Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

iPad advice needed

(43 Posts)
petallus Wed 05-Sep-12 23:40:16

Finally I splashed on an iPad.

Very nice but can't seem to find a star on the keyboard so cannot bold names. Also not the right shaped brackets for emoticons.

Am I missing something?

glassortwo Wed 05-Sep-12 23:47:33

petallus I use DH IPad occasionally and if I remember correctly on the keypad at the bottom left hand corner 123 changes to abc and just above that key is another key with #+= press and keep pressing until it comes to the symbol you require.

glassortwo Wed 05-Sep-12 23:49:56

when you have ?123 they key above shows as an arrow which alters your case, but in abc mode you can see the #+= key.

Bags Thu 06-Sep-12 07:58:45

Key sequence on an iPad to get a * is indeed the .?123 key (which takes you to the number keys), then the #+= key (which takes you to stuff like hashes, plusses, equals signs and asterisks). Have fun, petallus.

whenim64 Thu 06-Sep-12 08:40:03

Enjoy your iPad Petallus. In the first week or so of having mine, it rewrote sentences that I didn't want (ended one email to my sister - 'looking forward to seeing your moron' instead of 'seeing you soon') and a few months on it shows the right word on the screen then mischievously substitutes typos if I don't check again. Otherwise, they are fabulous, and so good for things like educational and games apps for children. When my grandsons arrive they charge through the house shouting 'your iPad charged up, nana?' Very good for distracting little live wires! smile

petallus Fri 07-Sep-12 07:34:52

Thanks for info. Am getting used to iPad.

I just used it to type an email to a friend called jules and iPad called him mules(actually very appropriate as jules is the most stubborn person I have ever met)

shysal Fri 07-Sep-12 08:33:09

I have just bought a Samsung tablet, which the GCs have enjoyed. They made a series of videos entitled 'On the sofa with....', covering subjects such as pet care, rag rug making and healthy eating. They also did a fitness class. I wouldn't have had a clue how to edit and add music, but they easily figured it out.
I had to turn off the spell check as it would not let me type anything without changing it! It took a while to find the right settings menu, but got there in the end.

keld Tue 27-Nov-12 10:20:15

I am posting this message on behalf of my wife who is a computerphobe. However, lately she has been making noises about getting an iPad, which I think would be good for her. But before splashing out, I would like to know a good deal more about it. Does anybody know where I can get unbiased info? The Mac sites are hardly unbiased and besides, use a lot of jargon.

yogagran Tue 27-Nov-12 10:24:01

iPad or a cheaper option of an "ordinary tablet"??

Only ask because I use a Motorola Xoom which I find useful (but I do also have a laptop with traditional keyboard and access to our main computer too). I expect the iPad users will shoot me down but perhaps it's worth considering a cheaper option if it's for a first time user

hummingbird Tue 27-Nov-12 10:33:02

We have an Apple Mac, and a laptop, and I really thought that an iPad would be wasted on me. I couldn't have been more wrong. It is the most useful thing I own, and I am never very far away from it. I don't know about the cheaper ones, but this is brilliant.

hummingbird Tue 27-Nov-12 10:37:11

By the way, not sure if all iPad users know about this... When you log in to Gransnet, if you click on the square button with an arrow in it on the toolbar, you will see a menu. If you click on 'add to home screen' it puts an icon onto your home page, and you can then access Gransnet without having to go through safari. It also means you don't have go log in each time!

annodomini Tue 27-Nov-12 11:00:36

I'd love to have a tablet but can't justify the expense at the moment. DS1 has a tablet running Android and it seems to do everything he wants it to. Other DS bought a HP tablet when they were on offer and his brother loaded the Android OS for him. The children have to be restrained from fighting over it. I would rather like an i-Pad mini which would fit nicely in a handbag, but there are many other good tablets that are much cheaper and do much the same job.

Ariadne Tue 27-Nov-12 11:33:11

hummingbird thank you! But I can't see the button you mention. Am probably in DOB (dozy old bat) mode...

Love my iPad! I had an iPod touch, and a laptop, but the iPad is the best thing ever. Closely followed by my Kindle, which syncs with both. sunshine

Ariadne Tue 27-Nov-12 11:34:16

Found it! I was looking on the GN toolbar. DOB!!!

janthea Tue 27-Nov-12 11:56:15

I love my iPad and it's never far away. I hardly use my computer these days - only when I want to download some music from iTunes.

The grandchildren love it - so much so that I bought both daughters an iPad for their birthdays. DDs now feel the same about the iPad.

I was probably biased as I've had an iPhone from the very first model and can't live without it!! grin

Faye Tue 27-Nov-12 12:06:10

I love my iPad and am using it now while laying in bed (11pm here). I still use my laptop sometimes too but wonder how I ever managed without my iPad. I also watch catch up tv on it and caught up with lots of episodes of Who Do You Think You Are via YouTube on it. Beats some old geezer snoring next to me. wink

Nanadog Tue 27-Nov-12 12:08:30

I too use my iPad all the time and only go to the computer for certain things like printing out photos, word processing and Excel. When i invest in an air printer then I'll be able to print direct from it. You can take photos and videos very easily and email them if required.
With icons on the main screens it's a one button push to access Gransnet, shopping, iTunes, email, photos, Facebook, etc. it's the easiest way to overcome computaphobia.
keld your wife will only need a 16gb iPad I imagine.

Nanadog Tue 27-Nov-12 12:11:56

To add to your main screen ..
when in GN ..look at the grey tool bar at the top of your iPad. See the open book, then the cloud? Then next to those is a black arrow. Press that and hold. A box will appear with options. Choose the one that says 'add to home screen' bingo!

jO5 Tue 27-Nov-12 13:01:05

I have resisted the lure of the i-pad so far. Use a desktop pc at the moment in a spare room (which I call my playroom!). I like to keep the internet separate from other stuff. Would never bring a Forum into my living room.

But that's just me. smile

MaggieP Tue 27-Nov-12 14:24:33

Anybody tried or seen the iPad mini yet?

Mamie Tue 27-Nov-12 14:32:08

I love my ipad, but turned off the spelling correction very fast. It made merry when I was writing in French and corrected everything to (un)likely English words. Did you know that when you need accents, you press longer on the letter and then slide for e acute etc?
Our absolute favourite thing is ipad Scrabble and I can confirm the the journey through the Channel Tunnel takes one and a half games....

petallus Tue 27-Nov-12 15:01:27

Just put GN icon on home screen.
Where is scrabble?

Mamie Tue 27-Nov-12 15:07:52

You download it from the app store. Cost a few pounds, but worth every penny apart from causing ipad wars with OH!

petallus Tue 27-Nov-12 15:21:43

Thanks!

whenim64 Tue 27-Nov-12 15:48:44

Petallus there's also a free one on the App Store called Scramble, which you can play with other iPad owners, with partners on the same iPad, or on your own. Seems to be the same as Scrabble.