20:16:31

Not many men on here so how about John Hurt as Dr. Iannis in Captain Corelli's Mandolin?

Anagram Wed 18-Jul-12 20:25:04

Pre-2011 Merlot!